Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, somebody tell me which SP club the guys comes from. pls. Thx.

CESF

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...come on, Ze, its CATANHA, the guy who turned into a Spaniard.........

CESF

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Nobody Had Ever Heard Of Catanha

Nobody knew Catanha before he appeared in Spain, Alexx. That's the simple truth. There are hundreds of almost-amateur clubs in Brazil which are funded by agents, with the sole purpose of breeding talented footballers for export. Catanha must have been revealed by one of these teams, which are usually non-league clubs that couldn't stay financially afloat if the agents didn't fund them. Brazil has talented youngsters everywhere, so these agents need "factories" to prepare these kids for export. These no-name clubs are perfect for that, as there aren't problems with supporters - the agent can sell and buy whoever he pleases.

Example: Real Madrid tried to sign this extremely talented 15-year-old playmaker from Santos, but the supporters complained, and the board of directors vetoed the transfer. In a non-league club nothing like that would happen; the agent pays the bills and effectively owns the team. Not nice, but that's real life.

So we have these totally unknown clubs with players like Catanha and Eriberto in our lower divisions; the players develop, score some pretty goals, the agent takes the tapes of these goals to Europe, the players follow to be tested and BAM! Catanha appears in Spain after being absolutely and completely anonymous in Brazil. He played well a couple of matches, and before any Brazilian coach could even consider calling him up for the NT, the Spanish coach noticed he had a Spanish passport (wonder how he got that passport, heh - isn't that the reason Recoba was banned?) and voilá!, Catanha is in the Spanish NT. :rolleyes:

But he was nobody before he went to Spain. So I suppose it's only fair that Spain can use his services; he'd have to wait in line to play for Brazil anyway. ;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Let me add that I'm guessing Catanha came from such an "agent-owned" club. I have no idea where he came from; but it's very common these days for Brazilians nobody's ever heard of to appear in Europe - and their usual origin is "breeding grounds" such as these. But in reality I haven't the foggiest notion where Catanha actually came from. :)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Garrincha ! Pretty scary information too, as this sounds a bit like homeground for organised crime. Show mobsters lucrative business like that and they usually flock in like turbo lightning. I hope the situation is better and not like my guess, of course.....

thx again !

:)

CESF

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Alexx,
that's what Careca's team does in Campinas, Sao Paulo. Also Rivaldo and Cesar Sampaio have a club that are doing that, and they have already sent a 15 year older toplay for Barcelona.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts