Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emile Heskey has all the ingredients to become one of Europe's leading strikers, according to Reds' boss Gerard Houllier.

Heskey will lead the line alongside Michael Owen at Wolves tomorrow as the Reds go in search of three important Premiership points, and Houllier insists his big striker has it within his armoury to become one of the most fearsome strikers on the continent. :fero: :fero: :fero:

The Reds' boss said: "Emile has been playing well of late and showing what he is capable of.

"There is no doubt in my mind he has all the ingredients to become one of the best strikers in Europe. :nasty: :nasty:

"He is strong, quick, has a good touch, two good feet and he can score goals. He can be unstoppable.

"Sometimes he needs a bit of extra confidence and a bit more belief in himself. But there's no doubt in my mind how good he can be."

-----------------------

:howler: :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Yeah and so can Carl Cort. :rolleyes:

To Houllier it seems coulda/shoulda/wouldas are like oxygen.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Emile Heskey in the plastic treble season was unstoppable.There was a time when he was strong, had a good touch etc...Not what we have seen to frequently in the past two years.Emile used to have power, pace and confidence.Why a 25 year old man who gets babysitted, paid 45k a week and constantly picked and back for club and country is low confidence i dont know.

Remember the Supercup against Bayern when Heskey had the ball outside the box and he just powered through the Bayern defence and finished sweetly over Kahn, and the Roma at home in the CL(GHreturn), 3-1 vs the Mancs at Anfield.The old Emile was brilliant.Now he doesnt even have a workrate.

Anyone here the "I realise my future is on the line with Cisse and i only have 18mths on my contract so i will have to start doing better if im going to get another one" This was just prior to Chelsea when his performances and workrate suddenly leaped.Cant wait until the waste of space and money leaves.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
So what's wrong with what was saind Mindscape?

He said COULD BE not IS which is fairly accurate taking into account KOTK's evidence. Heskey COULD be a top, top class striker, unfortunately the thing stopping him is his lack of ruthlessness and his fragile confidence.

If he had Owen's temprement to go along with Heskeys attributes we'd have a quality striker instead of one who hasn't fullfilled his potential.

D

·
0 Posts
Emile Heskey doesn't have two good feet, he has one decent one and one awful one. He rarely scores goals, his first touch is horrific at times and he's just plain crap. Houllier has lost the plot and is trying to make believe he got a bargain when he spend £8million too much on the £3million rated Heskey.

·
Registered
197 Posts
He rarely scores goals, his first touch is horrific at times and he's just plain crap.
i somehow agree with u Doc, Heskey has just gone downhill these years, probably his in the wrong team, or with the wrong manager. He never seems to shoot for goals now, his like creating goals for others. His always goin bak to midfield to help others, which is in one way good.
Maybe its our weakness in the midfield and needs the help of Heskey is making him loose everything...

everytime i make an opinion it somehow always leads back to Houllier where the problem began???...:confused:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I also want to add that i dont think he could be one of the top strikers in europe.But a bloody lot better than he's done in the last few years.I also think he hurts us more than he helps us sometimes.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Its easy to look good in small club and struggle in a big club, look at Micheal Ricketts (although Boro isn't a big club but it is still bigger then Bolton), look at Carl Cort.

Heksey dun have 'all the ingredients' needed to make it, even if he has so what? He still can't make the leap in class.

Of cos there are good players from the lower teams who CAN make the jump to being a class act in a big side. It takes more then abilities to succeed, players requires confidence and right sort of mentality.

Michael Owen is short, Lineker can't run and control over 10 metres, Signori has one class foot and one useless foot. But so what? They made it anyway.

As far as I see, his first touch is absolutely horrible, can't score (had 1 fluke season) and his heading is average for a big guy. Why some people say he heads well is beyond me.

Houllier biggest mistake is not in buying him, his biggest mistake is not selling him when he has the chance to over the past 2 seasons.

·
International
1,878 Posts
The problem with Heskey?

Simple. We all know he has the pace, the height and the strength. Isn't that good skills to have if you are a forward?

He had Leicester fans' going all ga-ga over him and was one of their prized assets during O'Neil's time. Then someone bought him over to Liverpool and I can still remember the gush of excitement I had wondering if he could be another Liverpool great in the making.

Now we see people dissing him off week-in and week-out. HE is a decent player and can play better (his inclusion in the England national squad can be a testimony).

So what went wrong here? Why can't he be the next Les Ferdinand who had the strength, the height and the finishing?

Ever since he starting training at Melwood under the current regime, i.e., Le Red Scarf, he had been designated as "the man upfront whom we shall aim our long balls at so that he can knock it down for St Mikes". He has become more of a target man up front than a finisher of goals, which has become Owen's sole responsilibility. After seasons of conditioning and not given a fair chance to enhance his finishing skills, he has become the player who, in our opinions, does nothing but hurt the team. Does anyone remember how much Erik Meijer got the stick from fans for not scoring a goal during the time he wore that Liverbird on his chest? Right. Heskey simply succeeded him in that role under the current regime.

So maybe we should not diss him off like that. And one fear I have is that if he ever leaves Liverpool one day, I have a feeling that he might become a better player than he already was when he was with us.

The gaffer makes a lot of difference.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
The Donkey heskey is a star:star:

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
the MAIN weakness Heskey has is his pathetic first touch in tight areas.

RVN has the top 5 best first touch in the world, that's what makes him to lethel in the box, every first touch he makes will bring the ball to exactly where he wants away from the defender, he peels off and gets a shooting chance.

Henry is not far behind with his first touch then comes a host of good strikers like Angel, Bergkamp, Mutu and so on. Good striker, whether striker in chief or foil striker always has exceptional first touch because upfield it is congested with defenders.

He has it differently at Leicester because his role is primary a fetch and carry role, just get the ball deep in his half and bring it as far as possible. Pass to Heskey and ball and let him run as far up as possible. What made him look good there is he is good at finding his strike partner after such a run. (e.g finding Cheyrou against Chelsea)

Unfortunately for him we do not play in such a way, whether it is GH long balls because his heading is average, and yes his first touch is below average, or in a sophisticated setup because as a striker he can't get into scoring position with his bad first touch and as a support striker he take too long to make the decisive pass and movement. Its faster at the top level and he needs to make split decisions about everything he does.

Unfortunately the impression I get it he can't be arsed about all these.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Who are the other 5?

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok RVN has one of the best first touches in the world.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
One of the best in europe in what way?he can't even score on a consistant basis what makes Houllier think he could match it with the best.

D

·
0 Posts
CardiffRed said:
Who are the other 5?
In the world?? as far as first touch goes, Sheva, Raul, Ronaldo, Kluivert, Henry, RVN, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc. you could name 50 strikers with a better first touch than Heskey. I could name 10 players in our squad with a better first touch than Emile.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Romario have the best of the players currently playing. his touch was out of this world, the best I seen since Van Basten. (if we only count strikers)

D

·
0 Posts
In terms of first touch i'd actually put Romario ahead of Van Basten. I've never seen anyone that could kill a ball, no matter how high or how fast it came at him, like Romario, with the exception maybe of Maradona.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Red Mist said:
Anyone remember Bergkamp World Cup 98 against Argentina? Pure genius. :star:
Now THAT is pure quality. The best goal in that tournament, and would have been in most tournaments. I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when that goal happened, and it was so good I started jumping and shouting, even though I wanted Argentina to win!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts