Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has come to a stage where the games are unwatchable. They are so predictable it's annoying. Also some of the teams are just too strong so most of the games are one sided.

Malta 0 - 4 Portugal
Liechtenstein 0 - 6 Germany
Austria 3 - 1 France :D

South American and African qualifiers produce good games. The main problem is in Europe.

·
Registered
69,627 Posts
as I said for many years now, pre-qualifiers like they did at the U21 level a few years ago and what they do in Africa, North America etc...

Teams like Liechtenstein/Luzembourg/Kazakhstan are improving but Andorra, San Marino show zero effort in playing their games, they play a hack style and never think once of shooting on goal

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
South American and African qualifiers produce good games. The main problem is in Europe.
I dont see what the problem is?? :confused:

The European qualifiers are still the most exciting and although it is through that there are some minnows there are still some exciting games.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
If the games are unwatchable then don't watch them.
haha...Common sense is not one of Calcios strong points. God forbid the favorite actually shows up and does what is expected of them. Asking how to improve qualifiers like he wants to add new rules or something to prevent the top teams from winning.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the games are unwatchable then don't watch them.
But I want to watch football. :confused: :rollani:

I guess for someone in Europe you are used to this kind of "monopoly" where the same teams win every time. So you pair the big teams against the small ones just for formality to make sure only big nations go through. You don't want the unexpected that's why even in the major european leagues the same teams keep on competing for the title.

Pre-qualifiers can help eliminate some of the teams. Just like what it's done in ucl. Some of us don't bother watching the pre-qualifiers of ucl and just wait for the groups stages. Who wants to waste time watching Real Madrid against some team from Norway when you know which teams is going to win.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also reducing the number of spots given to europe in wc can bring back the competition. Teams will work hard to qualify just like what's happening in Africa.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Well Voyeur said that too many countries have been broken up into small countries for it to be interesting anymore...like Soviet Union or former Yugoslavia....aside from waging war to reunite these great countries again I am afraid there lies no good choices.

·
Registered
69,627 Posts
well, I am disappointed so few teams from Europe are going to the World Cup in 2010. Only 13? I feel that number is very low and it messes up the system because one runne-up won't even qualify for the playoffs. How do you think that team will react?

Europe deserves a few more teams, 15-16 like in previous World Cups.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Would you not enjoy seeing plucky underdogs doing well though? There'd be no oppurtunity for it. Norn Iron finished third in their group and could have qualified on the last day. They were fantastic viewing against Denmark and Spain, and it was entertaining to watch. Pre-qualifiers would have possibly prevented that.

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
as I said for many years now, pre-qualifiers like they did at the U21 level a few years ago and what they do in Africa, North America etc...

Teams like Liechtenstein/Luzembourg/Kazakhstan are improving but Andorra, San Marino show zero effort in playing their games, they play a hack style and never think once of shooting on goal
wish i was andorran or san maranise?

how many years to gain citzeanship?

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
send all the euro crap nations to oceninic area, if australia can change themselves to asian to increase the level of competition dont see why andorra cant compete with New Zealand and Vanatu and co

·
Registered
69,627 Posts
Would you not enjoy seeing plucky underdogs doing well though? There'd be no oppurtunity for it. Norn Iron finished third in their group and could have qualified on the last day. They were fantastic viewing against Denmark and Spain, and it was entertaining to watch. Pre-qualifiers would have possibly prevented that.
Northern Ireland most likely wouldn't have to go through pre-qualifiers ;)

They did it at the U21 level a few years ago and they took something like the bottom 8 nations, and thinking off the top of my head those would be teams like: Andorra, San Marino, Malta, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Estonia and the rest can't think of right now

Sure these teams can upset once in a while (for example Croatia drew to Malta, Estonia is tricky in Tallinn) but for teams like Andorra, Faroe Islands and San Marino, they have zero ambition in playing and in fact cause more injuries than chances. These Andorran players are dirty ****s

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
True HS, some of the tackles last night made by the Faroes were ridiculous. They had a player rightly sent off at the end but it could of been a couple more.

You do see upsets though (espeically against us :( ) and Lithuania just beat Romania 3-0 away. So its not as if there is no hope for smaller nations.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Indeed I agree... I think Andorra, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Malta and a couple others should play a pre-qualification tournament to enter the qualifications. I know this may hinder any chance they have of improving, but whats the likelihood a country with 33,000 people (Liechtenstein) will improve anyway? Play pre-qualifiers like some of the other continents.

·
International
8,545 Posts
But I want to watch football. :confused: :rollani:

I guess for someone in Europe you are used to this kind of "monopoly" where the same teams win every time. So you pair the big teams against the small ones just for formality to make sure only big nations go through. You don't want the unexpected that's why even in the major european leagues the same teams keep on competing for the title.

Pre-qualifiers can help eliminate some of the teams. Just like what it's done in ucl. Some of us don't bother watching the pre-qualifiers of ucl and just wait for the groups stages. Who wants to waste time watching Real Madrid against some team from Norway when you know which teams is going to win.
You still can and do, nobody forces you to watch Germany v Liechtenstein.

You have it all wrong. On the one hand you don't like to see Germany v Liechtenstein but on the other hand you claim the format is designed to ensure the big teams qualify. So if you don't want to see Liechtenstein play a qualifier than why would you want to see them in a tournament?

If you start a two tier system like the CL all it does it hurt the game overall. Smaller teams have even less chance of qualifying and the big teams have it much easier.

Reducing the number of European spots is a whole other argument and has nothing at all to do with the current format of European qualifying. It seems to me to be a contradiction saying you don't want to watch Liechtenstein play but then you want to see teams like them in the World Cup.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts