Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allsvenskan kicks off today with the Skåne derby Landskrona-Helsingborg. My head is filled with hopes, wishes and expectations about the upcoming season, and I'm pretty sure yours are too.

The most important thing for a Hammarby supporter is always to stay clear of relegation. Last year's events hasn't changed that. However, the squad should be much to strong to be involved in that battle and the team's goals are set higher.

The squad is actually stronger this year than last year. The only major loss is Lasse Eriksson. Sure, you don't replace the best goalkeeper in Allsvenskan very easily, so it's obviously a big loss, but I don't think it's as bad as some people think. I'm sure both Hellström and Covic are able to do a decent job.

In all other parts of the team the squad is stronger and deeper. Winsnes will take a starting position on the central midfield and both Pohja, Piñones-Arce and von Schlebrügge are able to compete for a place.

The injuries to Hermansson and Johan Andersson are obviously worrying, especially Herman's since that is basically the same injury he had last year and still hasn't recovered from. However, this year the squad is deep enough to handle these injuries. Last season, if both Herman and Johan would have been injured Trym Bergman would have replaced them both... :)

I'd be quite satisfied with a top half finish. I'd be happy with a top 5 finish. Anything better than that is a bonus.

This is how it will end:

1. Helsingborg - Very strong squad, determined to do a better season than last, Cratz will have a positive effect

2. AIK - The squad is as strong as HIF's. If Peter Larsson can get them to realise their potention they will threaten.

3. Örgryte - They have an excellent midfield and good strikers. The defense may be a weakness.

4. Hammarby - We won't reach the same heights as last year, but we will still surprise the experts.

5. Djurgården - The midfield is possibly the best in Allsvenskan, and Isaksson is an excellent keeper. The other teams have learned how to counter their passing games and they will have problems breaking through massive defensive lines.

6. Göteborg - Mild is obviously a big loss. The squad is talented and will challenge in a few years, but not this year.

7. Örebro - Scored lots last year, but they also conceded lots. It will be the same this year. If they get a good start they could surprise.

8. Malmö - Is probably a better team without Zlatan. Yngvesson and Skoog is a very good strike force. Defense, and especially goalkeeping, will be a problem.

9. Halmstad - Losing Selakovic and Michael Svensson will be tough. Strong defense but weak attack. If Sharbel Touma starts delivering what his 1999 season promised they will do better.

10. Elfsborg - A very talented squad, but they're not really ready this year. A lot is dependent on how Hasse Berggren does.

11. Norrköping - A team without any kind of edge or profile. Many new players and a new coach. Kristian Bergström needs to improve from last year.

12. Sundsvall - Has lost Yngvesson and "Foppa" Forsberg. Apart from that the team is intact. Fredrik Sundfors must be in good form to avoid relegation.

13. Kalmar - Predicting that the newly promoted teams will be relegated is kinda boring, but I do it anyway. I just don't think they're strong enough. Kalmar has Lasse Johansson in the squad which guarantees relegation. :D

14. Landskrona - An offensively skilled but physically weak team. The midfield will have problems against strong opposition. If they get a good start they could surprise.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Yalle, I almost agree on your entire predict table, but I'd like to see HBK higher since they're such a strong team machine, and ÖIS lower, I know they have a strong potentical, but I doubt they'll be among the top 3.

The two favourites are of course Helsingborg and AIK, and I think AIK will take in the end. Last year they made a miserable spring season, and still they managed to end up at 3rd place. This year, now that they've played more together and started to work like a team, I think they'll be amoing the top teams from the beginning to the very end.
Helsingborg will be strong and just like AIK, constatly among the top 5, ending either at 1st or 2nd spot.
But I don't think Hammarby, DIF or Göteborg should be ruled out.
If HIF has got a stronger team than last year, logic tells me they could do even better. Problem is that all the other teams, specially the smaller clubs will want a scalp from the ruling champs :D
Last year we saw Göteborg do a remarkble rise after Mild returned from injury, if they wont be able to recover now without him, they might be in big trouble. If they managed to somehow move on without him, they will be just as strong as AIK and Helsingborg.
Sure most of the teams has learned the way DIF plays by now. But question is if even with the blue prints in their hands, can stop the control and speed of DIF's midfield, specially now with Källström added to the stronghold.
MFF has also recovered from the short session in Superettan, and are prolly hungry to fight for the gold again, and they sure have the squad to make that happen.

I'm looking forward to a great year of football, with Allsvenskan bigger and better than ever, and then the coming WC :happy::excited:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yalle said:

1. Helsingborg - Very strong squad, determined to do a better season than last, Cratz will have a positive effect

14. Landskrona - An offensively skilled but physically weak team. The midfield will have problems against strong opposition. If they get a good start they could surprise.
:D :happy: :howler: ;)

just kidding, its still possible.;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So much for my predictions... :undecide:

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Yalle, you're not alone ;) :dielaugh:
Now I guess we both wish we didn't post those predictions :eek:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The season is over and it's time to summarise. I'll compare the outcome to my predictions from April.

Here's the table for reference:

Code:
Djurgården  26 16 4 6 51 - 33 52 
Malmö       26 14 4 8 52 - 32 46 
Örgryte     26 12 8 6 49 - 38 44 
Helsingborg 26 10 8 8 38 - 38 38 
AIK         26 9 10 7 35 - 38 37 
Halmstad    26 8 12 6 35 - 28 36 
Örebro      26 9 8  9 32 - 39 35 
Sundsvall   26 8 9  9 29 - 35 33 
Elfsborg    26 8 8 10 24 - 31 32 
Hammarby    26 8 8 10 43 - 42 32 
Landskrona  26 8 6 12 41 - 39 30 
Göteborg    26 8 4 14 26 - 38 28 
Norrköping  26 6 9 11 37 - 40 27 
Kalmar      26 6 6 14 19 - 40 24
1. Djurgården - I hate to admit it, but they were very worthy champions. I was surprised by how good Källström actually was and how strong their defense was.

2. Malmö - Ijeh and Skoog was the best strike force in Allsvenskan. Majstorovic was probably the best central defender. Goalkeeping was a problem, but that didn't really matter.

3. Örgryte - My first correct prediction. I think my comments before the season were quite correct as well. They did rely heavily on their strong midfield and attack.

4. Helsingborg - Weak start and a somewhat stronger finish gave them the first spot in the "pack". Cratz didn't have the positive effect I predicted, but firing him didn't do much good either.

5. AIK - A similar season as Helsingborg. Svante Samuelsson wasn't the injection I expected. Had Krister Nordin been in the team all season they would have finished higher.

6. Halmstad - A very weak start and very strong finish. Went unbeaten in the last 11 games! When Sharbel Touma got up to speed they got the attacking skills they lacked in the first part of the season.

7. Örebro - Mid-table mediocrity as usual for Örebro. The second team I predicted in the correct position. Not much more to say about them...

8. Sundsvall - Fredrik Sundfors was in great form and they avoided relegation. Eighth is their best position ever.

9. Elfsborg - The young squad mixed highs with lows. Their time will come.

10. Hammarby - A disappointment. I had three targets that would have to be fullfilled for me to be satisfied with the season: a position on the upper half, advancing a couple of rounds in the European cups and winning one derby. None of them was fullfilled. Everything that went right last season went wrong this one. Andreas Hermansson and Johan Andersson were injured for large parts of the season. Mikael Andersson and Suleyman Sleyman didn't live up to the expectations. Lasse Eriksson was sorely missed especially as captain. Winsnes didn't add as much as I expected. Anders Linderoth described the season as a rollercoaster ride. There were lots of lows and a few highs, but even in the good games there were periods when the team fell apart. They didn't keep a clean sheet in a single competetive game all season.

11. Landskrona - The opposite to Halmstad. Started brightly but fell towards the end. Took only two points in the last nine games. Must still be satisfied with their season as they managed to stay up.

12. Göteborg - Possibly the biggest disappointment. A total lack of creativity on attack. The return of Mild didn't help much.

13. Norrköping - Kristian Bergström didn't improve from last year. Still a surprise that they were relegated. They shouldn't need to with that squad...

14. Kalmar - Well, they did have Lasse Johansson... Lasse till Jugårn! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts