Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thescotsman.co.uk

HIBERNIAN and Hearts will meet each other in a Scottish Cup semi-final for the first time since 1901 after last night's draw brought together the two remaining SPL teams in the competition.

The winners will play a side from the lower leagues, with Gretna of the Second Division drawn to face the winners of the quarter-final replay between Dundee and Hamilton Academical, both of the First Division.

The matches are scheduled for the weekend of 1-2 April. Sky has first option and is likely to televise the all-Edinburgh affair on Sunday, 2 April. BBC Scotland is expected to screen the other match, probably with a Saturday lunchtime kick-off.

Venues have yet to be confirmed but the prospect of playing the Hibs-Hearts tie at Murrayfield is sure to become a hot topic for debate in the weeks ahead.

Hampden is the traditional venue for cup semis but with demand likely to outstrip supply, there is a case for playing at the 67,800-capacity national rugby stadium as Hampden holds 15,000 fewer.

Playing at Murrayfield would also avoid the logistical nightmare of transporting thousands of rival fans from Edinburgh to Glasgow.

Initial soundings from both clubs suggest Hearts are the keener to play at Murrayfield. Hibs, perhaps mindful of the fact Hearts used the rugby stadium for UEFA Cup games last season, envisage the match being at Hampden.

A spokesman for the Easter Road club said: "We expect the game to be played at the national [football] stadium like all recent semi-finals.

"[The prospect of Murrayfield] has not crossed our radar. I think Hearts said recently they'd be quite comfortable to see such a match played at Hampden and we feel the same. We've taken 30,000 to 35,000 through to Hampden for big games previously and we expect to take a big support through again."

Hearts will meet later this week to discuss potential venues. "We've got a meeting this week to talk about the semi and we'll look at every aspect, including ticketing," said a spokesman for the Tynecastle club.

"We're aware that some of the fans would like the game played at Murrayfield but we have to meet internally before we even raise the issue of Murrayfield. There are other aspects to consider. There could be a significant cost to both clubs in going to Murrayfield."

The Scottish Rugby Union is aware of the draw and in keeping with the recent push to make Murrayfield more available to other sports and music events, the union would undoubtedly be open to an approach from the SFA. No spokesperson would comment, however.

Supporters' groups are split over the venue. Frank Dougan, treasurer of the Hibernian Supporters Association, said: "I think the game should be played at Hampden. Players aspire to playing there because it's the national stadium and it's where the fans want to go.

"If it's played at Hampden nobody can say Hearts have any sort of advantage, having played at Murrayfield last season."

John Borthwick, secretary of the Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs, disagrees. "Given the fact it's two Edinburgh teams in the semi I'd advocate that the game be played at Murrayfield," he said.

"I don't see the point in 40,000-plus Hearts and Hibs fans travelling on the M8 through to Glasgow. Hopefully the SFA will apply common sense and play the game at Murrayfield. But the SFA being the SFA, I suspect they probably won't."

Hibs, seeking their first Scottish Cup win since 1902, will be looking for better luck than when they last played Hearts in the semi. In 1901 Hearts won a replay 2-1 after a 1-1 draw and went on to lift the trophy after beating Celtic 4-3 in the final.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You think it would be common sense from SFA to mve the game to Murrayfield. Getting 50,000 fans through to Glasgow for a 12.15 kick off from the same city without any trouble isn't going to happen, especially when a lot of Hearts and Hibs fans will be travelling on the same train! Thats just asking for trouble after the final whistle when one side will be celebrating and the other side will be devestated. I think the talk of Hearts having an unfair advantage cos they've played at Murrayfield is rubbish as well. Theres nothing different to Hampden than there is any other ground and only 3 of the current Hearts team played in the UEFA Cup campaign last season.

Im all for it as I only 10 mins away from the ground! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
No offence, but I do think that there would be problems filling the whole of murrayfield. With the game also being live - the tickets would have to be cheaper as well. I think it would be more suitable playing in a near full hampden, than a 1/2 full Murrayfield

·
Registered
281 Posts
A.Murray said:
No offence, but I do think that there would be problems filling the whole of murrayfield. With the game also being live - the tickets would have to be cheaper as well. I think it would be more suitable playing in a near full hampden, than a 1/2 full Murrayfield
I honestly think that both teams could sell at least 30,000 tickets each. Hibs took over 30,000 to the Cup Final against Livingston in 2004 and Hearts sold near this much for their UEFA game against Schalke. I think with it being in Edinburgh, more fans would go than if it was at Hampden and you'd get at least 60,000 at Murrayfield

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Whats the situation with the ticket allocation anyway? Is it going to be a straight 50/50?

Yippee - 3000 posts ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
maradona10 said:
Whats the situation with the ticket allocation anyway? Is it going to be a straight 50/50?

Yippee - 3000 posts ;)
Well done on 3000 posts :thumbsup:

Ive still got a long way until my 3000th :cry:

I assume its going to be a 50/50 split between the two clubs and thats what I would expect. Think one team would be upset if they got less than the other

25,000 each at Hampden and roughly 33'500 each at Murrayfield

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No matter how quickly each club sells their tickets, they should definately be given 50/50 allocation.

A big problem with playing the game at Hampden is that there is only 3 early trains that will get fans there in time.

Hibs will have no problem selling their allocation after selling 38,000 against Livingston so it's time to find out how many Jambos are out there.

Another problem regardless of where it's played is Sky Sports. There is no way of telling what kind of effect TV broadcast will have due to the fact that this is such a massive game and fans should surely be chomping for tickets.

I personally don't care where it's played but I would prefer it at Murrayfield because of definate riots on trains after the game and I would love the SFA to give in to demand and give a city other than Glasgow the chance to hold a massive. Glasgow haven't had the pleasure of hosting an Edinburgh Derby ever and I'd like the trend to continue.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hearts have more fans than Hibs, we could sell 40,000 tickets for a semi-final with ease.

Hibs, and in particular, Tony Mowbray's attitude in all of this has been utterly disgraceful - They don't care about the safety or convenience of the fans at all.

If the shoe was on the other foot and Murrayfield was the national football stadium, would both sides of the Old Firm be made to travel over to Edinburgh before 12.15 on a Sunday, with a reduced train service, or would they be allowed to play at Hampden?

Hopefully the Police will force the semi to be played at Murrayfield.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Oh yippee a square go on here and it doesnt involve the old firm :D

Go Danny and Heartsfan :thumbsup:

If it was the Old Firm and the National stadium was Murrayfield I dont think all the neautral games we play would have been rescheduled to Hampden, we're big boys through here, we'll go anywhere :

I think its a lil upsetting that so much is being made of the location of this game. Just put the kick off back to 3pm. Its the fans who count here, for both teams, both sets are going to be at a final after this game so delaying fans because of logistical problems due to bad planning by the SFA is the last thing they want.

@Danny. I can honestly say I didnt know that Glasgow has never hosted a Edinburgh derby.

Im honestly not too bothered where it is played. As long as its a sell out and its a cracking game. I just dont want to see the SFA going as far as they can to get their way on this one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nothing better than a good scrap between rivals :)

I believe that Lothian & Borders Police are requesting a meeting with the SFA to demand the the game be played at Murrayfield. Also, the weegie police don't want the game at Hampden. Plus they treat us like animals when we're through in Glasgow :frustrat:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maradona10 said:
@Danny. I can honestly say I didnt know that Glasgow has never hosted a Edinburgh derby.
Aye the last time there was an Edinburgh Derby in a semi was in 1901 I think and at the time the game wasn't played in Glasgow so nope theres never been one. If anyones got better stats than me then let me know.

Heartsfan said:
Hearts have more fans than Hibs, we could sell 40,000 tickets for a semi-final with ease.
Is that right? And how many tickets did you sell for the European games then?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Rudi! said:
Plus they treat us like animals when we're through in Glasgow :frustrat:
You can consol Rangers fans on this, they are more than familar with animalistic treatment ;)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Danny_Vanquish said:
Aye the last time there was an Edinburgh Derby in a semi was in 1901 I think and at the time the game wasn't played in Glasgow so nope theres never been one. If anyones got better stats than me then let me know.

Is that right? And how many tickets did you sell for the European games then?
30,000 v Schalke, 30,000 v Ferencvaros, considering the level of 'neutral' or part-timer interest, we'd sell 40,000 easily.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I dont think its a bad idea to have it at Hampden but its just the logistical side which is a scandal. Two big teams from Edinburgh having two sets of fans through to Glasgow before a 1215 kick off? Glasgow Central will be a nightmare that day when they need to get on the Mount Florida train.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thats the SFA at their best :frustrat:

Think the real reason for not playing at Murrayfield is that the SFA are scared that it will be a major success and show Hampden up for what it really is - A lifeless bowl of a stadium! The atmosphere at the rugby games with the fireworks and all that is great. Should be fun after the game when the fans meet at the train station, one side delighted with making the Final and the other side gutted and angry, Perfect combination for trouble.

Anyway, we'll beat them at any Stadium! :)

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I think the SFA are just sticking by their guns on this one. They are looking at it as the National stadium, its been the occasion for neutral ties for years so we aint changing it for noone :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts