Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favourite Aussie Rules footballer right now is Harry O'Brien. He was born in Rio de Janeiro to Brazilian and Congolese parents then moved to Western Australia at the age of three. Became the first player from your country to kick a goal in the AFL. Now he's really developed into something awesome, not only a defender, but he can make these great dashing runs bursting forward, shrugging off his man with power and pace. He's got a thumping boot, too, capable of unloading and scoring goals from 50 metres.

Harry is a very interesting person too. What he speaks of in interviews, it's different from what you hear from the rest; he's so intelligent and quite articulate.

Nicknames: Harry O and The Big O [also an anime!].

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
イラ;7754864 said:
My favourite Aussie Rules footballer right now is Harry O'Brien. He was born in Rio de Janeiro to Brazilian and Congolese parents then moved to Western Australia at the age of three. Became the first player from your country to kick a goal in the AFL. Now he's really developed into something awesome, not only a defender, but he can make these great dashing runs bursting forward, shrugging off his man with power and pace. He's got a thumping boot, too, capable of unloading and scoring goals from 50 metres.

Harry is a very interesting person too. What he speaks of in interviews, it's different from what you hear from the rest; he's so intelligent and quite articulate.

Nicknames: Harry O and The Big O [also an anime!].
The ACL is full of brazilians, both coaches and players, they are very decisive in this competition~so your hero is just one of many.

Anyhow i do not understand why Australian teams participate in ASIAN CL, I suppose the FIFA directors never had a class of geography, among other things they missed

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
ouch, how can they 'kick' that "ball" on the ground and still manage to control it?

Care to explain some rules?

The goal from 50+ meters = more points (like in basketball?)

and how many times does he have to 'kick' the ball while running? (same as basketball?)

Thanks in advance.

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
is there any interesting matches coming up soon because this game looks so weird I feel I have to watch at least one match of it. :D
ahahahah That was I thought...

so ****ing weird that I think I'll like this sport... Or at least try....

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Based on the video posted and some of the questions you posed, henceforth I'll give you some responses.

The first player you see in possession, Tarkyn Lockyer, dishes off a handpass. This is one of the correct methods of disposal, along with a kick. You'll notice that as he runs, he bounces the ball - this is because you'll be penalised and stripped of the ball if you run with the ball non-stop fifteen steps.

The goal from 50+ meters = more points (like in basketball?)

Actually no. If you score a goal, no matter the distance, you receive six points. In the pre-season NAB Cup tournament we tried implementing "super goals" [nine points for goals from outside the fifty arc] but we didn't like it. I'm sure you'll disagree, I guess, which is understandable.

Harry kicks towards four sticks. To score a goal you must kick the ball between the tallest two. If you miss and it goes to either side, you receive a single point.

After a goal has been scored, the game is restarted in the middle where ref [or umpire... lol] bounces the ball into the turf. This is where the two opposing ruckmen meet and collide with each other, jumping, maneuvering, doing their best to tap the ball down to their onballers. The onballers then try and gain a clearance into the fifty. Wait this isn't rules anymore. lol

If a player is in possession but is then tackled he will be deemed to of been "holding the ball." The opposition receives.

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there any interesting matches coming up soon because this game looks so weird I feel I have to watch at least one match of it. :D

Also how can a Brazilian be named Harry O'Brien lol
ahahahah That was I thought...

so ****ing weird that I think I'll like this sport... Or at least try....
http://www.afl.com.au/fixtures/tabid/10586/default.aspx

Next week... April 17, 7:10pm. Collingwood vs. Hawthorn is considered a big game and would attract a large gate too. Plus 7:10pm kickoff would be easier than 2pm, wouldn't it?

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
イラ;7756634 said:
Plus 7:10pm kickoff would be easier than 2pm, wouldn't it?
I checked some major Brazilian cities and if I'm right, when it kicks off, it'll be 6:10am for you. You'll be snoozing, won't you? lol

Tallinn, Tallinn... seven hours behind Melbourne. A midday weekend.

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
イラ;7760978 said:
I checked some major Brazilian cities and if I'm right, when it kicks off, it'll be 6:10am for you. You'll be snoozing, won't you? lol

Tallinn, Tallinn... seven hours behind Melbourne. A midday weekend.
nah, I have to work at that time during weekends hehe So I'll watch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts