17/08/2003 - SPL - Hibernian 1-0 Hearts

All Cup Meetings -
Played 27
Hibernian wins 9
Hearts wins 11
Draws 7
Hibernian Goals 39
Hearts Goals 46

The biggest derby since 1901 takes place at Hampden on Sunday. My nerves are already going and its only Tuesday! This thread is for people to discuss the big game, say who they want to win and predictions. Also, people can update this with any team news that they hear about. At the moment, the team news that I have heard is Hibs have a bit of a striker problem going into the game. Derek Riordan is suspended and Paul Dalgleish is cuptied. Scott Brown and Dean Shiels have both been given to the end of the week before Tony Mowbray makes a decision on them, though the game maybe too soon for both players. Striker Chris Killen is giving Hibs the most worry as he tries to recover from a dead leg, though

As for Hearts, Steven Pressley, Robbie Neilson and Andy Webster should all be fit, which is just as well as this is three of our first choice defenders! But we'll have to do without Julien Brellier and Roman Bednar who are suspended.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hard to look past Hearts the way Hibs have been playing and no Riordan, but the latest scandal won't have helped Hearts at all. Derby days can go either way I suppose. I'll be rooting for the Jambos anyway, they deserve something out of the season as third place doesn't justify their improvement this year. And it WILL be third place... :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laddie said:
Hard to look past Hearts the way Hibs have been playing and no Riordan, but the latest scandal won't have helped Hearts at all. Derby days can go either way I suppose. I'll be rooting for the Jambos anyway, they deserve something out of the season as third place doesn't justify their improvement this year. And it WILL be third place... :)
You've got to catch us first! :tongue:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Hearts are big favourites, but I want Hibs to win. Hibs are more deserving of the cup imo because of their youth policy and the style of football they play in comparison to Hearts. I really hope Hearts end the season with nothing :) Nothing against the Hearts fans, but I just really don't like Romanov's style.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hibernian 1-0 Hearts
Scorer: Nitrous Oxide

Even though Hibs are without a lot of players, I still think this is going to be our year despite our crap form as of late. With Hearts recently adding to their Oscar-nominated story, this makes the match all the more unpredictable.

1/50 on Skacel to dive in the first 5 minutes.

BUT.

I'm not getting complacent because the Cup is not won after the semi-final. Gretna (surely) await the winners in the Final and they could be the dark dark dark horses.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Angle_eyes said:
Hearts are big favourites, but I want Hibs to win. Hibs are more deserving of the cup imo because of their youth policy and the style of football they play in comparison to Hearts. I really hope Hearts end the season with nothing :) Nothing against the Hearts fans, but I just really don't like Romanov's style.
Is that the same style of football that saw them beaten 4-0 and 4-1 on both visits to Tynecastle?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Danny_Vanquish said:
Hibernian 1-0 Hearts
Scorer: Nitrous Oxide

Even though Hibs are without a lot of players, I still think this is going to be our year despite our crap form as of late. With Hearts recently adding to their Oscar-nominated story, this makes the match all the more unpredictable.

1/50 on Skacel to dive in the first 5 minutes.

BUT.

I'm not getting complacent because the Cup is not won after the semi-final. Gretna (surely) await the winners in the Final and they could be the dark dark dark horses.
I have no doubt that Skacel will dive or blow kisses to the Hibs fans! :tongue:

On another note, Ive just hit 100 posts! :D

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hearts will win.

Probable lineup anyone?

Gordon
Pressley
Webster
Fyssas
Neilson
???(to replace Brellier)
Skacel
Miklo....the Lithuanian kid
Hartley
Janjankuas (SP?)
Elliot

HEARTS HEARTS GLORIOUS HEARTS!!!! lol

Im waking up at 7 am to watch this so they better not disapoint!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Most likely line up -

Gordon

Neilson Pressley Webster Fyssas

Cesnauskis Aguiar Hartley Skacel

Jankauskas Elliot

Bench: Banks, Berra, Goncalves, Mikoliunas (Though I want him nowhere near our XI) and Pospisil
Only real contention is for defensive midfielder, with Aguiar, Camazzola and Petras competing for the one space.

·
Registered
972 Posts
That will be 'Long ball to Konte' then 'Long ball to O'Connor' inbetween getting royally humped?

Hibs flair is a complete myth, I've NEVER seen them play 'nice football' against us. They are tedious for the vast majority of their games and most folk who actually go to games will agree.

I just hope that our players remain professional and motivated, and so long as Skacel and Hartley are on form, our class will hopefully shine through.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
How many derby's do you actually see good football played? Especially in British football.

Hibs are doing something right if they've convinced just about the whole of Scottish football that they're playing some of the best football this season along with the dark side.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
How many derby's do you actually see good football played? Especially in British football.

Hibs are doing something right if they've convinced just about the whole of Scottish football that they're playing some of the best football this season along with the dark side.
Boca/River (The daddy of all world derbies)
Independiente/Racing
Real Madrid/Barca
Villarreal/Valencia
Argentina/Uruguay (Mostly on the part of Argentina :D)
Argentina/Brazil
Arsenal/Man U (for Brittish)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Angle_eyes said:

Boca/River (The daddy of all world derbies)
Independiente/Racing
Real Madrid/Barca
Villarreal/Valencia
Argentina/Brazil

·
Registered
972 Posts
I saw good football being played when we scored 4 goals in the 2nd game of the season, the latter match was more down to shoddy Hibs defending. Hearts never got the credit for the football we played earlier in the season, the only time we saw this football under Rix was 4-1 away to Dunfermline (last half hour) and Hibs (20 minutes of the first half)

Hearts are, man for man, better than Hibs going into this semi.

Gordon v Brown/Zibi - Not a contest, best keeper in the land versus the bombscares

Neilson v Wittacker - Robbie is better at defending, Wittacker is better going forward, hard to say
Fyssas v Murphy - Fyssas, though Murphy isn't a bad player
Webster v Smith - Webster is the international class centrehalf
Pressley v Caldwell - Pressley's experience and level head contrasts Caldwell's ability to flog penalties and clatter teammates

Cesnauskis v Sproule - Cesney has come into a bit of form recently, Sproule is the Happy Gilmour of Football, fast as lightening but rarely knows what to do
Skacel v Glass - No contest, Skacel is deadly on his day, and loves getting it up Hibs due to their racist abuse of him (The Refugee song)
Aguiar v Stewart - Close, but Stewart did nowt for us last season and doesn't appear to do anything this
Hartley v Thomson - I quite like Thomson, decent player but Hartley has a knack for the bigger games, especially ones against Hibs

Jankauskas v Killen - No contest, big Edgaras has been superb for us this season and has hit a vein of scoring form. Killen has a decent record but again, should be snuffed out
Elliot v Fletcher - The two striking 'wonderkids' - Close to call, but Elliot has the international recognition that Fletcher lacks.

There we have it! Ivanauskas is an unknown entity to most Hearts fans, he cannot be ANY worse than Rix though. Mowbray is a decent manager but isn't the messiah some make him out to be. If the capable Hearts turn up, we should win comfortably - Then again, thats been a problem for us this season, so who knows! A potentially great match and a nice change from the Glasgow bigots :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hibs have played more attractive football than Hearts this season. I think only Hearts fans will disagree with that. While it has not been as consistent, it has certainly been more entertaining.

Hearts are a better team. League position shows that, but derby games are derby games.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hmm, Webster of International class?

I dont know if you mean "World Class" (like MAldini, Montero, Ayala) but "International Class"= any player who plays in a national team (which = around 210 X 11) .

Webster is still a good player though. Solid back. (Even thought in my FM 2006 he's sub to De Boer :D <And he's so angry about it too ...but cant do anything since Im leadign the league for 7 months now :howler: >

·
Registered
972 Posts
I mean international class, I obviously don't think he's in the top bracket. He has coped with marking Klose, Carew and Vieri for Scotland though.

Gordon is one of the top keepers in Europe, he will play for a top club if he keeps on developing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Laddie said:
Hibs have played more attractive football than Hearts this season. I think only Hearts fans will disagree with that. While it has not been as consistent, it has certainly been more entertaining.

Hearts are a better team. League position shows that, but derby games are derby games.
You may well be right about that. Hearts under Burley played the best football in the League. Since then we have been poor and the Hobos do play good stuff but they are too inconsistant. Hibs can't do what Hearts do and thats win ugly! Hearts have a knack of getting results when they are not playing well.

Also, reading in the Sun today that Monkey-Heid Mowbray says his players are too honest to dive. A poor attempt to try and wind us Jambos up :thmbdown:
This Skacel diving thing is being blown out of preportion. The papers don't seem to go overboard when Petrov dives every week but cos its a Hearts player, all our players are classed as cheats!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Bolso4 said:
Boca/River (The wee cousin of all world derbies)
Independiente/Racing
Real Madrid/Barca
Villarreal/Valencia
Argentina/Brazil
So you've mentioned one British game and it isn't even a derby. Glad to see you're not disagreeing with me :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts