Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beginning of the World Cup, I was impressed with the way the assistant referees were calling offsides. However, during the second games of group play, there seems that someone has been instructing them to err towards the defense:( In a couple of games, Senegal and Costa Rica, offsides were being called eventhough the attacker was behind the defender when the ball was struck and sprinted ahead after the ball was in the air!
The official has to keep level with the last defender, watch the ball, and spot where the attacker's position. Sometimes, two of these actions are on opposide from the official and can put him at a bad angle where it appears the attacker is in front of play instead of inline or behind.

The only thing I can think of is adding two more officials (linespeople) whose job is to moniter the strike of the ball. Anytime the ball is passed forward, he will press a device that will buzz the assistant referee, who should be in line with the defender, and can determine if the attacker is onside.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Don't change it all ...

Thats the beauty of sport - human error.

It's when they get the blatant ones wrong you have to worry about - like for instance when an Iranian striker was two yards offside and cut the ball back to an Iranian midfielder to score in a certain game five years ago - but I'm not bitter.

If we are talking line-ball decisions then leave it as is ... remember, there's other issues that cost goals such as missed penalties and dives that are a problem as well ... goals that have crossed the line and bounce out that aren't counted, etc etc etc.

That, as they say, is football.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts