Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the Dutch are worried about what shirt they are going to wear for this match, The US will be at Full strength. So I am predicting that while Holland is not trying to get there new Kits dirty the US will be sticking the ball in the back of the net.;) The full roster is as Follows:

U.S. team close to full strength against Netherlands

CHICAGO (Feb. 12, 2004) (AP) -- The U.S. soccer team will be close to full strength for the first time since the 2002 World Cup when it plays an exhibition game at the Netherlands on Wednesday.
Forwards Brian McBride, Landon Donovan and Clint Mathis; midfielders Claudio Reyna and John O'Brien; and goalkeepers Tim Howard and Kasey Keller were on the 22-man U.S. roster announced Thursday by coach Bruce Arena. The game will be at Amsterdam Arena, the home stadium of O'Brien's team, Ajax.

Eleven players are with European teams and 11 with Major League Soccer.

The chief omission is Blackburn goalkeeper Brad Friedel, the starter for the United States at the 2002 World Cup, where the Americans advanced to the quarterfinals. Arena intends to alternate his goalkeepers so they don't travel to games only to sit on the bench.

The Americans are 0-9-1 in Europe since beating Austria in an exhibition game in April 1998. The U.S. team is preparing for the start of World Cup qualifying against Grenada or Guyana on June 13.

NOS radio in the Netherlands reported Thursday that Barcelona forward Patrick Kluivert will miss the game at Amsterdam because of a knee injury.

The U.S. roster:

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard (Manchester United, England), Kasey Keller (Tottenham Hotspur, England), Jonny Walker (MetroStars)

Defenders: Gregg Berhalter (Energie Cottbus, Germany), Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham, England), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96, Germany), Cory Gibbs (Dallas), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus), Eddie Pope (MetroStars)

Midfielders: Chris Armas (Chicago), DaMarcus Beasley (Chicago), Bobby Convey (D.C. United), Chris Klein (Kansas City), Eddie Lewis (Preston North End, England), John OBrien (Ajax Amsterdam, Holland), Claudio Reyna (Manchester City, England), Kerry Zavagnin (Kansas City)

Forwards: Conor Casey (Karlsruher, Germany), Landon Donovan (San Jose), Clint Mathis (Hannover 96, Germany), Brian McBride (Fulham, England), Josh Wolff (Kansas City)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is my hope on the starting line up:

Tim Howard----GK playing well for Man U

Defenders Berhalter Cherundolo Pope Bocanegra

Midfielders Armas Obrien Reyna Beasley

Forwards Donovan Mcbride

A hat Trick for Donovan is in the cards here.:)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
yeh^ we better win this game i swear to god... Why isnt brad friedel on the goalie list?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Question, but I may have the answer. Tim Howard has to be in there and now concidered our #1. he is playing better than both of them in the EPL. Now Keller or Friedel as you cant have both, as niether will figure in 2006 with thier age and injuries. Niether have played particularly well so I would have gone with Keller as well. Only on the basis of Brad comming off knee surgery and having to play in the EPL no use risking an Injury and putting more strain on that knee.

Arena will need to develope a back up to Tim Howard, and I think Walker might be the Guy. He played well against Denmark, and has done well since replacing Tim at the Metrostars.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Walker is good The metrostars are always getting the good goalie

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wierd how all that came about. We lose the best Keeper in the MLS Howard, and here Im thinking My God Graffer is going to be #1 There goes our season. But then they announce Walker. Now the Name itself doesnt instill a lot of confidence, Johny Walker, Great we have a distillery playing for us. Then no one ever heard of him. Grew up as a military brat and was educayed mainly in Chile. Playing for some obscure club no one ever heard of.
Then I watched his first match and I wondered if he could even punt the ball. Every Goal kick was to a back, every time he cought the ball he threw it to a back, Now the game in South America is different and it is a slow build up from defence to mid field to offence, something we arent use to here, but it got the job done.

I just wonder about what scout managed to see him in Chile and report back to the MLS?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres a little Bio On Johnny Walker:

Personal Profile
The first American player to establish a successful career in South America… An athletic and confident goalkeeper with vast experience in the Chilean First Division and Copa Libertadores… Loaned to Huachipato of the Chilean First Division in 1998 and proceeded to turn heads in the city of Concepcion by winning the starting job and securing a loan deal for the remainder of the season… Made his Catolica debut at home being named man of the match in a 1-0 shutout of San Lorenzo of Argentina in the 1999 Copa Mercosur… Helped Catolica to a second-place finish in 1999… In 2000, Walker displaced Chilean National Team and 1998 World Cup goalkeeper Nelson Tapia for the starting position at Universidad Catolica… Helped Catolica through to the second round of the 2001 Copa Mercosur… Won the 2002 Chilean Apertura National Championship (league title during spring season), while being named the best goalkeeper of the season with Catolica… In the 2002 Chilean Clausura National Championship (fall season), Walker led Catolica to a second-place finish behind Colo Colo… recorded the club’s record of 708 consecutive shutout minutes… In the off-season, Walker joined Colo Colo and helped the team to a runner-up finish in the 2003 apertura championship, dropping the two-legged final to Cobreloa… Played one game in the 2003 Cop Libertadores posting a 2-2 tie with eventual champion Boca Juniors on April 3, 2003.

#1 Jonny Walker, Goalkeeper
Position: Goalkeeper
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 180
Born: 9-13-74 in Torrance, California
Hometown: Memphis, Tennessee
College: Louisville
How Acquired: Acquired on July 14, 2003, to replace Tim Howard
Previous Clubs: Colo Colo, Chile (2003); Universidad Catolica, Chile (1997-2002); Huachipato, Chile (loan; 1998-1999); Jacksonville Cyclones, A-League (1997); Dallas Burn, MLS (1996); Memphis Jackals, USL (1992-1993)
National Teams: U.S. U-23; U-17

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
If the US cant control a little bit of possession 0-2 or 3-0 Holland and John O'Brien is out( a hamstring) A big L!

Too bad kyle Martino is not there. He is a pure playmaker;he reminds me of a young Ortega. Just look what he did against Cameroon last year. They couldnt contain him, so they had to take him out and he was sidelined for two months!!

Right Winger
#10. More of them
Right Back

US major problems at the moment. However , there is some hope for the future . Some good players are coming: Gregorio , Mapp?(he is a left winger) , Danny , Martino, Mullan(He looks like decent right winger)Memo , Russell , McCarthy, Eddie , a revelation player :D , ?? i cant remember his name , ect.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its going to be hard to controle Rude. So my guess is still a draw, 2-2. Rude scoring the only goals for Holland, and Donovan and Mathis(just to piss me off) will score for the US.

·
Registered
447 Posts
we lost 1-0 i watched the game its a tough loss we played average but with scoring oppurtunites that we had at the end of the game we should of finished one of them. We came out flat at the start of the second but we showed heart by stayin in it and tryin to score.

With eddie pope missing because of a sudden illness i think Gibbs stepped up tremedosly and had a brilliant game in the back. Beasly played good i think he shoulda finished one at the end of the game though.

This was a good test for the US playing a highly ranked team hopefully we can come away with a lot of positive things from this loss and build on it as a team

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Good no call on the foul in the box when dude took at Beasley...Wow decent game and yeh we came out really flat and we where playing to Defensive minded

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
yeh we still had opertunites but not alot lol in the first half we had like 1 shot on goal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts