Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ajax.nl
Ajax have decided not to extend the contract of Jari Litmanen. His current contract runs to the end of this season.

Managing director Arie van Eijden: ,,We regret that we have to part ways with Jari, but unfortunately physical problems in the last two years did not allow him to do that what everyone was hoping for. The fact that he was so little available to play was part of the reason not to extend his contract. For the club and certainly also for Jari it is a pity that he has not been able to play more matches. We hope that he can play some matches this season, so he can end his career as an Ajax player in a worthy manner.''
Litmanen has known many successes with Ajax. No less than four times he won the national championship with the club, three times the Amstel Cup and three times the Dutch Super Cup. 1995 was his most successful year, in which he won the national title, the European Super Cup, the Champions League and the Intercontinental Cup with Ajax. Litmanen is Ajax's all time top scorer in European matches with 24 goals.

In the Dutch league Jari has played 179 matches in which he scored 96 goals. He played 16 cup matches and 42 UEFA Champions League matches for Ajax.

In the current seasdon Litmanen has played in six league matches and three UEFA Champions League matches.
No suprise anymore, but a shame that it has to end this way. Reports say that FC Lahti is interested in signing him for next season, but I wonder if it's smart for him to go on.

His second spell at us didn't give us much, but still I won't forget his goals against Roma and Milan. :proud:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jari's technique and creativity haven't gone anywhere. If only he could survive a single week without getting injured. It seems that his body simply can't cope with top level football anymore.

The national team still has use for him for at least a year. Väyrynen and Eremenko Jr are getting better, but neither of them can fill Jari's place right now.

According to rumours some clubs in Spain and Germany are interested as well. He could still make a difference in a smaller team.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said he can better quit and if he really wants to play some more footie he can better go back to Finland to try to finish in style. Where he's already a respected player. Not in Germany or Spain, where they ofcourse know his reputation, but that doesn't give the fans the same feeling as he does here or with you guys.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
I read on VI that he wants to be fully fit for the qualification matches for World Cup 2006. Does that mean his goal is still to try and qualify and play in the 2006 cup?? :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Almost certainly.

It boils down to staying fit. Think about Gheorhge Hagi and Roberto Baggio. Jari will be 35 in 2006 which isn't a hopeless age for a player who has never relied on his strength or speed.

Besides, we have an interesting group. ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think Jari will play as long as Finland have a chance of qualifying. If he succeeds and Finland qualifies, he should be named president without elections.

If he moves to the Finnish League he will raise the attendances with 20-30%, I'm sure (in games he's playing). A fantastic ambassador for Finnish football.

Shame he couldn't avoid injuries at his second Ajax spell. But he scored some goals, the highlight for me atleast, against AS Roma in the Champions League.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I look forward to the last home match of this season: 9th of may against nac breda. A final goodbye to jari. :proud: :proud:

It's a pity he was injured quite a lot, otherwise it would be a very very great player. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
A fantastic comeback by Jari this evening. He came on after 74 minutes against Malta, in the 86th minute he scored a stunning goal to make it 2-0. The goal proved to be the game winning. I'm so happy for him, I thought he had already scored his final Finland goal.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Extrodinary, when he was called up I thought: what's the use, he's injured! Only now he comes on as sub and scores too. :dazed: Still afraid that it will be short moment of joy, but perhaps the prospect of a final game against Feyenoord made his body recover faster than expected.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
english.ajax.nl
Ajax and Jari Litmanen part ways immediately

On request of Jari Litmanen Ajax have decided to terminate his contract immediately. Litmanen will therefore leave the club immediately, instead of the original date 30 June 2004.

Out of respect for the 33-year old forward, Ajax give Litmanen the opportunity to look elsewhere how to fill in his football future. A co-operation between Jari Litmanen and Ajax in another capacity with the club is very well possible.
Ajax and the Finnish player will decide together how Litmanen can bid the supporters farewell in a fitting manner.
:( Why not appear in the Ajax team for one last time and then leave?

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some say that he wasn't exactly happy with the comments made by Koeman last week about Jari playing for Finland, while he was supposed to go just to arrange some things there. Also that he was fit for two month at the end of last year, but that Ronald didn;t use him them. Still those are only rumours spread by fans and media. There hasn't been any comment from Jari himself.

Whatever, it's a shame that it has to end this way. I think a lot of us at least hoped that he could finish his playing carreer at Ajax with a game for the homefans and with the plate above his head, but the first option isn't possible anymore now.:( Only now you can say that he left too early, while if he had finished the season for real the general view was perhaps 'too long'.

Best of luck back in Finland.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like expected Jari signed his first team FC Lahti again today and besides that he also had a nice letter to the fans on Ajax' website. :)
Ajax.nl (for the English translation)
Beste Ajacieden, supportersvrienden,
Dit is niet de meest logische manier om - in eerste instantie - afscheid te nemen van jullie. Eigenlijk is dit ook geen afscheidsbrief maar meer een manier om uit te leggen waarom ik eerder dan bij het eind van het seizoen mijn club Ajax heb verlaten, zonder de kans te benutten om vanaf het veld jullie te kunnen bedanken voor de altijd fantastische steun. Die steun is ook in de moeilijke maanden van blessures nooit aan mij voorbijgegaan.

Om in mijn geboorteland de mogelijkheid te hebben om daar voorlopig door te voetballen en de sluitingsdatum voor inschrijving voor de Finse competitie 15 april is, was snelle actie noodzakelijk. Ik heb die keuze gemaakt omdat ik wist dat mijn toekomst als voetballer na dit seizoen niet meer bij Ajax ligt en ik wel vastbesloten ben nog geen punt achter mijn loopbaan te zetten. Mijn doel is om, eerst in Finland, later misschien ergens anders, door te gaan met voetballen.
In Finland kan ik trainen, hopelijk ook spelen en bovendien, na twaalf jaar afwezigheid, in mijn eigen omgeving ook een beetje tot rust komen. Ik bedank Ajax dat de club mij die gelegenheid heeft gegund.
Ik kan jullie niet genoeg bedanken voor jullie supersteun die mijn jaren bij Ajax onvergetelijk hebben gemaakt. Onze relatie was bijzonder, vind ik zelf. En die relatie zal, ook nu ik niet meer bij mijn cluppie speel, nooit veranderen.
Er komt vast nog een moment waarop ik op een goede manier afscheid van jullie kan nemen. Wanneer dat gebeurt, is mede afhankelijk van wat er binnenkort gebeurt. Denkend aan het afscheid dat ik, samen met Danny Blind, in 1999 meemaakte, krijg ik nog steeds kippenvel. Dat afscheid is nog steeds vers in mijn hoofd en ook daarom wil ik een nieuw afscheid eigenlijk niet. ‘1999’ is namelijk niet te evenaren en dat hoeft ook niet.

Tenslotte wil ik nog een wens uitspreken: ik hoop dat jullie als echte supporters altijd achter jullie club zullen blijven staan, zowel in voor- als in tegenspoed. Net zoals jullie ten opzichte van mij hebben gedaan. Ik weet hoe belangrijk die steun is. Het voelt goed, onvergetelijk.
Vergeet niet: eens Ajacied, altijd Ajacied!

Bedankt en tot ziens!

Jari Litmanen
:proud: :proud: :proud:

·
Registered
478 Posts
:proud: :proud: :proud:

There seems to be no other ajacied like litmanen.

Vergeet niet: eens Ajacied, altijd Ajacied!

Bedankt en tot ziens!

Jari Litmanen
cold shudders :proud: :proud: :proud:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Moving letter! :proud:

I wish all the best to him in Finland. :)

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

He was back in Holland to visit some friends and of course he visited the ArenA too. Legend and real Ajacied. :proud:

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
lol I was looking for this thread yesterday to post this maar er kwam iets tussendoor :)

Anyway, what a legend, hopefully he'll return as a coach. He'd make a great youth coach I think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts