Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say that I'm very proud of Sami Hyypiä. Not because I'm a Laziali, it's because I live in Finland. Sami said to the press that he doesen't if he wins or not.
Just beening nominated was a great compliment.

Houllier has really found a jewel. First I thought that he's just a typical Finnish kicker. Well, he has proven to me and to the whole world that he is a worldclass player.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
What impresses me most with Hyypia is that he turned down the chance to play in the Champions league to come to the pool, hats off sir.

Also why is Di Canio not in the nominations???? :(

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Gérard Houllier has sung the praises of his two players who hope to be
recipients of the coveted Player of the Year awards on Sunday evening.

Sami Hyypiä has been nominated for the Player of the Year award while
Steven Gerrard is in the running to be crowned Young Player of the Year.

Houllier has been delighted with the performances of
both players this season, and has insisted they can
both still get better.

He says: 'Alongside Stephane Henchoz, Sami has been
extremely impressive not only with his defensive
abilities but also with his passing from the back. Sami's
attitude is fantastic and there aren't many players who
can join a club like Liverpool and be made captain in
just three months.

'We should not forget Sami is still a young player. He's also far quicker
than people would think for a man of his size.'

Houllier is also proud of the progress Steven Gerrard has made this
season, saying: 'Steven has taken his game a step further this season.
He filled in for Didi Hamann and Jamie Redknapp extremely well and there
are still a few areas of his game where I think he can improve."

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Let's hope they do a clean sweep for the pool. I don't think Keane should win it as he deserved it last year.
The problem I have is that people only concentrate on Hyypia, surely it's a patnership i.e. H&H. Henchoz is always played down but the fact is he was man of the match for me versus Everton (slightly ahead of Gerrad).

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it has been a excellent season for Hyppia ,and his partnership with Hencoz is better than anybody could have expected .
I cannot see him win the award as I think Keane will win it , but I think he will be in the top 3 .
Himself , Keane and Phillips .
As P.T.I.D. said he turned down CL football to play for us , which is brilliant .
As for Gerard , what a prospect ........
he is a real watch this space story ,......
roll on the CL (fingers crossed )

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Hello, jooso, good to have a fellow Finn here. But you should know that Hyypiä didn't become a great player overnight. He was great in the Finnish league and he was the captain in Willem when they finished second last year.

One thing I don't undestand is that "Not because I'm a Laziali"...

It really doesn't matter much whether Hyypiä wins it or not. What matters is that we have proved to have the best defense in England and I can't see any reason why we wouldn't be even better next season.

PS jooso where in Finland do you live?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Why should Keane win it just bco he plays for the scums? He doesn't deserve it with his constant bookings. He doesn't seem able to go half a season without getting sent off. A bad leader and getting from bad to worse every year.

Let's back Hyypia. He's the choices of fans, even from many other clubs. Sky Sports website has two polls recently (Player of the Season and Best Buy of the Season) and Hyypia came out tops out of thousands of votes with over 50% of the votes.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Hyypia has been better than Keane this year. Last year Keane should have won it over Ginola but hasn't been up to the same standard this year.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I think that Phillips has a great chance of it, if you'd have told me that he'd be top scorer this time last season, I'd have laughed at you. It is a great achievement to have adapted to top flight football so well.

For me I'd still go for Sami as the player of the year, we have the most improved defence, and that is largely to do with sami and Henchoz.

Gerrard's biggest competition for young player of the year is Harry Kewell, and that is sure to be a close run thing.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
About Phillips, has anyone found the number of goals in the PL strange this year.
Already:
Phillips 29
Shearer 21
Yorke 19
Cole 19

Last year Owen and Yorke tied it with 18 goals and the year before it was the same total but with Owen and Dublin.
What is happening??

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Phillips was largely an unknown quantity this year, maybe teams haven't marked him as well as they would Owen, Yorke et al.
I think next season you'll see a closer tally on goals between those going for the golden boot, maybe Fowler and Owen battling each other for it! :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To Kafka !
Not because I'm a Laziali means that not because I'm a Lazio fan.
Don't get me wrong because I like english football
I didn't know that Hyypiä was that good so it
came to me as overnight.
I live in Ruokolahti near to the Russian border. It's about 10 km:s east to Imatra.
The place actually s*cks.

What about you, where are U from ?

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Jooso, I know what Laziali means... :)I just didn't understand what being a Lazio fan has to do with Sami Hyypiä...

I know Ruokolahti well, my uncle lives there. And of course the lion-affair. :) Actually I always thought it was a nice little town. I come from Lappeenranta so I'm very familiar with Eastern Finland. I've lived in Helsinki for seven years now, though.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hyypia will battle it out with keane..while gerard with joe cole

but let us hope our players get both awards!
it would be a real great end to sucha gd season!!

about phillips..yeah many ppl didn't really take care of him and he's been very underrated..even though he's been scoring over 20goals in consecutive seasons..bt in inferior leagues...
owen not being in the top 5 is simply bcos he's been injured so often with his hamstring problems...
i hope next season both fowler and owen will be amongst the top2..hehe :D

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
xax, you forgot that Gerrard will be battling with Harry Kewell! I think it'll be Gerrard, Kewell then Cole for young player.

Probably Keane will win the player of the year, but I think either Phillips or Hyppia deserve it personally.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I think Keane will get it as a sorry you didn't get it last year when you should have. That was a joke.......Ginola had a fabulous season but better than the player who won Man U the treble.....wake up.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
S..t, Keane has just won player of the year with Phillips 2nd. Oh well Sami, u don't need a poncy trophy to show that you're a great player. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts