Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
At Parma and Lazio he was unbelievable.

Top 5? I think Ronaldo, Henry, Shevchenko and Van Nistelrooy certainly provide four out of the top five. After that, who knows? Perhaps.

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
crap playa

great goalscorer but limited playa. probably in da same class as Bierhoff etc.

I say he's a poor manz Batistuta and Argentina's symbol of a choking generation

·
Administrator
52,980 Posts
He declined WAY too soon, Lazio and Parma days was ages ago. He has mainly been inconsistent or mediocre mostly since then. Not in the top of the strikers since his Lazio days. Just been a journey man who shows his predatorial quality now and then, never consistently or main man, such as a player should to be considered top 5.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
He declined WAY too soon, Lazio and Parma days was ages ago. He has mainly been inconsistent or mediocre mostly since then. Not in the top of the strikers since his Lazio days. Just been a journey man who shows his predatorial quality now and then, never consistently or main man, such as a player should to be considered top 5.
His body fails him now, but he showed yesterday he's still a fantastic professional. And I disagree on him declining too soon, for me he only started giving in last season, before that he was not inconsistent as you say, but rather the opposite for me. Even if he didn't score 26 goals like in lazio, he was still very strong.

·
Administrator
52,980 Posts
His body fails him now, but he showed yesterday he's still a fantastic professional. And I disagree on him declining too soon, for me he only started giving in last season, before that he was not inconsistent as you say, but rather the opposite for me. Even if he didn't score 26 goals like in lazio, he was still very strong.
I agree he physically and visibly declined well and truly last season. But he is a poacher, and you judge them based on what they produce, and since his Lazio days of being in his prime, his production has been lacking. Thats what I mean with mediocre or inconsistent.

I mean, his goalscoring rate since Lazio is not worthy of someone being compared to the best strikers. In Chelsea, Milan and Inter, The first 4 seasons since leaving Lazio, his production was 7, 10, 10, 10 in the league (he is primarly a poacher and nothing but, doesnt add much else, so having less goals then creative forward like Del Piero for example isnt good for a top striker).

Not really top of the world scorer, no? Modest numbers, midfielders numbers really, not a clinical poachers. He had a mini resurgence 2 seasons ago, where he scored respectable 14 league goals for Inter, he was somewhat consistent then. And to be finally done and dusted last season. He shouldnt really have been hanging around too long in Inter, but I guess its hard to give up your last big payday.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
In terms of talent, he's at the very top, but his legacy isn't as great as it could have been because he's one of those players always at the wrong place at the wrong time. For one, he never had a chance to settle at a team for the long term. Secondly, whereever he was, everything goes wrong (Lazio collapse when Sven quit, Milan CL final, Copa America Final which he sat out injured, even the Olympics for that matter). It's quite astonishing that a player like him did not win a league title until 2006.

I think his vegabond style, always moving around among different teams, affected his long term sustainability at the top, since there was no single team that looked after him.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
Top 20 or so...
but way better than Vieri and Super Poopo Il Sucky, for sure!

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
I agree in everything you say. His first stint with Inter wasn't as bad as he scored alot of goals in Cl.

He only fell off last year but before that he was constantly providing service.

Such a pity people think that this guy could only score. Yes, he was mainly a predator on the box but he was never just a RVN as he would get involved in the game alot more. His time at Parma and Lazio prove that.

As for the topic itself. I don't think he is top 5, and I probably love him just as much as I love my dad ( :pp :proud: ) but he was truly a great player and definetly deserves to be top 10.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
Open another thread and you will be told the harsh reality of life :hopeful:
:happy: - Dagoods only opens up quality threads...wouldn't waste Dagoods time/thread on SUPER POOPO IL SUCKY! but thanks for the encouragement!

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
In terms of talent, he's at the very top, but his legacy isn't as great as it could have been because he's one of those players always at the wrong place at the wrong time. For one, he never had a chance to settle at a team for the long term. Secondly, whereever he was, everything goes wrong (Lazio collapse when Sven quit, Milan CL final, Copa America Final which he sat out injured, even the Olympics for that matter). It's quite astonishing that a player like him did not win a league title until 2006.
Oh, it was much more than that. The worst bit of bad luck for him was getting injured a few months before the 1998 World Cup. He did all the work to get Argentina qualified and then lost his place to Batistuta. That was his biggest problem, the shadow of Batistuta. After 1995/1996 or so, no matter what he did, Batistuta seemed to be there to reap the benefit. 2002 World Cup was the same. Crespo should have started.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Oh, it was much more than that. The worst bit of bad luck for him was getting injured a few months before the 1998 World Cup. He did all the work to get Argentina qualified and then lost his place to Batistuta. That was his biggest problem, the shadow of Batistuta. After 1995/1996 or so, no matter what he did, Batistuta seemed to be there to reap the benefit. 2002 World Cup was the same. Crespo should have started.
You don't bench Batistuta. You can't.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
In 2002 he deserved the place more than Bati (in 1998, no ****ing way), even when I don't like the dude at all...

he was a vagabond but till these last two years, he never was a flop in the pitch, neither had problems to adapt anywhere (League or Club)..

still? Hernanito me resulta insoportable...infumable...

PD: he had his moments too in a certain team call River or sthg. I've heard is a team froma legaue in some other continent...of course a continent that would never coup with the lightining bolt pace of those european players like Zarate, Lavezzi, Messi, Aguero and cia...

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
In 2002 he deserved the place more than Bati (in 1998, no ****ing way), even when I don't like the dude at all.....
I don't know how you can say that about the 1998 World Cup, Fangio. Look at the scoring stats for the qualifying matches. I remember this topic being discussed a long time ago. Argentina were not doing well until Passarella switched to Crespo for the qualifiers. He would have started except for the injury at Parma.

·
Registered
45,354 Posts
I don't know how you can say that about the 1998 World Cup, Fangio. Look at the scoring stats for the qualifying matches. I remember this topic being discussed a long time ago. Argentina were not doing well until Passarella switched to Crespo for the qualifiers. He would have started except for the injury at Parma.
As far as I recall, he was really making a name for himself, but Batigol was on fire back then and that continued into the next season where he single-handedly led Fiorentina to the top of the table for some time.

I remember one "critic" who wrote profiles for each player before WC98 (if I'm not wrong, I think the site was worldsoccernews.com). His description of Crespo as no more than a "donkey" (I'm sure that's the word he used) in the shadow of Batistuta was incredibly silly. Of course, he'd later be proved entirely wrong when Crespo would continue to go from strength to strength. Funnily enough, I recall that his descriptions of other players from all teams were more accurate...not to mention measured.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts