Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 20-year absence, Hern returned to the playing field today for his first "competitive" soccer match.

Some young'uns at the firm I work for decided to organize a soccer tournament. Since I run the company intranet they asked me to help publicize it and to come take pictures of the tournament.

They didn't get quite the number of signups they had hoped for so they decided to have four teams and play 6 on 6. Each game would be 30 minutes long and the two teams with the best records after three games would play in a championship game.

I really hadn't planned on playing. In fact, I thought I was going to officiate but they decided not to do that. I just watched the first two rounds of matches but after that folks starting leaving. One team and no subs left so I offered to be a sub for them. I ended up playing a bit over half of the third game and almost all of the championship match. Our squad won, mainly because we had three really good, in shape players who just ran by everyone (no, I was not one of them).

It was fun being back on the field. I had no problem with positioning and I saw the field well. But I had absolutely no wind and very little quickness (OK, I never had much of that but what little I did have I no longer possess). It was a co-ed match and I'm afraid I nearly beheaded one lady when I tried to do a nifty one-on-one move on her. The ball went the right way and my feet headed in the correct direction but the rest of me didn't follow and I gave her a pretty good whollop on the side of the noggin. I apologized profusely, which I know isn't normally done in competitive soccer.

So I've taken a hot shower, some Ibuprofin and I'm nursing a beer. At 4:00 I'll watch the pros on TV with an even greater appreciation for what they can do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
*grins*

You should speak with Oldplayer about this. I am sure he will have some tips for you about how to ease the pain. :D :D

I am sure you had a great time! It is always fun to get back on the field! There is nothing like it.

Enjoy the games; I would be watching them, but my TV decided today was a good day to quit. :(

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
No OP was probably administering first aid to the woman Hern nearly beheaded. Im just not sure Mouth to Mouth was required.:D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Mouth to Mouth NOT Necessary!

Hell, Hern. I WAS that woman you nearly decapitated! When that team got low on players, I came in with my ringer shirt and Xtratime brasierre. Why do you think you were finally able to out run someone?

Nice move, though. I had to hack you to keep you from meggin' me!

Love and kisses

OP

Plus, isn't it GREAT to play SOCCER!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Way TOO much information!

Somethings just don't need to be said (or pictured :D)

-Turtle

P.S. Funny as hell though! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is Meola's last trip...Can you be ready to play in the net in four years? :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turtle said:
This is Meola's last trip...Can you be ready to play in the net in four years? :D
No, no, no, I want no part of goalkeeper. That's for crazy people.
:nervous:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oldplayer said:
Mouth to Mouth NOT Necessary!

Hell, Hern. I WAS that woman you nearly decapitated!
Really, OP? Wow, you're a cutie! :flirt: :heart: :horny: :kiss:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oldsocfan said:
:dielaugh:
And good for you, Hern buddy! You will be back in professional shape in no time! :D
You know it my friend. Six months off and I'll be ready for more. :howler:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, ok Hern, I am sure we can find you some place else to play! :D Guarding the water bottles perhaps? :cool:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Crazy People

PaulMay,

Not you, too? And to think up until now I respected your opinions!:D

Oldplayer

BTW Hern, I think the lack of oxygen was affecting your vision. I'm not THAT cute!:eek: ;)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
OP I always wondered why people thought we Goalkeepers were crazy. Just because we hurl our bodies at the feet of center forwards as they try to put the ball through us. If they fail they end up kicking us in the teeth or other parts not honorable to mention. Does not make us crazy. We hurl our bodies through the air land on our heads to stop a ball going in the top corner. does not make us crazy, or to get in the way of a shot comming in at you at 75mph crazy. (Stupid yes crazy no) What is crazy is if our team loses 1-0 we take the loss yet we win 1-0 the team takes the win. Its a thankless job and we are seldom recognized for it. Who gets the glory and the money? those prissy a$$ forwards. They can make 30 mistakes in a match and no one says anything yet a keeper makes one mistake and it could mean his job. Lets see any other player on the pitch play under those conditions, and not even get paid in the same bracket. thats crazy. So to all you prissy forwards out there Bow your heads to the guys that save your bacon every week.
Now for me I do it all for Free and love it. that must make me Insane.:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
<---- Prissy a$$ forward who uses his alotted 30 mistakes! :D :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
A Fair Hearing

"And Your Honor, at this Competency hearing, I bring to the stand Mr. PaulMay, as my Exhibit "A".":D

I think you've pretty well summed up the case against sanity, PM!

Oldplayer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts