Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AMSTERDAM, June 11 (Reuters) - Euro 2000 favourites the Netherlands got off to a winning start with a lucky 1-0 victory over the Czech Republic thanks to a late Frank de Boer penalty. De Boer stroked home the spot kick in the 88th minute after his brother Ronald was controversially judged to have been pulled down in the area by Czech captain Jiri Nemec.

The goal was a cruel blow to the Czechs, surprise finalists at the last European Championship in England four years ago, who had easily had the better of the second half, hitting the woodwork twice in the second half through Pavel Nedved and Jan Koller.

(source: Yahoo! World soccer)

Whoa! Some game it was! At the beginning I thought it was just a matter of time before the Dutch eventually scored...but they just couldn't find the net! And in the defensive display shown by the Czechs, Nedved managed to make some good runs towards the Dutch's defence area several times...BUT that was only the 1st half!
2nd half...the Czechs really showed some great attacking plays. Pavel Nedved was absolutely brilliant - running, running, running, and that ALMOST goal! The Dutch were really stunned. In fact at more times than one, it looked like the Czechs would be the eventual winners.
So a dramatic finish it was, to game that perhaps should have a draw as the fair result. Just minutes before the final whistle was blown, there came the penalty! It just broke my heart to see how devastated Nedved was after Collina gave Holland the penalty (still it was a penalty fair and square). The end result was really cruel to the Czechs, and even Frank de Boer admitted that his side were lucky to have won...

Kudos to Nedved - not only was I impressed by his great performance, but also he showed great fighting spirit! :cool: So many times he was knocked off, and even at times I thought he would be substituted after having had to leave the pitch TWICE. But he continued playing, and sometimes he looked more like the Czechs' captain instead of Nemec!

Forza Nedved

·
International
8,545 Posts
After the first half, I was wondering what went wrong for the Czech's. I was even starting to think they really weren't that good, I was losing faith in them. But in the second half they came out flying. So many near chances, goalposts, crossbars. They were all over the Dutch. I think most of us would agree that there's just no way that was a valid penalty. I'm not going to knock Collina, as I have much respect for him, and from his angle, I'm sure it looked like a penalty.

This is bad for the Czech's though. France looked really good in their game, scary even. Now the Czech's are in a tight spot.

I hope they can keep their composure after this loss, it'd be a shame for them not to progress through the group stage.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yeah, I agree with IVO. You were amazing in the second half, and I was angry you lost to Hollad:( . I also expected more from the Danes, but they lost too. Anyway, I know you can win against France and Dennmark, and I wish you do because you deserve to qualify for the next stage.
Good luck in the next matches Nedved!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yeah, I agree with IVO. You were amazing in the second half, and I was angry you lost to Hollad:( . I also expected more from the Danes, but they lost too. Anyway, I know you can win against France and Dennmark, and I wish you do because you deserve to qualify for the next stage.
Good luck in the next matches Nedved!

D

·
0 Posts
Well if you followed the match France - Denmark closely then IMO Denmark played very poor. I now that they have very little star players, and that France consist mainly of star players, but I still expected more from the Danes.
At the moment France is slightly better than the Netherlands, but I think the Dutch will overun the Danes in the next match, the Dutch usually perform much better in the 2nd match they play at a big tournament, like Euro 96 outplaying Switzerland and beating them 2-0 and WC 98 thrashing South Korea 5-0.
But the Czech's were hard done by the Dutch on Sunday. The Dutch didn't play like serious contenders at all in the 2nd half and the Czech outplayed them. And even though Ronald De Boer did do a dive, shirt-pulling just isn't allowed, and the Dutch know that, remember Stam tugged Jugovic's shirt in WC 98 against Yugoslavia and got a penalty. Too bad he missed, but Holland's only good PK taker, Frank De Boer, hammered home from the spot.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks giani_82 ! To me the main worry for the Czechs now is the low morale :( after the cruel defeat. On the contrary, the match was good for Holland because it made them aware of their weaknesses!
Perhaps it would be better if we were to face Denmark first, before France...but it's not to be. And Nedved doesn't look really fit for this upcoming game! I just hope that the players can recover their grit, determination and fighting spirit for the match against France.

And yes Driver X, it was Denmark that played rather poorly in the match vs France. I didn't really see anything stunning in the display by the French. It was the Danes. Schmeichel was just average (for his standard!) and worse still, several key players were injured. I was hoping for Jorgensen to bring a glimmer of hope, but he wasn't really fit anyway and Denamrk really missed the Laudrups terribly, indeed!

Now I'm hoping for the best :) ...but expecting for the worst :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts