Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In-form Arsenal midfielders receive awards

Two Arsenal players have been commended for their performances for Arsène Wenger’s outfit in recent weeks — Alexander Hleb and Cesc Fabregas.

Belarusian international Hleb, 24, topped a poll run by the respected Russian daily, Sports Express, for the best CIS player of the month (CIS being Commonwealth of Independent States — formerly the USSR).

The Arsenal man edged AC Milan’s prolific Ukrainian striker, Andriy Shevchenko, into second place.

Eighteen-year-old Fabregas, meanwhile, has been awarded the Association of Football Statisticians Performance of the Week for his display against Juventus at Highbury last Tuesday.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
I can only imagine Jerns thread production count if you actually win the CL ;)

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear Footballfriends,

one step to the semi-final of the Championsleague! Only one step - but by sure not an easy one.
We must be absolutely present in Turin from first second on - then we will reach our great goal. Of course we are favourite, but in football - as you know - lot of things can happen.
I hope that I get my chance from the beginning on from my coach Arsene Wenger. Would be proud to
help my "gunners" in this important match.
Thank you all for the best wishes to the "Swesda-Award", for the best football player in March 2006 of the former Sowjetunion Countries. This makes me absolutely happy and gives me further motivation for the future challenges!

See you soon, yours Aleks

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
865 Posts
The "Zvezda" award is organized by Sport-Express newspaper, but the actual votes are from the representatives of all the former USSR countries.

Aleks got 64 points in march, edging out Sheva by 2 points.

·
Registered
42,582 Posts
It was a great defensive performance from him, cut out many balls and assisted Eboue.

But with regards to goals and (especially) assists, he's still a "nearly man". He could've had a goal and assist (his shot wide, and he passed to Cesc who fired at Buffon.)

But congrats to him.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
he seems to give away the ball ALOT when under pressue with his passing, especially around the middle of the field, its definitly somthing he needs to fix up. But when we are going forward he makes good runs with and without the ball and can play the pass that sets up the goal (like second goal v juve)

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
I feel he will improve allot, in 3 years i have a feeling he will be ne of the most dangerous players in the world, defensively hes become very good, hiss passes are very good, and goals will come at 27 he will be a SuperStar for the team.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
he would have at least 10 assists this season if it wasn't for our dodgy finishing.

imagine what we will be like when our midfielders start putting the ball into the net rather then blast wide or straight at the keeper.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Hleb still has room for improvement but is still a gem nonetheless, not only can Arsenal win the CL this season but this crop of talented players could actually dominate Europe in coming seasons. :eekani:

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still think Hleb would be better on the left so he can cut inside on to his right foot, Walcott might get us goals from the right, there is lots of possibilities.

but simply to take us to the next level our midfielders have to start scoring next season.

Hleb, Reyes, Fred and Cesc are all guilty. :nono:

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
I still think Hleb would be better on the left so he can cut inside on to his right foot, Walcott might get us goals from the right, there is lots of possibilities.

but simply to take us to the next level our midfielders have to start scoring next season.

Hleb, Reyes, Fred and Cesc are all guilty. :nono:
Exactly, over the years we've always been traditionally dependent on getting goals from our wingers.

·
Banned
3,325 Posts
The amount of talented players in your side, is looking very promising indeed. If you can make them all click, i think you will dominate european football. Along with Barca of course. Maybe the next couple of years :thumbsup:
Looking forward to next season, and hopefully you can beat the living shit out of those russian boys :thumbsup:

Having said that, you really don´t need more talented youngsters.
So leave ours alone, deal :thumbsup:
Oh, and see you in Paris :cool:

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
General opinion was he was rubbish, couldn't adapt and was a waste of money.

Now there is hope he could be one of the best.

The answer of course is somewhere in the middle.

I love his work-rate and attitude, he's got on with it and giving himself every chance to succeed.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
^^

He's also a strong player and one that can hold on to the ball. These assets are very handy in European football.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DougCoglan said:
General opinion was he was rubbish, couldn't adapt and was a waste of money.
I don't think that was general opinion, many thought that for sure but many others thought he looked a class act and all we needed was patience, though i see your point as i think even Hleb had some doubts about it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i was very pleased when hleb came to england. had read quite a bit about him and liked his attitude to football. After watching his first season its clear hes got the attributes needed, but hes just looked sometimes like he didn't know what to do next, which you don't get long to decide in the premiership, but it was the same in europe, maybe is unwillingness to shoot is linked with this i don't know. i think if he could develop his reading of the game (and his speed of doing so) he could be brilliant, although i'm not sure it is a skill you can easily learn, more of a "you have it or you don't" ability. Mind you playing with the players at arsenal can only help in that respect.

Like to hear if you agree or not:smileani:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts