Xtratime Community banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I read a bit about 94-95 and Padova won a relegation playoff v Genoa. Obviously we played Padova the following season and put 8 past them in Milano and lost at Padova as mentioned previously in this thread.

Fabio Galante missed a penalty which basically relegated Genoa.

10 June 1995
Stadio Artemio Franchi, Firenze
Referee: Piero Ceccarini

Genoa relegated to 1995-96 Serie B.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Speaking of Lalas, he scored in a 94-95 Coppa game against us in Milano (0-1) but it didn't mean much as Inter had won 3-0 at Padova in the first leg

The Lalas goal is in those highlights:

Clear foul on Pagliuca! Robbed! Possibly denied a penalty too.

7-8 Inter chances in that Coppa game.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Fascinating game this one (and before my time as a fan):

Sosa and Berti at the height of their powers.

This was as good as it got for Shalimov and Sammer at Inter, unfortunately.

Sammer was a bizarre case. I remember reading that his signing was almost as big as Bergkamp's in 1993 as the guy scored freely as a defensive mid and had just won the league with Stuttgart in the first reunified Bundesliga season. He was basically seen as an amazing replacement for Mattheus.

At Inter he scored 4 goals in 11 games and by most accounts played very well, but could not hack the Italian lifestyle and left that January, something that would be impossible to do now and would be seen as totally unprofessional.

Bergkamp at least lasted 2 years despite absolutely hating Italy.

I hope Eriksen doesn't become a similar case :oops:

Sammer of course became one of the best defensive players in the world and won the CL with Dortmund and Euros with Germany. An amazing player on his day. Shame he didn't take to the Italian lifestyle like Brehme and Mattheus did
Good goals but Peruzzi looked dodgy particularly on the Sammer and Shalimov goals. Nice skill by Shalimov though. Really destroyed the juve defender there.

Sosa's goal class. The one-two, the finish. Think Schillaci assisted the first 2.

We won in Turin too that season, with Sosa and Shalimov again killing off juve with nice goals.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I wonder who had the best left foot, btw?

Sosa or Recoba or Adriano or Mihajlovic or Corso or Facchetti or Boninsegna... Hard to say.

·
Registered
44,294 Posts
Recoba for sure...and by a long stretch. It's because of the sheer range of situations where he can show the magic and precision. Then, IMHO, comes Miha, followed by Corso.

It's one thing to be left-footed, but a very different thing to have the magic left foot. Chino, Miha and Corso have the gift.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Good goals but Peruzzi looked dodgy particularly on the Sammer and Shalimov goals. Nice skill by Shalimov though. Really destroyed the juve defender there.

Sosa's goal class. The one-two, the finish. Think Schillaci assisted the first 2.

We won in Turin too that season, with Sosa and Shalimov again killing off juve with nice goals.

Sosa got 20 Serie A goals that season.

What a player.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
First time I watch JZ's goal against Napoli in Coppa Italia 96-97. Great goal especially with his left foot! How rare is that!

We lost on a penalty shootout in the semis.

First leg

Second leg

So Hodgson was eliminated from Coppa by penalties and lost the UEFA cup final in the same season also on penalties. Damn.

Vicenza went on to win the Coppa that season under Guidolin, and they had both Sartor and Wome in their squad that season

curiously, Gigi Simoni, Mauro Milanese and Francesco Colonnese were at Napoli together and then they all arrived at Inter, obviously. So they must have been recommended by Simoni then. Napoli were 13th that season (96-97) and Simoni was fired, didn't finish the season even.

Caio one of their penalty takers, the guy is a famous Inter flop. Checked his wiki page, 0 Serie A goals for us and Napoli

He had a good season at Sao Paulo in 94-95 (must be why we signed him) and played in Gold cup 1996 for Brazil, scored against Canada and Honduras so hardly powerhouses

His teammates at Sao Paulo in 94-95 included names like Rogerio Ceni, Junior Baiano, Edmilson, Denilson, Juninho (the Middlesbrough one, not Lyon's)

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Also worth noting that the 2 scorers against Inter for Napoli in the 2 Coppa legs that season were Brazilian. Andre Cruz (great fk tbh) in Milano and Beto at Napoli.

·
Registered
44,294 Posts
curiously, Gigi Simoni, Mauro Milanese and Francesco Colonnese were at Napoli together and then they all arrived at Inter, obviously. So they must have been recommended by Simoni then. Napoli were 13th that season (96-97) and Simoni was fired, didn't finish the season even.
I love Simoni but whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did he bring those 2, lol.

·
Registered
44,294 Posts
Milanese was already a journeyman by the time he arrived at Inter...and not exactly having made an impact with the clubs. I think he was only meant to be used as a small-time sub. So you can imagine my reaction when he was being played against Man Utd in the CL...and my reaction when he began crossing the ball into the sky.

Colonnese was judged to be a bust by Mazzone at Roma so he barely played there. Should have been our first clue. My guess is that Simoni liked his quickness and industry...but you could even see from 97/98 that he just wasn't cut out to be a mainstay defender at a big Serie A club.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Simoni himself was a bizarre hire TBH

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I remember watching Inter-Real Madrid (98-99 in CL, Baggio game) and Colonnese I believe was marking Raul. Did well.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
I remember watching Inter-Real Madrid (98-99 in CL, Baggio game) and Colonnese I believe was marking Raul. Did well.
He was probably the best of a very bad bunch of Italian defenders to arrive at Inter from around 1993-2000, so up until Cannavaro and Panucci, basically.

Milanese, Galante, Sartor, Centofanti (LOL), the Paganin Bros, Fresi, Mezzano, Pistone, Tarantino, Seno, Festa (LULZ), Mirko Conte

A Who's Who of sh*t defenders.

Which is to say nothing foreign flops like Taribo ("Terrible") West, Domoraud

The current defensive selection is seriously G.O.A.T.-level compared to those donkeys.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
red brought up the UEFA cup elimination by Aston Villa in 94-95

First leg

Sosa wins the pen, well taken Bergkamp. Pagliuca saved us a couple of times.

Second leg

Aston Villa were looking for revenge for 90-91 and got it unfortunately

Inter really should have taken the lead in Birmingham though, fecking goal frame and Pancev.. had that went in I doubt Villa would have scored 3. Big turning point in the tie that double Inter chance.

Shit goal conceded after a Bergomi 'assist'

How did it feel to see an Irish player score against us, red?

Fontolan sent his penalty to London and Sosa hit the ball with too much power

Anyhow, I checked what Aston Villa did in the following round and they were eliminated by Trabzonspor... A random Turkish player scored in both legs including a 92nd minute goal at Villa park

Turkish commentator almost in tears. Football is amazing.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Curiously in the 90s we pretty much either won the UEFA cup/reached the final or crashed early in the first round! Pazza Inter.

90-91: won it

91-92: eliminated in the first round by Boavista (back then they were coached by Manuel Jose who is a coaching legend in Egypt for what he achieved with Al-Ahly afterwards in the 2000s)

93-94: won it

94-95: eliminated in the first round by Aston Villa

95-96: eliminated in the first round by Lugano

96-97 runners up

97-98: won it.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Curiously in the 90s we pretty much either won the UEFA cup/reached the final or crashed early in the first round! Pazza Inter.

90-91: won it

91-92: eliminated in the first round by Boavista (back then they were coached by Manuel Jose who is a coaching legend in Egypt for what he achieved with Al-Ahly afterwards in the 2000s)

93-94: won it

94-95: eliminated in the first round by Aston Villa

95-96: eliminated in the first round by Lugano

96-97 runners up

97-98: won it.
Haha good spot

Yes, 4 finals and 3 tournament wins in 7 years is pretty hardcore. But you're right. Either dominance or going out immediately with a whimper.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Aston Villa were looking for revenge for 90-91 and got it unfortunately

Inter really should have taken the lead in Birmingham though, fecking goal frame and Pancev.. had that went in I doubt Villa would have scored 3. Big turning point in the tie that double Inter chance.

Shit goal conceded after a Bergomi 'assist'

How did it feel to see an Irish player score against us, red?
Horrible game. I really hated all that 90s EPL pass-and-dash football. Awful.

Villa were pretty crap TBH.

Houghton (who scored against Inter) was a national hero in Ireland due to the fact that he scored our winner against Italy at USA '94 (also against Pagliuca). I have also met the guy in person. I was pretty horrified that he scored against us TBH, but what else could he do.... Bergomi (of all people) put the ball on a plate for him.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #140

Perfect hattrick for Altobelli against Como. Header, left foot, right foot.

Earlier in this thread I recall posting a vid of another perfect hattrick for Altobelli (against LASK Linz in UEFA cup)

121 - 140 of 161 Posts