Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to DailySoccer, Hierro has been training for the past 10 days and it set to play in the final.

According to this, Karanka will be back on the sub bench.

Also, there are some articles on a new Anelka interview

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
What are they writing exactly? That Hierro will be fit for the final, or that he is fit NOW, meaning he'll play in tonight's game?
There's a big difference, because I don't know whether it's smart to start a player after such a long absence for the first time in the final. I'm a great fan of Hierro's, but if he's not fit to play tonight (as a test) I'm not sure I'd risk starting him in the final.
And also, why are they writing Karanka will be at the bench? I'd think Campo would be more likely not to start.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the article - Personally, I think that Karanka and Campo have been playing solidly together in the back. Why change what's been working? I'd keep Hierro as a sub.

MADRID, May 18 (Reuters)(DS) - Real Madrid captain Fernando Hierro is likely to start next week's Champions League final
against Valencia, Spanish sports daily Marca reported on Thursday.

Hierro suffered a serious hamstring strain on March 22 and has not played since. He missed the quarter-final against Manchester United and semifinal against Bayern Munich.

Aitor Karanka is expected to be relegated to the bench if Real Madrid coach Vicente Del Bosque picks Hierro in Paris next
Wednesday.

Hierro has been back in full training for the last 10 days and is expected to appear for at least part of Friday's Spanish league match against Valladolid.

The club confirmed that Spain international midfielder Jose Maria 'Guti' Gutierrez would not be ready to play any part in
the final.

Guti damaged his right ankle against Celta Vigo on April 9 and lost his race to regain full fitness.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I think we should stay with Aitor and Ivan. They have really been doing an excellent job. On the other hand this seriously dicreases Hierro's chances of strting at EURO 2000, which angers me. This time I'm really glad I don't have to make the call :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts