Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy totally totally sucks. I mean...what the hell. I dare anyone to tell me that Jardel is the key to our team...our key is B A I A. Without B A I A we are not the same team....we lose that swagger of cockiness when Baia does not play. So what do we do? I say make a bid for Barthez...it will be hard..but go for it. Lama is leaving PSG as well so make a bid for him as well. Rossi is done with Milan..make a bid...and also I hear stories that Marchegianni (Lazio) is done as well..make a bid....see if Ovchinikov is availiable, try for Quim...but most of all make a serious offer for Baia. We are not going anywhere with hilarious Hilario between the posts.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I thought u were hilario's number 1 fan.
I think quim will be the next baia and I hope benfica get him before porto do but I can see a quim for correia + cash deal in the near future.

J

·
0 Posts
marcoa i totally agree the guy is a joke,i could do better...rossi would be good but quim would be better,i also like the prospect that v.setubal (unfortunately) got relegated so there top keeper marco tabuas might wanna leave,even if we get him 4 the "b's" who cares...

------------------
FORCA PORTUGAL
FORCA DRAGOES

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no...I have never been a big fan of Hilario...I praise him when he does well..but I know he is not the keeper for Porto.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not liked him since the ManU disaster.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

B

·
0 Posts
Can't blame one man for FCP's fiasco. When you win only 6 away games out of 17, you've got problems deeper than just the keeper.

We've gotta clean house beginning with Fernando Santos. This team has lost its heart.

Congratulations Sporting! I wish Inacio had signed with Porto 2 years ago....

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that one man cannot be to blame...but how many "frango's" did Hilario let in this season? I can't count them because I don't have enough fingers :(

As for Santos.....perhaps...but only if we bring in a foreign coach because another Portuguese Coach will do the same crud.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

O

·
0 Posts
Gentlemen

Easy with your knees as you get off the bandwagon!

I agree we need to make some adjustments, especially in net and at front with Jardel leaving. Like I've said before, Baia is not the answer to our problems in net. Forget about Lama he's a piece of work! Just ask West Ham. Barthez won't come to Portugal, because he's probably going to Man. U. We need a Portuguese solution. I really like Quim, but from what I've heard and read Ovchinikov is probably the likely solution.

For the love of God, please let's sit back and examine things with a little bit of patience and time. Lets not get carried away and start pointing our fingers at everyone. Let Benfica internally destroy themselves as they have been doing for the last decade and will continue to do as we will see this summer. As far as Inacio is concerned, I like the man especially for what he's done for FCP. However, he is no Fernando Santos. Inacio could not carry Santo's shoes if he wanted to. As a coach no thanks. He has no pedigree or experience )It seems that ex players have a divine right to coach right after their career ends - aka Vialli - What the hell is he doing coaching Chelsea!) and as far as I am concerened he was pretty much lucky to win this year. Let us be frank and realistic here. FCP lost this championship not because of SCP dominating the Primeira, but because we stumbled. As far as I am concerned we lost the championship, they did not win it. Let us not forget that we still have the best team in Portugal that is capable of winning the Primeira and competing outside of Portugal's borders. Only time will show SCP's shortcomings as a team when they compete with Europe's best in the Championship's League next year. Benfica demonstrated that quite well this year. If they can't compete in UEFA God knows what is going to happen in the Championship's League. Lazio and Man U are no Salgueiros.

------------------
Viva O Norte
Viva Porto
Viva Futebol Clube do Porto
Viva Pinto da Costa

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Now you know how we (Benfiquistas) felt when we had Bossio defending our net. And I think he is staying in Benfica. :(
What we need besides Enke is a Portuguese talent such as Quim.
Hilario is not Baia, but Baia is not what he used to be...

------------------
BENFICA--Forever

[This message has been edited by LadyEagle (edited 15-05-2000).]

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But Hilario IS better than Bossio. LadyEagle if I understand properly here...you don;t like Enke? The guy is the MVP this season for Benfica.

Ola....you and I both know that I have never liked Fernando Santos. Sure the guy took us far in the CL and he won the league for us last season...but c'mon...how many 2-goal leads have we blown the last 2 years? How many times has this made stupid substitutions? I don't point the finger at him...but c'mon he has to take a fair share of the blame here.

As for Baia, no he is not as good as he used to be BUT like I said he gives our "D" that confident swagger and when we play like that we are beating Benfica 2-0, Sporting 3-0 and Real Madrid 2-1. Everyone remember?

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

D

·
0 Posts
Give the guy a chance, he's still young and learning but I can safely say that we would of won the Championship had Baia been fit. We lost the championship in the Farense game, all 3 goals were saveable but not for Hilario.
Our country has never produced any quality goalkeppers anyway, not world class anyway, at 1 point Baia looked to have changed that until his injury at Barca which has changed his career.
Be realistic about Barthez as well, maybe follow Sporting's example and buy an old goalkeeper.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Amazing how in defeat some Portistas still point to Benfica's errors! It so amusing that their team finishes one place ahead of Benfica and still they must point out Benfica errors before they can reflect on their own...talk about a sense of insecurity :)!

All I know is that even with all the mistakes that Benfica made they were still team enough this year to have a say in this championship by beating you guys and Sporting.

BTW I thought the problem with Porto was not the coaching or even the goalie...the problem was Deco falling out of form and never regaining it! If you have Zahovic that never happens. Just an opinion.

[This message has been edited by RedEagle (edited 15-05-2000).]

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Marcoa, you misunderstood what I said.
Are you kidding me? Me not liking Enke? I am a big fan. He is a young talent. I think Enke is great, and I wouldn't exchange him for any other keeper. But what I think is that Benfica (once again) will probably sell him in a couple of years. I really hope they don't. That is the only reason, I think Quim would be good for Benfica. I would like to have the same goalies, except take Bossio out and get Quim (or another player with talent, preferably Portuguese). That is just what I would like to happen (very unlikely, right?)

And of course that Bossio is worse than Hilario. All I was trying to say, is that if for you it is frustrating having Hilario in the net, imagine us. And I don't even think Hilario is a bad keeper.

And Baia... its unrealistic for you to think that he still plays at the same level. I remember the time, when he was such a big deal. It's like me saying that JVP is still at the same level. I know it is not true, but I still see him as a good player. As I do with Baia, but he is not the same. (And I am Portuguese, so of course that I would like to see him performing like his old self)

------------------
BENFICA--Forever

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hilario better than bossio, well how much more praise can a guy get!!!!
As for santos leaving I really could not see the point in this. He took porto to the Cl q/f and was very unlucky not to go further, he came only 4 points behind a team that played 13 games less and he is in the cup final and whatsmore santos leaving would probably bring you in to a benfica problem where a new coach comes in every year wanting his own players leaving the club further and further in debt.

D

·
0 Posts
I agree with SLB, Fernando Santos is a good coach and we must keep him without any doubt. Case closed on Fernando Santos. He stays and that's that :)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahhhhh...LadyEagle you misunderstood me this time :) (that makes 1 for each of us :) ) I didn't say that Baia was at his old level....at least I don't hink I said....I just said that with Baia in the net the "D" is more confident and thus we can be more agressive on the attack.

RedEagle...yeah Deco falling out of form is a good reason as well.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

O

·
0 Posts
Insecurity!
Definately a wrong diagnosis Red Eagle.
Out of ten games maybe Benfica wins 2 and FCP 8. Can happen to any team out there.
as far as mentioning Benfica all the time, well lets just say that Benfica has brought Portuguese football to an all time low. You can say that it has set a precendent of sorts. One of shame, international embarrassment and pitty.

Granted Deco wasn't at his best, but I would not take back Zahovic even if Benfica payed for it :) (Now there's something funny) FCP doesn't need any pieces of work like Zahovic. Why doesn't Benfica get him?

One more thing RedEagle. Please don't take this as a personal insult, but I figure you must be quite immature. It seems that you really don't have any concept of what integrity and self-respect are(as far as Benfica goes). If you honestly think that all that matters is if your 'Team' wins then you got alot to learn about life and football. I am always amazed and stunned at the bravado that comes out of your mouth and other Benfica fans. Simply stunning, considering your team is a joke. Actually I should be complimenting you because after all the shame and embarrassment you and others have gone through you still have the balls to even come on this board and post messages about Benfica this and Benfica that. Bravo! Bravo! Now there's an example of persistence and loyalty.

Yes I and others always mention Benfica because it makes me feel so good. If that's what insecurity is then maybe I was wrong. Maybe I am insecure But! it beats being immature.

------------------
Viva O Norte
Viva Porto
Viva Futebol Clube do Porto
Viva Pinto da Costa

[This message has been edited by Ola (edited 16-05-2000).]

·
International
5,629 Posts
*Sigh* So I'm immature because I have "no concept of what integrity and self-respect is"...In other words you would like me and other Benfica fans to go hide in the woods because Benfica didn't win and is "a joke"...BTW do you notice how you contradict yourself in every post?...you claim all I care about is wins, and then compliment me for supporting a loser... :)
Please don't take this as a personal insult but your sense of insecurity blinds you from writing clear logical arguments...If you're going to call me immature, at least have the logical wit to write clearly and not contradict yourself in every sentence.

FYI
I support Benfica and always will through their ups and their downs, but unlike you and Porto I don't have to demean other teams to make Benfica look good. Benfica is great on its own, and personally I don't have such a complex sense of inferiority where in order to feel better I have to sh*t on another team. I will leave that to you if that's what makes you feel better :)!

[This message has been edited by RedEagle (edited 16-05-2000).]

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ola benfica may have taken portuguese to an all time low and lets not forget sporting lost 3-0 to part timers and they have a lot of the blame and setubal also lost 7-0, but you seem to forget that benfica took portuguese football to an all time high.
Lets comapare porto and benfica's european record.
BENFICA
2 times winner of european cup
5 times runner up of european cup
1 time runner up of uefa cup

PORTO
1 time winner of european cup

So tell me Ola who has done more for portuguese football and dont tell me porto coz u know you will be wrong.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts