1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From BBC:

Houllier reveals O'Neill row

Houllier took a phone call from O'Neill about the Anfield job
Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier admits he had heated discussions with Celtic counterpart Martin O'Neill after he was linked with the Anfield job.
Houllier was angry that O'Neill failed to dampen speculation that he would succeed him at Anfield.

O'Neill phoned Houllier and the Reds boss said: "I told him that in the English press there were no denials from him.

"We have sorted it out now and there is no problem. Everything is fine."

O'Neill had been named as the prime candidate to take over from Houllier after he came under pressure following a poor start to the season.

But the speculation has eased after a run of three successive wins and Houllier is confident O'Neill will no longer be touted for his job.

He said: "As far as Martin O'Neill goes, I don't think the speculation about him and my job will come back again.

"It got to the point where Sam Allardyce was being linked with my job last week - that was funny "

"The Martin O'Neill saga has been going on for about 14 months now. To be fair to him, he phoned me. I am pleased that he did that. I value our relationship, as I told him.

"At the time when the rumours were reaching their height, and in a very light-hearted way I just said Martin must have very good friends in the press because his name keeps coming out.

"As I said maybe he has a very good agent. I know now that he has no agent, by the way."

Houllier added: "I think maybe those light-hearted comments had offended him.

"I am sorry about that. But we have sorted it all out now, and there is no problem. Everything is fine.

"In the first stage, yes, the rumours were irritating; then at the second stage it became extremely entertaining.

"It got to the point where Sam Allardyce was being linked with my job last week. That was funny."

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Yasir said:

"It got to the point where Sam Allardyce was being linked with my job last week. That was funny."
I'm not an admirer of Bolton nor their coach, but at least he has low financial resources to spend from on new players, has the odds stacked against his team in every game, & ever since reaching the EPL they were favorites to go down every season, has a decent squad, but doesn't match ours, but yet, they play entertaining football, excite their fans, & he doesn't enter every season promising fans of glories that are beyond his teams' reach

D

·
0 Posts
I'll be disgusted if O'Neill gets the job. He's an average manager who encourages boring long-ball football and he hasn't proven himself to be capable of doing such a job, like the LFC managers one.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
I'll be disgusted if O'Neill gets the job. He's an average manager who encourages boring long-ball football and he hasn't proven himself to be capable of doing such a job, like the LFC managers one.
Agreed

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Doc _Rule

You can encourage Hietzfeld to be linked to us. heh. If he can be linked to Spurs, then why not us?

His actual successes (CL Cups) will make Ged sweat more unlike Martin "I win lots of SPL!" O Neil

heh

just a thought. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Hitzfeld is one of a number of European managers who we should be looking at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts