Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Joined
·
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really udnerstand, did the EPL start in 1992? What does this mean? What were the division breaksup before? Also, I'm kind of Interested in some teams. First, Forest Green interests me very much. what kidn of team are they and do they hvae a chance of going anywhere soon? What about WBA?
 

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
12,813 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
I don't really udnerstand, did the EPL start in 1992? What does this mean? What were the division breaksup before? Also, I'm kind of Interested in some teams. First, Forest Green interests me very much. what kidn of team are they and do they hvae a chance of going anywhere soon? What about WBA?
The English leagues have been structured and restructured repeatedly since it first began.

But since 1980

There was Div 1, Div 2, Div 3, Div 4, Conference, Non league pyramid
(teams only got promoted to Div 4 from conference if the club met certain criteria)

in 1991 The Premiership started
Then The old Div 1 became The Premiership, and we had
Premiership, Div 1, Div 2, Div 3, Conference, Non League Pyramid

At some stage in the last 10 years, there has been automatic promotion between the conference and Div 3.

Also around the time the Premiership started the play offs were introduced, and have proved to be a big success.

I dont know too much about Forest Green.

But WBA :D Thats my team. There is a thread all about them in the Nationwide forum above.
Or the link is here WBA

I'm very hopeful we will get promoted this season we have one of the best squads in the division, if only the manager can get the best out of them. Got Coventry at home on Saturday, but Cov have recently been on a very good run, so it'll be a hard game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,291 Posts
Re: Re: History of English Leagues

Balis-of-Steel said:
I dont know too much about Forest Green.
Forest Green are in the lowest form of league in England the Conference, I think they are at the wrong end of it aswell! :eek: As for them going any where soon the only way is down I fear :stress:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,034 Posts
You go down to the Dr Martins league . Not sure if its still called the same though. Was Beazer Homes league not long ago.
 

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Joined
·
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow...I mean, how far down can you go? Because looking at teams in Conference, I see that many of them have 600 attendance. How do these clubs make money?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,291 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Wow...I mean, how far down can you go? Because looking at teams in Conference, I see that many of them have 600 attendance. How do these clubs make money?
A good chairman and lots of sponsership is normaly how they do it :dazed:
 

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
12,813 Posts
From the conference there are three feeder leagues
Ryman Premier, Dr. Martens League, Unibond

Only the champion of each league goes up into the conference.
With 3 teams going down from the conference.

The 3 leagues are in a north middle and south format location wise. Quite often one club will be playing in the Ryman Premier and depending on who goes down will actually switch leagues to the equivical league of say Dr. Martens. It gets very complicated.
Beneath each of those leagues there are 3 divisions, 1st 2nd, 3rd, after that you get the county leagues.
 

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Joined
·
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information guys...By the way, these footballers probably make nothing. Do they usually work two jobs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,529 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Thanks for the information guys...By the way, these footballers probably make nothing. Do they usually work two jobs?
Clubs in the leagues below the Conference tend to be part-time footy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,223 Posts
I heard from somebody who supports a Unibond League team (Altrincham), that due to travelling expenses there will be two conferences next season. There will be the Conference north and the Conference South. This means that there will be 24 in each league. 12 go up from the Unibond therefore.

One team gets promotion from each league I think. It will be brought i next season. Or so I am told.

~ The Green ;)ne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,291 Posts
The Green One said:
I heard from somebody who supports a Unibond League team (Altrincham), that due to travelling expenses there will be two conferences next season. There will be the Conference north and the Conference South. This means that there will be 24 in each league. 12 go up from the Unibond therefore.

One team gets promotion from each league I think. It will be brought i next season. Or so I am told.
I think this is a bad idea but if it saves clubs money then go for it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,387 Posts
Some players in the Conference depending on their wage have two jobs, there are a few teams who are stricted professional and this usually reflects in their results. However I know that some of the Conference teams train only 2-3 times per week (obviously to allow for other jobs).
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top