Xtratime Community banner

161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I had that posted on FB before and I am too lazy to rewrite so I will take a screenshot instead

Inter's biggest ever win: 16-0 against Vicenza in 1914-1915.

DateFixtureResultGoalscorers
10-01-1915Inter-Vicenza16-07 L.Cevenini III, 5 Agradi, 2 Asti, A.Cevenini I, Aebi

The Cevenini family story is quite intriguing. 5 brothers and they all played for Inter. Must be a club record really.

They were numbered, from one to five, based on who was oldest. Pretty fascinating :)

PlayerPositionDate of birthCountryAppearancesGoals
archive placeholder

Aldo Cevenini I
Midfielder08-11-1889Italy9146
archive placeholder

Mario Cevenini II
Defender27-07-1891Italy391
archive placeholder

Luigi Cevenini III
Striker13-03-1895Italy190158
archive placeholder

Cesare Cevenini IV
Defender18-07-1899Italy123
archive placeholder

Carlo Cevenini V
Striker08-03-1901Italy1615

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Back to this thread with some nostalgia moments before we return to live footie

Highlights from a random Serie A home game against Udinese in 2000-2001

This game had everything really.

Protests and whistles from the crowd, Inter trail from a Ballotta mistake, several chances for Cirillo, Recoba, Di Biagio, JZ and Brocchi. A comeback win decided by super sub and Torino hero Marco Ferrante, a poacher's goal and the only goal Ferrante scored for Inter.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
The game which cost Lippi his Inter job, Reggina away in the first league match of 2000-2001 (obviously the CL elimination by Helsingborgs played a part too in Moratti's decision)

Vampeta involved in our goal

Good assist Sukur and decent finish Chino

Sukur big miss that could have finished this match at 0-2. Could have changed fate..

Cordoba destroyed by Cozza (who I rate, was a good player for Reggina and I believe their fans liked him) in the equalizer.

For the second goal nice finish Marazzina, a player who did well at Chievo afterwards I remember. Cordoba late.. but a decent assist Possanzini. Not Cordoba's best match surely...

Lol at the Vampeta error that almost cost the 3rd had not for Frey. Then the bar saved us.

red's boy Robbie Keane denied a nice goal, decent save Taibi.

Reggina's first ever win against Inter back then, interesting.

Commentary also mentioned that Marazzina is a former Inter player, something I was not aware of. I checked and he played 3 games for us with no goals

PlayerPositionDate of birthCountryAppearancesGoals
archive placeholder

Massimo Marazzina
Striker16-07-1974Italy30

That was back in 1993-1994 and he was 19.

Marazzina's goals against us in 01-02 for Chievo played a part in losing the title.. curse of the ex, another example to add to many cases.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
I will close today's posting with what is probably the best memory of Tardelli's Inter. Beating Capello's Roma that went on to win Lo Scudetto that season.

Comical defending on Sukur but that was a nice header

Gresko to Chino sealed it. Commentary saying that it was Gresko's debut...

Based on highlights we didn't have a lot of chances, while Roma did have chances particularly in the second half but Frey did well on 3 occasions

·
Registered
44,713 Posts
lol, that goal is in a ton of Recoba videos. Gresko celebrating like he scored it himself.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
An assist on his debut against Roma is nice... obviously Gresko's last Inter game against another Roman club didn't go well..

Chino had a knack of doing well against Roma. I remember XT Roma fan Faisal, he used to love Recoba but wasn't happy with Chino shining against his club.

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
Hadn't heard of that Bolchi guy. Interesting career

Btw I looked through those posts about Tardelli and the 0-6 Derby. Weird how comparatively diplomatic everyone was back then. I see I made one post where I was concerned Zanetti and Vieri would want to leave. Of course that only happened in Vieri's case, and 4 years later......

Happy that I never saw that match live. I've said it before, but it is funny to think that I was s fan of a team that I could almost never actually watch live...

UK coverage of Serie A had pretty much stopped dead in its tracks by 2000/01. Not sure why.

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
I will watch this at the weekend:

Inter-Samp on Channel 4 from the 93/94 season. I think the score was 3-0 but I'm not sure. There may be more full 90s Inter games on YouTubeif you search for "Football Italia Channel 4". There are certainly a bunch of full Juve, Milan and Parma matches

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
Oh God there's a bunch of full 90 minute games from 92/93!

Goodbye work productivity! Guess I won't be reading that Dostoevsky novel any time soon

1-1 vs Milan

Oh my God!!

We lost the above game 1-2....

Longer highlights package of a 1-1 against Parma:

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I had no idea that Seedorf scored an og with his hand when he played with us hehe

Tardelli's Inter debut.

Seedorf with 2 assists to Di Biagio and Blanc, Zamorano also scored from a rebound.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
2 assists in the same match from... Gresko. But the idiot could have caused a penalty.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Giuseppe Meazza is not the only Meazza to play for Inter. There's a much less famous Meazza, Luca, who made 1 sub appearance for Inter against Avellino in Serie A 1983-1984. After that debut, he spent his career in lower leagues.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
With the Coppa game at Napoli coming up in a few days time, let's take a look at Inter's first ever Coppa Italia victory back in 1938-1939.

For the record we played Napoli back then..

From Inter's archive:

DateFixtureResultGoalscorers
26-12-1938Napoli-Ambrosiana Inter1-191’ Candiani, 111’ Fabbro
06-01-1939Ambrosiana Inter-Napoli1-054' Candiani
06-04-1939Livorno-Ambrosiana Inter0-1 dts (0-0)116' Frossi
23-04-1939Ambrosiana Inter-Roma1-026' Ferraris II
07-05-1939Genoa-Ambrosiana Inter1-3 dts (1-1)64' Guarnieri, 100' Guarnieri, 120' Frossi
18-05-1939Novara-Ambrosiana Inter1-28' Ferraris II, 26' Frossi

- A replay had to be played between Ambrosiana Inter and Napoli to decide the winner, in English FA cup style. Looks like Candiani had Napoli's number as he scored against them in both games.

- Inter needed extra time to beat Livorno and Genoa, and won with 1 goal difference against Napoli, Roma and Novara. Close matches, no one-sided blow outs.

- Novara had knocked out Milan in the semis that season otherwise it would have been a Milan derby in the final. Genoa knocked out juve from the last 16.

- Strangely, Giuseppe Meazza didn't score a single goal in the tournament despite playing in it..

- Inter's 9 goals in 6 matches were scored by 4 players only: Candiani, Frossi, Guarnieri and Pietro Ferraris.

- Pietro Ferraris is a WC winner with Italy in 1938.

He was part of the Grande Torino team that dominated Italy in the 40s but fortunately for him he moved to Novara in 1948, a year before the Superga tragedy.

- Annibale Frossi famously played with glasses, didn't prevent him from scoring 49 goals for Inter. He had no issue challenging goalies for balls in the air, Frossi

He had a law degree and also worked as a journalist and was the head of Alfa Romeo. Interesting character. Olympic gold winner with Italy in Berlin 1936.

Enrico Candiani played for Inter, juve and Milan.

Umberto Guarnieri, a striker, should not be confused with grande Inter defender defender Aristide Guarneri

Inter's coach was the Austrian Tony Cargnelli, who went on to win the Scudetto in the following season with Inter after his Coppa success.

You can view the lineups and some details about games here

And here are same cool pictures I found online in connection to 38-39. If only there were YouTube videos too..

Attachments

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Interestingly, FIAT and Alfa Romeo from Serie C took part in the Coppa Italia that season. :)

·
Registered
44,713 Posts
Derthona and Fiumana sound cool. Fiumana was actually located in Croatia.

Here's the Derthona logo:

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Luca Mastrangelo had posted a picture of Pancev after scoring for Inter against Fiorentina, so I was curious to check what other games he scored in. In total, Pancev scored 10 goals for Inter - but 5 of them in a couple of Coppa games against Serie B outfit Reggiana in 92-93

Inter won 4-3 away and 4-2 at home, a tie full of goals.

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
Yeah, Pancev had an astonishingly bad record at Inter. Especially when you consider he had won the European Cup and Golden Boot with Red Star.

Good case for him being Inter's biggest flop of all time, although it is hard to top Gabigol.

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
He blames Inter for destroying his career:

He also complained about supposed less-than-friendly attitudes in the nerazzurri dressing room towards certain foreigners, and in this regard singled out Inter's Italian stalwarts Walter Zenga, Giuseppe Bergomi, and Riccardo Ferri as main perpetrators:
Yes, they were my problem! They forced Bagnoli, who was a weak coach, to play Salvatore Schillaci instead of me. Recently, I ran into Zenga, who is now coach of National Bucharest, and said, ‘I hope you're a better coach than Bagnoli was at Inter.’ I said it to remind him of that time. Signing for Inter was my greatest football mistake. In 1992, I was the top striker in Europe. I could have gone anywhere I wanted - Real, Barcelona, Manchester United. My career would have been much richer, in football terms and financially, if I had. And I was only one of the players whose career Inter ruined: think of Wim Jonk, Matthias Sammer, Igor Shalimov. Dennis Bergkamp left after two years, and he needed a year in England to find himself again.[9]

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
Weird that we signed 3 strikers in summer 1992:

Sosa, Schilacci and Pancev.

Out of the 3, only Sosa was a success, the other 2 were a disaster.

Shalimov and Sammer were also disasters, although Sammer by all accounts played well and actually scored a bunch of goals - he jusy couldn't settle at a personal level in Italy and left after half a season (unthinkable for a big name player nowadays).

We finished 2nd that season, although Milan had the league tied up with several games to go.

·
Greta joke sharer
23,435 Posts
Yeah, in retrospect dumping Matthäus to make space for Sammer was a terrible decision.

Reactions: Firdaus
161 - 180 of 185 Posts