Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 425 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the 20005 Brasilian League is about to start... and this year I think we'll see a much tighter competition. São Paulo, Cruzeiro and Santos look quite strong but there are question marks in all of them. Fluminense and Internacional may create some surprises, and Corinthians/MSI's reinforced squad demands attention, to see if "the best team on paper" will become the best in reality.

São Paulo lost their manager Emerson Leão to a Japanese club and that may cost them, especially considering that they still haven't chosen a replacement.

Cruzeiro flopped in the Mineiro final and had several tactical flaws exposed by Ipatinga. They should do better than last year, especially if they manage to keep their deadly striker Fred, but there are a lot of spaces in their defense. Of course, the same could be said about last year's Santos, and they ended up winning the trophy. :D

Santos relies heavily on Robinho, their squad without him is strong but not significantly superior to the other contenders – and if Robinho indeed leaves, their expectations for the competition will inevitably have to be adjusted.

Corinthians looks like a title candidate, with an undeniably-strong squad and the promise of further reinforcements (like Vagner Love and Mascherano). But they still are irregular, which already cost them the Paulista. The question mark here is the same of other "star-studded teams" from the past, whether the large egoes involved (like Roger, Tevez, Carlos Alberto, Favio Costa and others) will co-exist peacefully or not.

Later I'll post more thoughts about the participants and competitors... but what are your thoughts?

Who will be the champion?
Who will be relegated?
Who will be the top goalscorer?
Who will be the star of the competition?
Will this championship be different from last year's?

·
Administrator
30,845 Posts
The funny thing is that the coach dance this year was heavy, before the competition we had Atletico-MG, Corinthians, Santos, Palmeiras, Flamengo, Vasco, Botafogo, Sao Paulo, Sao Caetano, Ponte Preta, Atletico-Pr, Parana, Brasiliense with coaches changes. Some with several coaches changes and they will start the competition without coaches, meaning in the upcoming statistic they are going to add the number of changes.

Who will be the champion? Atletico-MG. Of course a clear cold analyse do not make me point any team to make the bet, so I pick Atletico because I am a supporter. This is the only time where being a supporter matters.
Who will be relegated: Paysandu always dabbles with the position, Fortaleza does not inspire me much. Vasco, Flamengo and Botafogo I think are going to have the same problems of the last year. Ponte Preta, Parana, Brasiliense are good names also. Figuerense and Goias, usually more strong had problems. Atletico-MG still with the same problems of the last year...
Who will be the top goalscorer: This question is so hard because we know players who go well in the first half are most likely to move to europe. So, I could say Fred and Deivid. But it will end to be someone else
The star of competition still the same one: Robinho.
The champion will be different ? Santos still have Robinho. The key word is "still"

·
Registered
798 Posts
I am undecided who I want to win: Flu because they have the best shiret - Fogo for Garrincha, or Atletico Mineiro in memory of the great Cerezo.

·
Administrator
30,845 Posts
The Brazilian league will start this weekend, and here is incomplete Guide of J.C. for you lazybones:

The rules are the same; everyone against everyone, the one with more points will win. Four are going to be relegated. Let’s see our 22 teams:

1 – São Paulo: Lost Leao the coach and still (so far) without a replacement. The team won the paulista easily and is doing very fine with Libertadores. Rogerio Ceni, Cicinho, Lugano, Junior, Danilo, Jossue, Mineiro, Diego Tardelli and Grafitte are the main players.
2 – Palmeiras: Several changes in the command have destroyed the main power of the team last year: Group union. Leader Magrao and always with the doctors Pedrinho are still the principal players ,now helped by Marcos, who have returned but so far did not showed his best form. Bonamingo was just signed and will try to work out with the modest but brave Palmeiras.
3 – Corinthians: Now the richest club in this country has also the better list of names. But so far they are far from perfect and the team still has holes (holes they hope to cover with Mascherano and Wagner Love). Tevez have adapted to the team, their fans trusts more in the team.
4 – Sao Caetano: They still trying to find a coach to do the kind of work with limited group that Jair Pirceni and a few others did. But they still have a vast and organized group, even if weaker and they will probably still be a hard adversary.
5 – Ponte Preta: a very poor paulista is not a good signal for the only remaining team of Campinas. They seem to have very little power to keep the players who show some quality, even with their limited group.
6 – Santos. They key word is Robinho. If he stays they have one of the best teams around, even if they still without a coach to make Leao or Luxemburgo’s work.
7 – Juventude: The usual routine of Juventude is building a group without much pretension filled with a few experiment players from RJ-SP. They are just regular in the Gaucho, so they quickly became one of the “possible” relegated in many lists.
8 – Internacional: Too much torments but a lot of trust in Muricy’s work. The attempt to use the young players still his rule and Fernandao and Tinga are the most famous names.
9 – Figuerense: They used to be organized but the first months of this year have been only hell to them and many doubts if they can keep the average level they showed in the previous years.
10 – Fortaleza: The great problem of Fortaleza seems to keep the physical level up with the other teams. A shame for they have a great popular appeal.
11 – Payssandu flirts with the relegation every single year, despite the sympathy many feel for them. The structure they have seems not able to help them to face a competition with all Brazil. Just like Fortaleza they can succeed however if they manage to use the home factor well.
12 – Goias: Goias is funny and irregular team. They are able to go in the top positions one year and disappear in the next. All this, plus a weak regional do not help many to trust Goias. Their main player stills the veteran right back that does everything, Paulo Bayer.
13 – Brasiliense: The youngest club of competition have name: Marcelinho Carioca, but the team does not resembles the fast and motivated team that surprised everyone in the Taça do Brasil a few years ago.
14 – Atletico-Pr: The team still in the Libertadores but lost many players from the last year and Dagoberto still have to return. They still have Fernandinho and a good group, but they are far from the form showed last year.
15 – Coritiba: The team played the final with Atletico-Pr and was able to keep it even. The team still have to make their fans happy.
16 – Parana still suffering with a limited group, money. Their hope is too seeing Renaldo scoring many goals there although this is a very small hope.
17 – Atletico-MG. Wasted the first months with Procopio and it is team without physical condition to be competitive. A few good players like Renato and Rodrigo Fabri do not hide the several defensive problems.
18 – Cruzeiro: The problems of their team still big, they are far from the good group of 2003. The big name is Fred. If he stays.
19 – Fluminense: They are the best team of Rio, but they should hear what they say and laugh. That is too little.
20 – Flamengo. There is one thing to say (flamengo still without a coach) : Will be this year the fall of Flamengo ?
21 – Vasco: The team is ridiculous. Romario struggles to scored a few goals, Alex Dias help a little. The rest is just the rest.
22 – Botafogo: There is something positive, they are working with PC Gusmao for quite a time. This may give them some edge. However their defense still ridiculous…Scheidt is our biggest falsification we made since Scotch Whiskey…the false Scotches, of course.

·
Administrator
30,845 Posts
It started:

23/04

Flamengo 1(Junior Baiano) x 1(Fred) Cruzeiro
São Caetano 2(Marcinho,Fabio Pinto) x 2(Osmar, Warley) Palmeiras
Atlético-MG 4(Rodrigo, Euller, Crap Player, Ataliba) x 1(Rodrigo) Figueirense
Paraná 0 x 2( Lei, Fabio)Goiás

·
Registered
166 Posts
Osmar(Palmeiras) is wicked ! More good results like this and he might be called up to the selecao ..... I wish ....

Nice match At.MG !!! How was the match JCamilo ??? who were the players that shone ???

·
Administrator
30,845 Posts
Osmar ? I think he will never be called to any place, but who knows since even Fabiano Eller was...

I have not watched the game, just listened by the Radio and the Radio lies. I can say the result 4 x 1 was a bit bigger than what the game seemed to be...

·
Administrator
30,845 Posts
I watch but we are withot money to pay for paper-view this year and also we have no intention to give money to a team that signed Fabio Jr :tongue:
I can find bares and friends and with paper-view but yesterday I was not that animated and I was reading a book.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: today's Internacional 0 X 2 Botafogo game

:proud: :star:

·
Administrator
30,845 Posts
24/05

Santos 4(Deivid, Robinho, Edmilson, Leo) x 1(Leonardo[og]) Paysandu
Internacional 0 x 2(Cesar Prates, Tulio) Botafogo
Corinthians 2(Tevez, Marcelo Mattos) x 2(Enilton, Naldo) Juventude
Fluminense 2(Tuta[2]) x 1(Souza) Sao Paulo
Brasiliense 2(Giovani, Tiano) x 2(Romario, Alex Dias) Vasco
Ponte Preta 0 x 1(Kahe) Ponte Preta
Fortaleza 0 x 1(Jackson) Coritiba

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I only watched Atlético/MG's game. And the score was really more than it should have been. Not that Atlético didn't deserve to win, but a 2-1 score would tell more accurately what the game was.

We still have big defensive problems. Our DMs suck big time (at least the ones who started, with Zé Antônio coming back we will get better), and our central defenders are even worst. The reason to be optimistic is Rodrigo Fabri, playing the best football of his career since he appeared in Portuguesa. Euller was decisive in the match, and Prieto had his best game so far. Fabio Junior had a crappy game even if he scored a nice goal in the final minutes, what will justify his presence in the following games (enganador profissional).

Nice win by Botafogo, Garrincha! Did you watch the game? Not putting Botafogo down, but I watched Inter against Paulista and they seemed very overrated. Their defensive system is not well organized and upfront they depend on inconsistent players like Jorge Wagner and Diego. They have to do a lot more to be considered one of the favourites, like the Brazilian media made they seem.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Roberto Gallo said:
Nice win by Botafogo, Garrincha! Did you watch the game? Not putting Botafogo down, but I watched Inter against Paulista and they seemed very overrated. Their defensive system is not well organized and upfront they depend on inconsistent players like Jorge Wagner and Diego. They have to do a lot more to be considered one of the favourites, like the Brazilian media made they seem.
Yeah, I watched it. PC Gusmão made the whole squad work very hard and it was visible inside the pitch, not only tactically but also physically – Scheidt was incredibly thin (now we know that his ass ISN'T actually as large as it was in the Carioca!!), Ramon had more mobility and overall our team was sharp as a razor, Internacional's team "died" on the second half and Botafogo continued to run and occupy spaces well. If Alex Alves hadn't missed a couple of golden counterattacking chances on the 2nd half, the goal difference might have been even bigger. :eekani:

Botafogo wasn't perfect by any means, but we were competitive and well-organized... and as you pointed out, Inter has serious defensive problems. They play a 3-5-2 with a serious tactical flaw, both their wingers are defensively hopeless and that put too much of pressure on their defensive line. I'm not sure the 3-5-2 is the best system for them, but apparently Muricy Ramalho really likes that format.

While not yet enough to fill me with confidence, this result was a welcome change – the last time Botafogo won in our Brasileiro debut was in 1992!! – and it shows that some things are being done right. Some of Bota's reinforcements have shown quality, like ex-Volta Redonda DM Jonilson (who defended tirelessly and stole many balls, reminding me of a young Amaral), while others failed to impress, like ex-Cabofriense leftback Oziel (frequently caught out of position). So I'm happy, but with reservations... there's a long way to go yet. :)

·
Administrator
30,845 Posts
Ramon had more mobility and overall our team was sharp as a razor, Internacional's team "died" on the second half and Botafogo continued to run and occupy spaces well.
I suppose the elimination from the finals in rio was positive and seems like it was, because gave Bota's time to organize.

Frizzy:

Yes, it is the same Kahe

1 - 20 of 425 Posts