Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Drummer said:
HAs anybody noticed taht LIverpools "winning streak" has coincided with them reverting back to the most boring football available???
Yep, was always going to happen. He'll bore his way to fourth and then try and convince people that it was a successful season.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
:rolleyes:

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Shows much much we have become a 2nd tier team.

Think about teams achieving good positions from grinding out results, think of the likes of Sunderland, Leicester in recent years.

The entertainers among the 2nd tier teams tend to get little reward playing good football as Hoddle and Burley found out to their cost.

Its it as if we can't play attack simply because we are not longer good enough for it, we have to resort to the defensive grind to achieve our best results.

So there people, your request for attacking football is crazy cos we are a 2nd tier team and no longer the top 3.

4th is better then midtable. Be happy with what we can achieve.

D

·
0 Posts
CardiffRed said:

given that inter are your second team, i can see how boring long-ball football would appeal to you. Do you think 4th is acceptable for this club??

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
CardiffRed said:

All we want is to be succesful without playing like Wimbledon.Our Central midfielders are Didi Hamann And Steven Gerrard not Vinnie Jones and Dennis Wise.OK ?

Damned if you do ie play a high paced game of pinball which is meant to be attacking with no success or play defensive hoofball and dirty the name of LFC with no real success.

I dont mind playing how we are to get back on track.But we will see this for the rest of the season.Then a new manager can come in and sit down with a few videos of Arsenal and incorporate the words pass and move into the players vocab.And watching a history of LFC and a few interviews with past managers wouldnt go astray.Aswell as reading my signature.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
We needed to get back to some strength and solidity. That is the first basic and it is what we've gone back to.

"We know we are not playing particularly well, but we need to dig deep together to produce results. The important thing is how we approach the game and make sure we get the win. That will breed confidence.
In a nutshell.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I have already said that i dont mind playing like we have for the past couple of games so we can get back on track, but we will see it for the rest of the season.

Doc-I presume you mean stealing it *for* your WFB profile.Be my guest !

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Will we?

Given that it's been said numerous times that the club wants a more attacking approach then I'd say the chances are we'll see a bit more adventure once we are in a position to do so (nice winning streak, Finnan/Baros etc back).

Untill we have our players back and the confidence has returned I'm more than happy to grind out results.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
King of the Kop said:
All we want is to be succesful without playing like Wimbledon.
sounds as if he made us successful, and all we need now is just to add some kind of zest to our game.
We are not only playing like Wimbledon, we r just about as much "successful" as they are. And if Wimbledon had players and money that we have not sure if they were as boring and unsuccessful.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
zico said:
And if Wimbledon had players and money that we have not sure if they were as boring and unsuccessful.
They did have Carl Cort and paid £8m for John Hartson... :tongue:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I think taht the only problem is houflier.
He only has one way of playing and thats the way things are now. Hes not looking to stabilise results so that he can build a new attacking exciting team. Hes only looking to extend his stay of execution. He is not capable of playing any other way. It would be like Wenger trying to make arsenal play like Liverpool, it would be a disaster. houflier should play to his strenghths and go to the serie A.

·
International
1,878 Posts
I think taht the only problem is houflier.
He only has one way of playing and thats the way things are now. Hes not looking to stabilise results so that he can build a new attacking exciting team. Hes only looking to extend his stay of execution. He is not capable of playing any other way. It would be like Wenger trying to make arsenal play like Liverpool, it would be a disaster. houflier should play to his strenghths and go to the serie A.
Well said and man, it came from a Manc!

·
Registered
155 Posts
There's an excellent coach called Hector Cuper available if you wan to get rid of Houllier. The thing which is better with him than Houllier is that at least Cuper can win with his dullball

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
RobyBaggio said:
at least Cuper can win with his dullball
when he was at Valencia & Inter, there was significant improvments on the results side, but on the silverware, nothing new, 2 CL finals (Valencia), & 1 CL semi-final with inter, reaching the semis of the UEFA Cup with Inter, finishing 2nd in 2 consecutive (spelling?) seasons in Serie A, the last thing we need is improvment without winning any silverware that really counts (I'm talking about the CL & EPL, not FA cup or Carling cup, or to some extent the UEFA Cup can count as not good enough for a club like Liverpool :proud: )

in the last 14 or so years we've been improving, sliding, improving a bit, sliding a bit, this can't go on forever, we need a coach that has a Shankly-type charisma, someone that actually enters every game with the team as if he had everything to lose, his life, family, the whole world, to treat every game as if it was a World Cup final, GH's approach is very laid-back, sometimes I get the feeling from his press conferences before big games like against Manu or Arsenal that it's as if we're playing at home, to some conference or 3rd divison team, we need some anxiety, some passion, so far since Owen emerged through the ranks, the only players that had such impact and that we can have some confidence that they can turn games around are Gerrard & Kewell, in the Arsenal & Man Utd games Kewell looked like the only player who could have done any damage to the opposition, and he actually did by scoring against them both, but one hand doesn't clap, and 2 or 3 players simply can't make up for the mistakes (and boy how many are they) the other 8 duffers do..

we simply need a whole shake-up in the system, we need to change the mentality, every team has at least 1 player upfront who other opposition teams try to undermine his danger as much as possible, but for us, apart from Owen when on-form, & Litty, we had no such player..

before we know, we'll start considering a UEFA Cup place a success, Blackburn & Fulham anyone?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts