Xtratime Community banner

101 - 120 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #101

A game in which Inter could/should have hit double digits, really.

Brehme with 3 assists, amazing. I don't think I saw an Inter fullback making 3 assists in 1 game before tbh.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Getting his buddy from Juve to replace Pagliuca wasn't an upgrade though. That chubby **** is probably our worst keeper in the last 40 years.
I remember reading that Lippi got rid of Pagliuca due to Gianluca's heavy protesting in 97-98 in the infamous Ronaldo-Iuliano game. Not sure if I read that on XT or somewhere else.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #103

Matthaus celebrates Ballon d'Or with a nice goal in a win against juve.

Berti involved in both goals.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I just checked and only Vialli (Scudetto winner with Samp) scored more than Matthaus that season in Serie A. Pretty impressive for a midfielder.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Watched highlights of the 99-00 Coppa Italia finals, which were famously overshadowed by the Ronaldo injury at Olimpico, of course

First leg

Too bad we led away and then lost. Good skill Mutu before assisting Seedorf, showed at a young age he was talented..

JZ was beaten to the Lazio winning goal in the air by Cholo.. :(

We could have scored a second goal, fecking Ballotta made a decent save on Zamorano. Good pass Gigi Di Biagio. 2-2 would have been an excellent result in Rome to take back home..

Mancini missed a huge chance in the end to kill off the tie at 3-1.

Second leg

To only need 1 goal at home and fail to get it is rather annoying, even if that was 20 years ago and we won 4 Coppe Italia since..

Baggio, Zamorano, Seedorf, Vieri and Recoba. Lippi didn't have bad attacking choices surely..

That Recoba chance in the post in the 90th minute agh.. and the earlier chance from Recoba saved by Ballotta..

Lazio hit the post first though tbf (Veron fk) and had other chances too.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Looked at our results from that season in Coppa.

We knocked out Bologna in the first round, winning both legs

Amazing goal Georgatos and then JZ scored quite an easy goal :D Ventola scored for Bologna but couldn't find his goal

Bologna also scored in second leg but could only find our 3 goals

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Lolf we can't argue or debate recent games so instead we're doing this for a game from 1997. :D funny if you think of it.
Haha, yes true.

We always find a way :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Continuing with Coppa Italia 99-2000

After Bologna, a Milan derby in the quarterfinals

First leg

Great goals Vieri and Seedorf

Young Mutu with a headed goal

Chino motm based on 2 assists and winning the fk leading to Seedorf's peach

Vieri should have had 3-4

That Inter defence sucked in that derby. Shevchenko unmarked...

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Could not find extended highlights for the second leg (finished 1-1)

Baggio's goal, quite scrappy.. assist by Seedorf

Considering what Seedorf went on to achieve at Milan afterwards, surely him, Pirlo and Roberto Carlos are the biggest Inter regrets ever. Up there with rejecting Franco Baresi and Giuseppe Signori. I believe we also had the chance to get Kaka before he went to Milan but didn't..

·
Registered
44,295 Posts
Baresi was a huge miss but I think he was rejected before he really showed what a talent he was.

Seedorf was already a huge name and couldn't be condemned based on the sort of dysfunction around him.

Pirlo was bought exactly because he was recognised by everyone as a massive talent. He was touted as the next Baggio. We never really gave him a chance. We didn't make the most basic efforts to incorporate him into the side. So he was loaned out constantly. By the time his loan to Reggina was up (where he was a hero of the season...along with Baronio) and the goal for us in the friendly against Real, we should have seen more than enough. The sale was ridiculous and if anyone suggests there was a kickback for it, you couldn't blame them...it was that stupid. Let's not even talk about the fact we didn't need to offload anyone or the fact we exchanged him for basically nothing.

No need for hindsight for Pirlo or Baresi. Btw, I might have been the biggest Pirlo fanboy before he blew up at Milan. I'm still really sore about it, lol.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Could not find extended highlights for the second leg (finished 1-1)

Baggio's goal, quite scrappy.. assist by Seedorf

Considering what Seedorf went on to achieve at Milan afterwards, surely him, Pirlo and Roberto Carlos are the biggest Inter regrets ever. Up there with rejecting Franco Baresi and Giuseppe Signori. I believe we also had the chance to get Kaka before he went to Milan but didn't..
It was just bad management and bad scouting.

The club was an absolute circus when Moratti was calling the shots on transfers.

I suppose Cuper's arrival was the start of a professional technical direction at the club, instead of Moratti just signing whoever he felt like, as if it was a game of Championship Manager.

·
Registered
31,513 Posts

Matthaus celebrates Ballon d'Or with a nice goal in a win against juve.

Berti involved in both goals.

No pan and scan here, thankfully. It annoys me to no end when youtubers crop or stretch the old 4:3 aspect ratio TV footage to make it fit the youtube standard 16:9. The resolution could be better, but I can easily live with that when in turn you get the old style RAI reporting, cutting, the dry commentary, etc.

Lol at the reporter saying the ticket sales will have amounted to 3bn lire, like they do in Italian sportspapers too, I've never seen in it other countries.

·
Registered
31,513 Posts
Baresi was a huge miss but I think he was rejected before he really showed what a talent he was.

Seedorf was already a huge name and couldn't be condemned based on the sort of dysfunction around him.

Pirlo was bought exactly because he was recognised by everyone as a massive talent. He was touted as the next Baggio. We never really gave him a chance. We didn't make the most basic efforts to incorporate him into the side. So he was loaned out constantly. By the time his loan to Reggina was up (where he was a hero of the season...along with Baronio) and the goal for us in the friendly against Real, we should have seen more than enough. The sale was ridiculous and if anyone suggests there was a kickback for it, you couldn't blame them...it was that stupid. Let's not even talk about the fact we didn't need to offload anyone or the fact we exchanged him for basically nothing.

No need for hindsight for Pirlo or Baresi. Btw, I might have been the biggest Pirlo fanboy before he blew up at Milan. I'm still really sore about it, lol.

It's obviously true that a genius like Pirlo should've been recognised, but I do sometimes think that deploying him deep was one of the brilliant strokes in the history of football tactics, one of those pioneer moves that seem obvious and inevitable only in hindsight. Mazzone was supposedly the first to do it, although I guess Ancelotti perhaps should be creditted for helping Pirlo really excel in the position. I actually don't remember how it transpired, only that I definitely considered him a #10 for Inter and the Azzurrini...

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
To finish off the 99-2000 Coppa

Semis v Cagliari

Inter won at Cagliari 1-3 in first leg to put a foot in the final.

Good goal by Mutu. Decent shot.

Excellent work by Georgatos on the second goal.

Great goal Vieri. Getting past the defender with his weaker right foot before a good finish with his left.

Some weak defending there by Inter though. Could have conceded 2-3 more.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Inter lost 1-2 at home. Zamorano scored for us but I couldn't find his goal :(

Great goal by Bernardo Corradi. I didn't know he played for Cagliari tbh, I am familiar with his Chievo and Lazio stints mainly.

·
Registered
44,295 Posts
It's obviously true that a genius like Pirlo should've been recognised, but I do sometimes think that deploying him deep was one of the brilliant strokes in the history of football tactics, one of those pioneer moves that seem obvious and inevitable only in hindsight. Mazzone was supposedly the first to do it, although I guess Ancelotti perhaps should be creditted for helping Pirlo really excel in the position. I actually don't remember how it transpired, only that I definitely considered him a #10 for Inter and the Azzurrini...
Mazzone definitely deserves credit for it. He looked like he was an "in the hole" player before that and we discussed him as such. But I don't think the leap was as big as some may think. In terms of how he would actually function and contribute at Reggina and Brescia, his utility as an outlet in front of defence was already on show...necessitated by the overall calibre of those sides. Pirlo's frame (huge topic, and most likely what made Inter dismiss him as they did to Franco Baresi before) also made it such that it made more sense to play him behind a shield of sorts...in this case, the midfielders. So I think his game and physical attributes made the decision for Mazzone more than anything else.

The only thing that made it a question was the fact that players who operated there around that time (e.g. Paolo Sousa under Lippi at Inter, when fit) had more defensive attributes. But Pirlo's vision and passing should put that debate away quite easily.

But yes, full credit to Mazzone - he clearly understood the player (Inter never did, in any capacity), enacted the change and saw it crystallise. That isn't to say that Pirlo wouldn't be great but for that change. As long as he had playing time (again, wouldn't happen at Inter) he'd still have been an NT mainstay and a easy Serie A draft choice.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
A lucky win this one from Hodgson's first half season. This was a very, very good Lazio side that used to annihilate teams in the Olimpico (although they were poor away from home).

Signori's heyday.

Couple of wonder-saves from Pagliuca:

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
LOL this was what UEFA cup qualification (and finishing 7th) meant to fans in 1995.

A shockingly awful season (UEFA Cup exit to Aston Villa on pens, which I remember watching live :sick:)

Orlandini with a lucky goal. This was Ruben Sosa's last game for Inter :( I remember being really sad and shocked when he was sold that summer

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Fascinating game this one (and before my time as a fan):

Sosa and Berti at the height of their powers.

This was as good as it got for Shalimov and Sammer at Inter, unfortunately.

Sammer was a bizarre case. I remember reading that his signing was almost as big as Bergkamp's in 1993 as the guy scored freely as a defensive mid and had just won the league with Stuttgart in the first reunified Bundesliga season. He was basically seen as an amazing replacement for Mattheus.

At Inter he scored 4 goals in 11 games and by most accounts played very well, but could not hack the Italian lifestyle and left that January, something that would be impossible to do now and would be seen as totally unprofessional.

Bergkamp at least lasted 2 years despite absolutely hating Italy.

I hope Eriksen doesn't become a similar case :oops:

Sammer of course became one of the best defensive players in the world and won the CL with Dortmund and Euros with Germany. An amazing player on his day. Shame he didn't take to the Italian lifestyle like Brehme and Mattheus did

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
LOL this was what UEFA cup qualification (and finishing 7th) meant to fans in 1995.

A shockingly awful season (UEFA Cup exit to Aston Villa on pens, which I remember watching live :sick:)

Orlandini with a lucky goal. This was Ruben Sosa's last game for Inter :( I remember being really sad and shocked when he was sold that summer

Well the fans had good previous memories from winning UEFA cup in 91 and 94, so to qualify to it in the last minute of the last match day after coming back from behind..

Lalas cracked me up in his post match interview. Fucking bullshit
:D

Yeah lucky goal Orlandini, keeper mistake. Ball went through/under him.

Pagliuca saved our assess in that game. As did the post when the score was still 1-1.. Their keeper was worked though, 2-3 times.

101 - 120 of 161 Posts