Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like we don't have many freshmen here, most people I've read about are Viola fans since the Batistuta era or even earlier.

What I like to discuss here is the years outside the spotlight.

I don't understand (much) Italian, so it's hard for me to get the latest news, but fortunately we were blessed to have dedicated writers at a Swedish fan site for European football that I frequently visit. I read all match reports from the season 02-03 in Serie C2/B and followed the results as much as I could through livescore sites. I was happy that Viola did well and won the league and also to see the great number of supporters attending to the games at Franchi. But to me this season was pretty much all about results as I (to this day) never saw a game with Florentia Viola.

This picture is from the game at home to Savona in April 27th 2003. We won by 3-0 and thereby secured the first place in the table. More pictures from the celebrations and tifo art can be found at www.calcioviola.it.

Next season in Serie B was more interesting as I was able to watch maybe 12-13 hole games. It was a paid online service (I later figured out how to watch the games for free) which broadcasted 3 games from Serie B every round and luckily Viola have always been a popular side, so their games were more than often showed on this site.

The season in Serie B was like a rollercoaster and the dream of Serie A was coming and going all throughout the season. I specificly remember the game on Friday March 12th 2004 at home to Palermo, a game which in my opinion we had to win to keep our dream alive. Di Livio scored Viola's first goal, but it wasn't enough and the game was heading for a 1-1 result. My friends were all waiting for me to go out and party, so when time passed 90 minutes I decided to say goodbye to Serie A. "Another long season in Serie B" I thought to myself. I was frustrated as hell, sad and not at all in mood for partying, but decided not to let my friends down. When I met up, one of them yelled: "You lucky bastard!" I asked what he meant and he answered: "So you're saying a goal in the 92nd minute isn't luck?". I made sure he wasn't lying by checking the result on wap.livescore.com and there it was: "FIORENTINA-PALERMO 2-1". It was a great night with my friends, but I guess it would have been totally different if it wasn't for our Greek striker Vryzas who scored the goal in injury time.

The other big memory from this season is of course the qualification games against Perugia. I wasn't able to watch the first game, but followed it on fiorentina.it. Fantini's 1-0 after 9 minutes was almost too good to be true, I actually expected a loss in Perugia. 81 nervewrecking minutes later and he were halfway there!

The second leg at Franchi was broadcasted online and it was a big day for me and of course all purplehearted from around the world. Can't say that I remember much of the game except Fantini's goal after 51 minutes (and his second yellow card minutes later), the equalizer 9 minutes from time and Ravanelli's frustrated gestures and complaints (was funny as hell when he was substituted and the Viola supporters behind Perugia's bench sort of chased him and provoked him as loud as they could. A nervous end of the game after Perugia's equalizer, so when the final whistle came, it was a great and emotionally strong moment for me.

I remember the small banderole stating "NO FANTINI, NO PARTY" which later became a famous expression among Viola fans this season and after these games it turned out to be so true.

Here's a picture before kick-off between Viola and Perugia from the second leg qualifier.

Those are my stories, now I want to hear yours! Were you able to watch any game with Florentia Viola? How did you celebrate when the dream of Serie A comeback so soon finally came true?

By the way, does anyone have clips (highlights, goals) from the Perugia games to share? I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No doubt, calcioviola is a great site for Viola related pictures!

Should have cut off Ravanelli so the picture would fit better. :hopefull:

Firenze, under your name it says you're a storyteller, don't you have any memories from this period to share?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Ravanelli on the right lol :D

·
Registered
904 Posts
It was hard to follow the season as Florentia Viola, but mostly I got my information on our progress from here. Downloading some clips of some of our goals or occasionally match highlights was all I could ever see of the team. Got to see a few matches when we were in B on Rai International.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
tahoma said:
Firenze, under your name it says you're a storyteller, don't you have any memories from this period to share?

Despite the fact that there doesn't seem to be many freshmen on this forum, I can tell you that I am one. If fact it is likely that I am the 'youngset' supporter of the team. This is the 4th year I'm going into supporting Fiorentina.

Those days are mainly quite hazy, mainly because I was having trouble understanding what I wanted to become and how I wasnted to establish my views on the game of football. However there are some major unforgettable moments.

We tumbled down. Pretty badly.Already having been relegated by finishing 17th. The season of AC Fiorentina was an absolute disaster considering the fact that Cecci Gori was to blame for sucking the club dry whilst being stuck with usless players. Players that threw their talents away or lost form. Nuno Gomes couldn't seem to score a goal to save his life, despite countless assists from the ever inspiring Morfeo. Players like Baronio not realising the potential of his talent or not seeming to care. The entire team seemed to have fallen under depression. Even the loan move of Adriano didn't seem to lift the team, if anything, after scoring a few goals, he appeared to get caught in the team's mentality himself. As the club went down, we were releagted to Serie B. A punishing blow indeed, but it appeared that we didn't have the money to stay registered as a Serie B team, so they stuck us in C1, only to then change their minds as drop us right to the bottom in C2. Our name, colours and badge was officially owned by Cecci Gori, so we had to re-name ourselves since we could no longer call ourselves AC Fiorentina. We called ourselves 'Fiorentina 1926'. As it turned out, the name 'Fiorentina' could not be used at all. It was illegal. Our club was no longer a valid team. We had to rise from the ashes and call ourselves 'Florentia Viola'. It was the toughest blow we could have had. And if that wasn't enough, we were forbidden from wearing purple as the home kit!

.....more later...

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Serie A used to be easily accessed in Australia thanks to all the migrants. But in recent times (2002 onwards), televised games or even updates were harder and harder to come by thanks to the tv rights.

you see Rupert Murdoch, a prominent Aussie media tycoon, bought the rights for his channel 9 OFF the amazing and hard working SBS. SBS show alot of international television; lots of football and great movies. Channel 9 bought the rights then proceeded NOT to televise anything. As a result we got nothing. Thats how it used to be, im pretty sure things have changed but we're still getting screwed over.

In the C and B years, i have to be thankful to fiorentina2000 and Huyn! your updates were amazing!!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Jah said:
In the C and B years, i have to be thankful to fiorentina2000 and Hayun! your updates were amazing!!
Same place from where I received all information about Florentia Viola games and stuff.
That was a super webpage :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Maarek said:
Same place from where I received all information about Florentia Viola games and stuff.
That was a super webpage :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
agreed :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I followed Viola in Serie C2, B and now in A and forever!!

When i used to call them Fiorentina or Viola I never said Florentia Viola.. also i faced many diffculties to find their news, pictures or even infromation about the players!! I visited the fourm that days but i didn't post as usual :lazy:

These seasons are the most diffcult seasons for all fiorentina's fans :frownani: i don't like to remeber them :frownani:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
viola_girl said:
These seasons are the most diffcult seasons for all fiorentina's fans :frownani: i don't like to remeber them :frownani:
Actually me neither, but I mostly wanted to see if people were faithful and cheered for Viola during that time.

To me, the second leg qualifier against Perugia is probably the sweetest memory with Fiorentina.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
tahoma said:
To me, the second leg qualifier against Perugia is probably the sweetest memory with Fiorentina.
I was in Florence this particular day. But not on Artemio Franchi, oh no, I was lying on a hotel room with terrible stomach ache cuddling with my ticket. Mixed emotions so to speak

·
Registered
395 Posts
samourai said:
I was in Florence this particular day. But not on Artemio Franchi, oh no, I was lying on a hotel room with terrible stomach ache cuddling with my ticket. Mixed emotions so to speak
you had the ticket but didn't go?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
tahoma said:
for me that moment was reclaiming something rightfully ours that was stolen from us.

i think the best moment i have of fiorentina was when we were in the CL and a force to be reckoned with. everyone knew our name and we were respected from the best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts