Votes: 8 32.0%
1 - 20 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A silly thread as usual, this time with a silly poll:D
Still it is a topical question now I hope :D
So, what is your fave holiday? And why do you like it so much?

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's so quiet here so I'll be first:D
My fave is my b-day (yes, I am so selfish... :eek::D).
Many friends of mine prefer New Year to birthdays because "the atmosphere is much more festive then and New Year is a holiday of everyone while birthday is a personal thing". I agree with this but... I still prefer a holiday to be my personal :wallbang::D

·
Registered
67,317 Posts
when i reach 21 christmas will take over as #1:D

by the way it sux over here, whenever i tell people my christmas is on January 7th they have no idea wtf i'm talking about.:(

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dmitriy said:
when i reach 21 christmas will take over as #1:D
lol:D damn... then I should have voted for New Year...:wallbang:
by the way it sux over here, whenever i tell people my christmas is on January 7th they have no idea wtf i'm talking about.:(
well, most Europeans get surprised when I tell them about our Christmas too...

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
people who vote... would you please explain your choice? :D
esp. if you vote for "other"... I am so curious:(

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
the best day of the year (In England) is Boxing day! It's today!
No work, all the stress of Christmsas is over and there is a full football programme.
Perfect.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Dmitriy said:
why's it called Boxing day?
It used to be the day when people would give each other presents, wrapped up in little boxes, before the tradition switched to Christmas Day.
It is also St Stephen's day, the 'feast of Stephen', when good 'king' Wenceslas 'looked out' - according to the Christmas carol.
Although, he wasn't a King, wasn't particularly good and, as we was killed by his own brother, probably didn't 'look out' as often as he should.

Up to a few years ago, the Boxing Day football fixtures would be the local derbies, because people didn't want to travel very far for football over the holiday season, but having 30 or 40 great big punch-ups around the country on the same day ("Boxing/Kicking/Nutting Day":)) eventually upset the spoilsport Scrooges who run football.

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:D when I first saw the name of the day I thought about some fight that people who drank too much and suffered from headache after an x-mas party would have b/c they all would be irritable...:D
but that's a Russian view obviously:howler::D

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I don't like Christmas (maybe a cliche nowadays, but i'm just really cynical by nature). I don't like my birthday (getting far too old, should probably start saving for funeral expenses). Therefore, by default, it has to be New Year. The only night of the year when you can unleash projectile vomit over a crowded bar-room and not be out of place (in Glasgow anyway). :thmbup: :drunk:

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, I am just as old as you but I still like my birthday:eekani::D but you guys made me think I am really old now :wallbang::depress::D
Christmas... here we don't celebrate it and as for Catholic X-mas... I dont like it b/c of all the stupid Hollywood Christmas comedies that are on here during Christmas time :yuck:
(although I admit I'm gonna watch "Surviving Christmas" on Tuesday :eek::howler::D)

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
I don't like Christmas (maybe a cliche nowadays, but i'm just really cynical by nature). I don't like my birthday (getting far too old, should probably start saving for funeral expenses). Therefore, by default, it has to be New Year. The only night of the year when you can unleash projectile vomit over a crowded bar-room and not be out of place (in Glasgow anyway). :thmbup: :drunk:
This sums up my thinking about holidays perfectly. :thmbup: :howler: :howler: :D :D :D

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Fracky said:
:D when I first saw the name of the day I thought about some fight that people who drank too much and suffered from headache after an x-mas party would have b/c they all would be irritable...:D
but that's a Russian view obviously:howler::D
that's accurate, but in England that's Christmas Day.:D

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Fracky said:
Boxing day?? :eek: I've never heard abt it:eek:
How did you managed to know nothing about that day? :eek: Haven't you study in so-called english school? Мне там плешь проели этим праздником. :wallbang: :D
I'm voting for the New Year 'cause Christmas is smth too religious for me (and don't forget about my Soviet childhood ;) ) and Birthday... the older I become the less attention I pay to my birthday. Some day I will probably forget about it at all. :D

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Infinity said:
How did you managed to know nothing about that day? :eek: Haven't you study in so-called english school? Мне там плешь проели этим праздником. :wallbang: :D
:D
I went to a German school...:howler::D
I'm voting for the New Year 'cause Christmas is smth too religious for me (and don't forget about my Soviet childhood ;) ) and Birthday... the older I become the less attention I pay to my birthday. Some day I will probably forget about it at all. :D
lol but be sure, your friends (or rather enemies? :confused: ) won't... :howler::D:D

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
New Year is bigger than Xmas in Scotland, isn't it? Down here it's traditionally just a mass brawl, with the prospect of waiting five hours to have your wounds stitched without anasthetic by a nurse in very bad mood.

Anyone else a fan of (either Orthodox or Prod/Cath) Easter? It's our first holiday after 1st Jan, and summer is just about on the horizon.

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we used to celebrate Easter before we moved to Moscow. It was even a day off at school then, and if I'm not mistaken a Tuesday before Easter was called smth like "Parents' day" and everybody went to the graveyards. There's something similar here in Moscow too but the day is different, I dont know why.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Christmas - strange mix of religious sence and assotiations with "Рождественские встречи Аллы Пугачевой" :D difficult for me to love it :pp
New Year - I used to like it when I was child but now it's just a bit sad day with lots of food :rollani: my lazy nature doesnt enjoy month-long search of presents :pp
My birthday - naaah :D

So, start of every new season is what I prefer :D

1 - 20 of 343 Posts