Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The man England will fear most next weekend in the Far East could have been a Liverpool player!

Arsenal's Freddie Ljungberg undoubtedly possesses the greatest threat to England's chances of kicking off their World Cup campaign with a victory after his sensational end of season spell at Highbury as he helped the Gunners complete the double.

But Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has revealed that the super-Swede would, in an ideal world, have been a Liverpool star.

Houllier said: "If we had the money back in 1998 then I would have signed him for Liverpool.

"Freddie was offered to us when he was still playing for Amstad. I was interested but I wanted to use the money I had to reinforce the defence."

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
You can't blame Gerrard for putting the defence above Freddie. It's only been over the last 2 seasons that he's been showing what he can do.

I know throughout the 90's I was tearing my hair out wanting a defence, so I'm happy with the decision that Houllier made on this one:)

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Of cos the defence is more important. I totally agree with Houllier. Plus Titi Camera too....

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Believe it or not, I don't consider Ljungberg something really special. He can sure run into open space and score goals but thats about it. He is not particularly complete as a player so a close defence which doesn't leave empty spaces can neutralise him as he can't really take on players or use the ball like Pires for example does.

A good player, but thats it. There are many like him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
amoroso - i get your drift, BUT i cant think of many players who have had such a prolific impact in such a short space of time.
for a midfielder to be so clinical really is special.
the opposition knows he makes the runs, but they just cant stop him:)
in my opinion he's more of a complete player than patrick vieira, which says something:)

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Well, isn't Paul Scholes as clinical?

I'm not saying Ljungberg is a bad player. Quite the opposite. What I'm saying is that he is a good player to have but thats all. He scores a lot of goals if he has someone feeding him the right balls and he has space to run. This is why with Sweden, where due to the general lack of creativity, his role is more complicated and he has to carry the ball and create game, he has been found lacking. I was told by a Swedish friend of mine recently that a big percentage of Swedes want him benched in the WC! :eek:

Ljungberg is a good player and under the correct circumstances he is a great weapon, but he is perfectly stoppable. And he would struggle in a league like Serie A or Bundesliga. He would rule in Spain though.

Kudos to Arsenal for using him to his best though. :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
RazorUK said:
Wrong! Dundee was signed by everyones favourite Uncle Roy;)
I know that. I was talking in general about signing crap strikers when in fact we should've signed quality defenders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts