Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on TeamTalk and it seems reasonable....

ARSENAL CONSIDER KEEPER SWAP - REPORT
Arsenal could be set to exchange Jens Lehmann for Suttgart goalkeeper Timo Hildebrand, reports in Germany claim.

Hildebrand confirmed on Tuesday that he will be leaving the Bundesliga club in the summer after turning down their final contract offer.

The 25-year-old is considered heir apparent to Oliver Kahn in the German Nationalelf and might already have assumed the mantle had the veteran Bayern Munich stopper not delayed international retirement to lead the hosts at the 2006 World Cup.

Hildebrand now has limited options in his home country – Stuttgart are themselves one of the Bundesliga's biggest clubs and his rejection of the Swabians is a mark of high ambition and wage demands.

Former boss Felix Magath now coaches Bayern Munich and is thought to consider Hildebrand the ideal successor to Kahn at club as well as international level.

But the Bayern skipper is unlikely to move before 2006 as any transfer would jeopardise his World Cup chances.

Champions Werder Bremen are keen to replace ageing stopper Andreas Reinke but, like Hertha Berlin, will struggle to satisfy Hildebrand's demands.

German daily newspaper Das Bild on Wednesday threw a new permutation into the ring by suggesting a swap deal with the Londoners.

Lehmann is out of favour at Highbury after a series of high-profile errors and Arsene Wenger would doubtless be delighted to recoup some return on a high-earning 35-year-old substitute with a habit of speaking his mind to the media.

Matthias Sammer meanwhile will lose Hildebrand for nothing at the end of the season and would therefore consider a switch in the January transfer window.

Lehmann is a favourite of the Stuttgart coach after starring for Sammer when he led Borussia Dortmund to the championship and UEFA Cup final in 2002.

And Wenger remains keen to sign a top-class goalkeeper with Manuel Almunia increasingly suspect as the current incumbent at Highbury.

Hildebrand may be behind Lehmann in Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann's thoughts but many put that down solely to experience – the younger man is considered one of the best prospects around.

He has excelled behind one of Europe's meanest defences for the past three seasons and in 2003/4 broke the Bundesliga record for consecutive minutes without conceding a goal.

Wenger has indicated that transfer activity is unlikely this month but said the same 12 months ago before signing Jose Antonio Reyes for a club record fee.

Hildebrand's wage demands are not excessive by Premiership standards and, as he would cost little or no fee, would fit into Wenger's plan of assembling a young, talented and ambitious side on a modest budget.
Would be a great deal if you can pull it off imo. Noone loses out and both teams would be happy.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
It would be illogical if we didn't make some kind of move for him.

- He's leaving Stuttgart;
- Stuttgart are interested in Lehmann, so a swap + cash deal is possible;
- Lehmann would get the opportunity to cement his spot for WC 2006;
- We seriously need a keeper who can an established number one for a long time.

IMO, money shouldn't bother us. This is an area of our team that needs an injection of real quality, along with CB. Midfield and attack can wait for now. We should definately make a move for Hildebrand, and hope he doesn't want to sign for the Mancs.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Kill two birds with one stone. Gives you an opportunity to dump Lehmann and bring in Hildebrand. Hildebrand will be getting plenty of offers now that he can be had on a Bosman. Do this deal and you don't have to worry about being outbid plus you can dump Lehmann in the process.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
It worked with Wurmuz...might give the swap-system a shot again. We really have nothing to lose...

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
I think the longer Hildebrand is open to make a Bosman move, the harder it will be to get him. Besides, Bayern have this uncanny ability to sign their Bundesliga rivals' best players for nothing or next to nothing. IMO Kahn could be forced out as they may not want to wait until next season to find his replacement much less pay for him. McGath must want the kid too.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If we swap Lehmann for Timo, we would effectively kill any chance Jens has of playing for Germany in 2006.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
zonetatious said:
If we swap Lehmann for Timo, we would effectively kill any chance Jens has of playing for Germany in 2006.
I think Jens can handle that all by himself.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Yes, but is he good enough??

I dont mean is he better then lehman or alnmunia, i mean is he going to be/ is world class??? i.e. one of the top few keepers in the world? which is what we need.

·
Registered
69,536 Posts
the move to Ukraine really killed him...he was expected to become one but the injury prior to Euro 2004 cost him the #1 spot in Shakhtar. The problem is he hasn't a match since Croatia's friendly before Euro 2004 (he might of played a few league matches)
Doubt the move is happening anyway, he could be going to WBA or Boro too though.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Good choice. If you get him then that is one slot covered. 2 more to fill. I thought Frey was heavily linked in the past but it seems like Inter will get him to replace Toldo.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Petros said:
Yes, but is he good enough??

I dont mean is he better then lehman or alnmunia, i mean is he going to be/ is world class??? i.e. one of the top few keepers in the world? which is what we need.
Yes, he is.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It'd be a perfect swap. Timo was one of the best keepers last season, really helping Stuttgart in Bundesliga and Champions League....

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Some info about him.

Sammer on arsenal-mania.com said:
I have seen a lot of Hildebrandt, since he got the No1 spot at Stuttgart. In his first few months as a pro, he did have some problems, because he was very young and the media really picked on him.

But he developed tremendously under Magath and he quickly outclassed the likes of Kahn, Lehmann & Co. You can say about the Bundesliga what you like - it sure isn´t the best league in Europe, but the standard of goalkeeping has been excellent in Germany.

To his height: he is immensly agile, with outstanding reflexes and - like great keepers - has the ability to see the direction of the ball coming just right before it is shot.

Remember that he broke the all-time record of not conceding a goal for about 10 league games in a row. You don´t do stuff like that in a team like Stuttgart by just being a lucky guy.

Sure, he is not Buffon - but considering our funds and other options around - and especially our need for a LONG TERM keeper, he might be the man we need for the next 8-10 years.

Whether it´s Hildebrand, or Abbiati....we need an adequate keeper soon.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Sammer was going fine until he mentioned Abbiati in his post. For Milan fans, every free kick is a penalty if Abbiati is between the sticks :rolleyes:

nEEbz

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've seen a bit of Hildebrand and he's very agile and pulls off some great stops, but I've also seen him make some mistakes - so I'm not sure he's totally reliable. Although, considering how erratic Kahn and Lehmann are, he's probably the best German keeper around now.

The keeper I want Wenger to get is Cudicini - why is nobody making any offers for the best keeper in the EPL last season?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Because there is no point of making an offer to a team which doesn't need money. Chelski will only give( yea... give, not sell) Cudicini to a team which won't threaten them......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts