Xtratime Community banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #141

Poor Inter defending on the goal of Carnevale (who went on to win trophies at Napoli in the Maradona era)

Nice goal Bergomi. Good hit.

Rummenigge with a decent finish

Zenga saved us, specifically the save on Edinho looks great. I checked and Edinho played in 3 world cups for Brazil so he must have been good.

Altobelli wasted a couple of goals.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Most Calcio fans are familiar with 5th of May 2002 (juve pipping Inter to Lo Scudetto in last match) and 5th of May 2010 (start of our historic treble)

But 5th of May 1963 carries a historical weight too as Inter won the Scudetto at the expense of juve despite Inter losing 3-0 to Roma but juve failing to beat Mantova meant that Inter were 5 points ahead with 2 rounds left (win = 2 points then, so at most juve would have gotten 4 points which would have been insufficient)

Looking at our results that season, we won both games against juve, put 4 past Bologna (twice), put 5 past Napoli away, put 6 past Genoa, 4 past Samp, 4 past Palermo but we did have some negative moments namely losing twice to Atalanta and losing to Catania. There was no Lazio that season, they were in B.

Amazing finish Mazzola after good work from Corso

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
05-05-1963Roma-Inter3-029' Manfredini, 63' Manfredini (Rig), 76' Menichelli

Must have felt weird to celebrate a league title after a 3-0 defeat :D

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Digging up old info is fun. Especially when it comes to Inter. :)

Our main keeper that season was Lorenzo Buffon (20 league appearances) - Lorenzo is the second cousin of the grandfather of Gigi Buffon.

We swapped him with Fiorentina to get Sarti, the GK of la Grande Inter.

Btw in that season (62-63) we kept 18 clean sheets in 34 games, nice.

Buffon played 20 games, Ottavio Bugatti 10 and Giovanni Ferretti 4 games. So all 3 goalies played.

Inter had the strongest defence in the league but looking at the main lineup we had Suarez, Corso, Mazzola, Jair and Hitchens/Di Giacomo as cf (we made a swap with Torino, Hitchens started the season with us then we got Di Giacomo.) Not forgetting Facchetti at LB so that side had plenty of flair.

Also we had a player from Argentina who I had never heard about til now named Humberto Maschio. He was a former Racing player (like Milito and Lautaro), wasn't prolific for us but he scored a match winner against Napoli in 62-63, also scored in a derby.

Curiously he had a Burdisso-Navarro at Mestalla story. Copied from wiki:

After obtaining Italian citizenship, as a native , he made his debut in the Italian national teamon May 5, 1962, in a friendly played in Florence against France ; participated in the 1962 World Cup , in Chile , where he was lined up against the home team in the race remembered as the " Battle of Santiago ", and during which the Chilean left wing Leonel Sánchez broke his nose, with a punch in the game .

For the record when I was checking the Inter archivio, turns out Maschio scored against us for 3 Italian clubs: Bologna, Atalanta and Fiorentina.

Here's Facchetti's winner against Fiorentina (1-0) from a decent shot

Napoli demolished at their stadium but lol at the first goal in particular..

Last but not least, the biggest scoreline of the season (6-0 v Genoa)

The 6th goal by Suarez is pure genius, joy, sex.. just amazing. No wonder he was a Ballon d'Or winner and signed for a lot of money by Angelo Moratti.

Also the 5th, Jair destroyed the defender before Mazzola scored

Curiously, none of the defenders - Facchetti aside - scored any goals that season. They didn't need to with all the attacking players at the time. Mazzola got 10 league goals, as did Jair so 3 players hit double digits.

Going back to Di Giacomo, he scored 11 league goals despite not arriving at the start of the season, and was our top scorer in Serie A that season so certainly played his part in lo Scudetto 62-63. Looks like the poacher type based on the goals I saw of him. Unfortunately it was Di Giacomo who cost us the 67 title after a mistake from Sarti in Mantova. Sarti then went on to juve and there was controversy (but I think it was an honest mistake, he couldn't surely tarnish what he achieved at Inter with a deliberate error to gift juve the title..)

Couldn't find the famous Sarti mistake at Mantova but that season (66-67) we lost the Scudetto to juve in the last match and the Champions cup final to Celtic so it was a heartbreaking season.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Sorry for posting an awful memory but I couldn't resist going over this, especially as I never watched that ill-fated match (didn't have Serie A TV coverage in 01-02), I do remember I asked an Interista high school colleague of mine to visit him and watch together but he didn't want to... Anyhow, this thread is not just for Inter wins but losses/draws too

The full 90 minutes are on YouTube if you want.

Now this game was basically blamed on Gresko mainly. Sure it was a dumb mistake that changed the game from 1-2 to us to 2-2 in the 45th minute. Who knows what would have happened had Inter led at HT.. but we had a whole half to win it.. not trying to defend that dumbfuck gresko as his mistake was awful, but we conceded 4.. and could have conceded 5-6 based on highlights. Not all on Vratislav.

Poor marking on first Lazio goal from whole defence, second on Gresko with the wrong back header obviously, 3rd on Firdy's bf CZ (who I always thought was limited), I mean CZ didn't even bother jumping with Simeone. Weak. The 4th good skill by Cesar (flopped at Inter but was a decent skillful winger at Lazio) who beat JZ :( then crossed to S. Inzaghi (again poor marking)

Anyhow if Di Santis wasn't a corrupt pig (Inter denied a penalty on Ronaldo in Verona against Chievo) things could have been different.

nel bene e nel male Forza Inter. :)

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
One last vid before I go to bed :D

Same season, 01-02.

Fucking post on that Kallon chance aghhhh. And Vieri could have scored a super hattrick especially that chance he blew over all alone, and the late chance which trickled past the post. Agonizing.

But it's Lazio, we failed to beat them for a decade in Serie A between 95-96 (the Benito Carbone/Nesta og) and 2005-2006 (Chino and Figo, Firdy's boy Recoba scored a rare header back then I recall)

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I vaguely remember juve's home win in 01-02 against Chievo being highly controversial, but I must sleep now :D may be Toni can shed some light on it.

·
Registered
45,847 Posts
I vaguely remember juve's home win in 01-02 against Chievo being highly controversial, but I must sleep now :D may be Toni can shed some light on it.
lol, there were so many games of THAT Juventus which were "highly controversial"! Most of supporters of Juventus say: it was such a strong team, it didn't need help! Wrong, it needed help on those days in which being the better team on paper wasn't enough.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Good posts Ahmed (y)

Very interesting stuff.

Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Cheers

Posting the below after I found out we had a player named Adriano Piraccini in the 80s for a couple of seasons in 86-87 and 87-88.

He scored in the below game at Catania

I didn't know that Daniel Passarella can take a fk like that..

A Catania player pulled off a Kerlon. Looked him up after the commentator mentioned his name: Mandressi

Won 1 Scudetto at Milan but without playing in 78-79.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Curiously, the Inter of HH never won Coppa Italia. Closest they came was losing the final in 65 to juve due to a horrible mistake by...Sarti. Footage of the comical error:

Inter fielded a strong lineup

Had Inter won that Coppa of 65 we would have secured a Treble similar to that of 2010 though Inter did win Intercontinental cup v Indipendiente so it was a Treble of Serie A, CC and Intercontinental cup, but without coppa italia.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Toni might be familiar with this

Before Inter were founded in 1908, there was an Internazionale in... Turin! :D and they wore bianconeri colours. Yuck.

Reason Toni might be aware of them is that Internazionale Torino lost 2 titles to Genoa in 1898 and 1899, the first 2 titles won by Genoa.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #155

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
We all know Jair, Ronaldo, Julio Cesar, Lucio, Maicon and what they achieved, but it's worth noting that Inter's first ever scorer in an official match was a Brazilian: Achille Gama. A name that all Interisti should be aware of but I shamefully admit my ignorance about Gama till I read more about the club.

Milano
10 gennaio 1909
1ª giornata
Milan Milan3 – 2
referto
Inter InterArena Civica
Arbitro: Goodley
Trerè Gol
Lana Gol 74’
Laich Gol 86’
MarcatoriGol 69’ Gama
Gol 88’ Schuler

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
The second Inter scorer was also a foreigner, the Swiss Bernard Schuler

Obviously a big Swiss influence on the early history of Inter.

21 Swiss players played officially for the club: the majority in the very early years of the club.

Your search:

Total players found: 21
PlayerPositionDate of birthCountryAppearancesGoals
archive placeholder

Oscar Engler
Defender29-01-1889Switzerland10218
archive placeholder

Furter
MidfielderSwitzerland20
archive placeholder

Carlo Alfred Hopf
Midfielder28-01-1887Switzerland20
archive placeholder

Werner Kummer
Midfielder20-06-1886Switzerland20
archive placeholder

Hernst Xavier Marktl
Defender23-06-1887Switzerland20
archive placeholder

Felice Martinelli
Striker23-05-1904Switzerland70
archive placeholder

Henry Muller
GoalkeeperSwitzerland80
archive placeholder

Neudecker
Midfielder30-11--0001Switzerland52
archive placeholder

Niedermann
DefenderSwitzerland10
archive placeholder

Ernest Peterly I
Midfielder01-01-1892Switzerland5530
archive placeholder

Alfred Peterly II
DefenderSwitzerland70
archive placeholder

Ugo Rietmann
Midfielder26-08-1886Switzerland10
archive placeholder

Schuler
Striker30-11--0001Switzerland238
archive placeholder

Ciriaco Sforza
Midfielder02-03-1970Switzerland404
Xherdan ShaqiriStriker10-10-1991Switzerland19
archive placeholder

Carlo Streit
Defender19-07-1888Switzerland230
archive placeholder

Roger Vonlanthen
Striker05-12-1930Switzerland4612
archive placeholder

Max Winter
Midfielder01-01-1888Switzerland120
archive placeholder

Arnaldo Woelkel
Midfielder06-07-1892Switzerland20
archive placeholder

Yenni
Defender30-11--0001Switzerland20
archive placeholder

Alfredo Zoller
Defender01-01-1888Switzerland280

P.S. I deleted the pic of Shaqiri because I am only allowed to post 20 images and we all know what he looks like anyway :D

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Sorry for posting this here, but the game was on May 11th and this thread is for highs, lows and Inter info so..

Admittedly, despite this match being 2 decades ago, it didn't make for an easy viewing now...

I remember it was on a Friday which is rather unusual for Serie A, and back then I was out watching a game for my local team at the time (Al Ahly) in the African CL and had no idea Inter were playing. My local team won 5-0. I returned home, switched on TV and bang. Saw the score and was in shock.

I guess I know why Nacka hates 3 man defence now!

And I can understand why that was the last season at Inter for Frey, Blanc and Ferrari.

I didn't see much of Ferrari at Inter but at Parma he was pretty good. But in that derby he was shocking. First couple of goals (gave ball away in first and Commandini beat him in the air for the second), and the 4th when he failed to stop Serginho before he crossed to Shevchenko.

Frey was great at Parma (with Ferrari, incidentally) and Viola, but that Giunti fk and the 5th were on him. No wonder we went for an experienced Toldo in the summer.

Another obdervation: where was the fight? The reaction? No hard tackles or red cards.. shame Cordoba didn't play (was he injured or suspended?), and obviously Materazzi arrived in the following summer..

In fact we only got 1 booking all game (Simic)

Subbing seedorf for di biagio at the start of the second half meant we played with no dm, as farinos, dalmat and seedorf are cms...

I checked our bench:

Ballotta
Macellari
Pacheco
Seedorf
Ferrante
Cauet
Sukur

That Pacheco dude (who?) is a striker as per Inter.it, and iirc Macellari was a lb. So not a single CB on the bench. And obviously we had the donkey Retardelli as a coach..

Btw I think there was possibly a penalty for Vieri against Maldini when it was still 1-0.. who knows that could have changed the game or at least made the defeat less shameful. lol even Gattuso showboated. Reminded me with Candreva against Chievo in 17-18.

Anyhow, like the coreo of the Inter Ultras before the game:

FC Inter Eterno Amore. 🖤💙

Thankfully our current derby record reads a solid 4 wins in a row.

P.S. that derby was before my time on XT but I am intrigued to read the match thread.. probably TAZZ had some choice words to describe that 'performance'

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Couldn't find a match thread but there were a bunch of threads connected to the game and Tardelli if anyone fancies a read.

I promise my next post or two (tomorrow or within the next couple of days) will carry more positive memories Haha.

Forza Inter 🖤💙

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Been a while since this thread was posted in..

Something interesting I read today. The first ever Panini sticker was that of former Inter player Bruno Bolchi.

That was back in 1961

Apparently Bolchi was the one who discovered Miccoli at Ternana. Cool.

He coached a ridiculous number of teams!

His Inter numbers

His goals at Inter in detail

DateFixtureResultGoalscorers
15-11-1959Inter-SPAL2-164' Bolchi, 84' Massei, 90' Bolchi
16-10-1960Inter-Vicenza5-015' Zaglio, 48' Bolchi, 70' Angelillo, 80' Angelillo, 83' Bolchi
26-02-1961Vicenza-Inter1-311' Bolchi, 32' Bolchi, 80' Corso, 85' Gatti (Aut)
21-05-1961Roma-Inter0-212' Bolchi, 56' Morbello
30-05-1961Inter-Napoli3-044' Facchetti, 69' Corso, 88' Bolchi
04-10-1961Inter-SPAL2-141' Gori, 68' Bolchi, 88' Bolchi

So when Bolchi scored, Inter always won.

Nice goal at Roma, good shot

141 - 160 of 161 Posts