Xtratime Community banner

181 - 185 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
44,713 Posts
Yeah, Pancev had an astonishingly bad record at Inter. Especially when you consider he had won the European Cup and Golden Boot with Red Star.

Good case for him being Inter's biggest flop of all time, although it is hard to top Gabigol.
I was just thinking about the Batigol move (not a flop, since he was showing a huge decline). Nowadays, 32-33 doesn't seem so bad (Forlan was expected to do much better, fx) but back then it was a risk. Still, we were strongly rumoured to be going in hard for a 35 year-old Romario in 2001, iirc. Combine these moves with gifting Pirlo and Seedorf to Milan. Our transfer team had to be hitting the crystal meth hard back then.

Good call on Pancev. I didn't know enough about Gabigol to call him a flop.

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
They contributed nothing, but Batistuta was a 4-month loan and Forlan was free.....Expectations were low, I think it's fair to say. I remember thinking Forlan was a terrible signing at the time.

I personally expected nothing from Batistuta, given the extent of his injury problems.

Pancev cost a fortune for the time (7 million pounds), as did Gabigol.

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
I didn't know enough about Gabigol to call him a flop.
Fird, I think you know plenty about Gabigol.

He cost 40 million euros, was sold for 18 million, and scored one goal.

So that one goal cost 22 million euros.

Worst signing in the club's history, followed by Joao Mario and Pancev.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Gabigol was mostly used off the bench and as a RW iirc, I believe he started 1 match. Bit unlucky also because we were a coaching mess in 16-17. Mancini in pre-season, then De Boer, then Vecchi, then Pioli, then finished the season with Vecchi again.. not easy for a new player from South America to adapt.

I remember I gave Batistuta the nickname 'Batislow' back in 02-03 here on XT. Dude was indeed over the hill to the extent that Franco Sensi mocked us for getting him. I believe Moratti wanted Batigol in 2000 but he preferred Roma, and in hindsight he made the right choice back then. Anyhow Batistuta was an emergency signing after Crespo got injured so it wasn't planned well. Replacing Crespo with another Argie striker - Cruz - in summer 2003 was better.

Forlan, well tbh I didn't expect him to fail but again like Gabigol he arrived at a time (11-12) when Inter lacked stability and on a decline. Gasperini, then Ranieri and finally Stramaccioni. I also remember he had injury issues.

I never saw Pancev play obviously (was too young) but him accusing Italian players of being against him is rather silly. Ferri, Bergomi and Zenga won a Scudetto with Ramon Diaz, Matthaus and Brehme in 89, and won a UEFA cup with the 3 Germans in 91. Not to mention the UEFA cup of 94 with Sosa, Jonk and Bergkamp.

Moreover Sosa had scored 20 league goals in 92-93 when Pancev scored 1 league goal all season. Sounds like a lame justification.

Looking at Pancev's record, obviously amazing at Red Star (100+ goals and Champion of Europe) but even after he left Inter he played for 2 German clubs and a Swiss club and barely scored, something like 4-5 goals in 2 and a half seasons

May be he was the type who didn't adapt abroad. He simply failed everywhere outside of Red Star.

Moreover he blamed Bagnoli, but even with Ottavio Bianchi afterwards in 94-95 he didn't play much (7 Serie A appearances that season)

In fact Bianchi used him even less than Bagnoli

I doubt everyone hated him just because he was Macedonian.

In any case, a certain Macedonian won a European Cup with us the following century so Pandev made up for Pancev. One letter difference, heh. :)

·
Registered
15,805 Posts
Pancev was just a poacher I think. No real ability outside the box.

181 - 185 of 185 Posts