Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Half:

I only saw the second half so my first half report is based on what I read.

Holland dominated most of the first half through Kluivert, Overmars and Bergkamp. They created some good chances that they either missed or were saved by Lobont. The lone goal of the first half came from Overmars in the 43rd minute.

Second Half:

In the second half Romania came on. They started to create chances. However, the Dutch struck first through Kluivert who received a nice through ball, evaded a slow footed Popescu and dribbled Lobont to score in the 68th minute. In the 80th minute Hagi struck a freekick which was defelected by Moldovan into the Dutch net. His 20th goal for Romania. After that Romania had 2 great chances both of them set up by Hagi and both missed by Ganea. One chance Ganea was point blank with the Van Der Sar, but he just missed the net... very very dissapointing :) The second one was similar, but Van Der Sar made a great save. Later on Hagi sent a curling free kick which was nicely saved by Van der Sar.

Overall: A good game from Romania and Holland. Both teams blew huge chances. I think the result was fair.

A side, note Davids had a last minute injury to his toe and did not play. For Romania, Ilie, Galca did not play.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
it is time to worry because romania is not playing like they should be. with these kind of results, they wont make it far in euro2000.

·
International
9,682 Posts
Well, Argentina, you saw the first eleven with Maldarasanu and Lincar. What do you want them to play?

In the 2nd half Munteanu and Contra entered and you saw the difference.

Also this match showed that we miss Galca very very much and also Ilie.

I think the best Romanian players were Lobont, Contra, Mutu and Hagi.

I guess this would be the best eleven for EURO 2000:

Stelea (Lobont)
Contra - Popescu - Ciobi - Filipescu (Chivu)
Galca
Petrescu - D. Munteanu
Hagi
Ilie - Mutu

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
You may say whatever you want about the second goal but it was ENTIRELY Lobont's fault.Popescu was obviusly holding back Kluivert so the goallie can go out and catch the ball,when Gica realised that Lobont was just looking he had to make that desperate tackle and of course failed.Lobont had all the time in the world to come out and grab the ball but he was late and Kluivert dribbled him.

BTW.How could Ganea miss that? Mutu's pass was great but its unacceptable for a striker (Ganea) to miss this chance.

Also someone must tell Contra and Haghi to whine less because the last thing Romania needs in the EURO is red cards for complaining.Hagi may be ok because the refs respect him but Contra must stop...

------------------
Parma will fight back...FORZA PARMA!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AMOROSO!: Yah, thinking about Kluivert's goal made me think how slow Lobont was getting to Kluivert. His inexperience really showed there. Mutu proved himself to be reliable in this game and I think he should start along side Ilie, who would probably finish the chance by Ganea no doubt. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the matter about Hagi being too temperemental and prone to cards. He said this to the press after asking Hagi if a repeat of the UEFA Cup final could happen at EURO 2000:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Calm down, there won't be problems of this type. I have enough experience not to respong to the challanges made by my opponents."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts