Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Heynckes might be out in the summer. Check out this article!

Coaching Germany would be an honour - Heynckes

BERLIN, May 12 (Reuters) - Jupp Heynckes was quoted as saying on Friday that he would be honoured to coach the German national team.

``For any trainer, it's almost the best you can achieve, especially when you look at the history of the German Football Federation and the name of their coaches,'' the Benfica coach told German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

``It would be an honour for me to become national coach.''

German Football Federation (DFB) vice-president Franz Beckenbauer said this week he expected Germany coach Erich Ribbeck would step down after Euro 2000 and named Henyckes as his favoured candidate to replace him.

Heynckes was offered the top job after Berti Vogts resigned in the wake of Germany's poor showing at the 1998 World Cup finals. He turned it down because his wife was ill and Ribbeck was appointed.

Ribbeck, who has a contract until after the European championship finals, from June 10 to July 2 in Belgium and the Netherlands, has been under pressure to resign after a series of uninspired performances from the reigning European champions.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I just hope that he doesn't leave. I like him as a coach. Very serious, very respectful, and I believe he knows exactly what he is doing. Too bad some people don't like him, because is not always jumping around, cursing at refs.,and yelling. I hope that he stays, for the sake of Benfica.

------------------
BENFICA--Forever

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Personally, I dont like him. But I think every coach should get a couple of seasons to actually build something. Unless its clear that they suck bigtime of course, which I dont think Heynckes has done..

D

·
0 Posts
We all know that Heynckes isn't enjoying Portuguese Football. Any opportunity to get out it he will surely take.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I personally am not his greatest fan but do hope he stays because otherwise benfica will have to have another year of restructurung.
P.S remember heynckes saying the championship was decided between the big 3 if that was true we would be champions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts