Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
heres an interesting opening to an article i found on www.soccernet.com

*The cynics will argue that it was a matter of time before they were found out, but game 36 proved to be a step too far for Liverpool as their title dream was snuffed out.

Winning games 1-0 week after week is a skill in itself, but there is always a chance that you can slip up once in a while and Gus Poyet's 41st minute goal ensured this would be Gerard Houllier's date with destiny. In what always looked likely to be their toughest game in the title run-in, they simply didn't have the firepower to respond when it mattered most.

And maybe it is fitting that either Arsenal or Manchester United will be crowned champions. Without wishing to be disrespectful to a side that have done so well under difficult circumstances in the last nine months, Liverpool could hardly be described as entertainers and it was their lack of invention that was always likely to cost them dear at some point.

Boring supporters and the opposition to death and hitting them on the break has carried Houllier side a long way, but it was never going to be enough. *

the last paragaph is the most important

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Cant see them winning the league anymore.;)

Finally they have been made to pay for their boring tactics and Spurs revealed the lack of creativity and class in that Liverpool midfield minus Steven Gerrard.

Goodbye to them and hoping that Arsenal drop some points against Bolton on Monday.:angel:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Spurs have more depth and are more technical than Liverpool, we all know that. Spurs just took control of mid field and brought it down to their own tempo, and it fustrated them until they conceed a goal.

Liverpool rely on the counter-attack tatic (pace) and using their blundering 7ft defenders to go up for the corners.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Liverpool rely on the counter-attack tatic (pace) and using their blundering 7ft defenders to go up for the corners.
Pool only looked threatening during set-pieces when they caused some trouble ith the height advantage.Other than that Spurs midfield was never put under intense pressure and Clemence had a fantastic game for them.While the likes of Murphy and Riise were running around chasing flies,the Sprurs midfield passed the ball around with some aplomb.

What was it???.......10 games away from greatness???:D:D

Well 8 gone and they are still as far away from it as they were back then.;):D

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
teddy sheringham did well for the spurs,t he way he drops deeper and just slows the game down is awesome...

and as the commentator said " sheringham slows the game down to his pace, which is walking pace"

·
International
9,526 Posts
What I wouldn't have given for Teddy to have been out there against Bayer. We needed a leader out there, a thinker. He would have brought those qualities to our game. Why oh Why did we let him go:confused: :depress:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred Elliot said:
What I wouldn't have given for Teddy to have been out there against Bayer. We needed a leader out there, a thinker. He would have brought those qualities to our game. Why oh Why did we let him go:confused: :depress:
Twas a good decision IMO.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
i agree with fred, teddy is a genious, hes a true professional and controls the game to his liking, i would have loved for him to spend another season or two at old trafford, hes still got a lot more in him

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh well never mind. The final next season is a home banker........isnt it?:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Bolton 0-2 Arsenal - Liverpool hopes snuffed out

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts