Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swiss international defender Stephane Henchoz has insisted Liverpool are a better side than Manchester United.
Last season Liverpool failed to qualify for the Champions League, while United won the Premiership title.

This season Gerard Houllier's side have fared little better - Liverpool are fifth, 19 points behind United.

Henchoz told the club's LFC magazine: "When each player is on top form I would even go so far to say we are superior to Manchester United."

The Swiss defender added: "I feel that if you were to take each player individually and compare them with Manchester United's, then, I'm sorry, I do not think we are any worse than them.

"If you were then to take four players from the bench, I would still have the same impression.

"You should realise that I am talking about players being at the top of their form, because I have seen our players at the top of their form.

"That is why I do not understand the last season and a half. It is possible that we have not had all 11 players playing at their peak."





What a load of complete rubbish - Henchoz is obviously a very deluded individual !!!
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Henchoz went a bit over the top but he was right.

Man for man we are in theory a slightly better team, in picking a combined Liverpool/United 11, you'd have something like this:

Dudek
Finnan-Henchoz-Ferdinand-O'Shea
LeTallec-Gerrard-Scholes-Giggs
RVN-Owen

6 Liverpool, 5 United. Add your manager, and our board and you'd be set.

I'm being generous selecting Scholes in midfield, he should really be vying with Owen to partner RVN, and Owen wins cos he's a natural striker. And Didi is MILES better than Phil Chuckle who normally plays CM. so i could easily have gone 7-4 to us.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Mike said:
Dudek, Finnan, Henchoz, Gerrard, Hamann, Kewell and Owen would all walk into the Manure team no problems.
I posted that in the "United over-rated" topic. This would be the Manure Liverpool best 11 in my opinion.



Code:
                     Dudek

Finnan         Ferdinand    Henchoz     O Shea


Gerrard          Hamann      Scholes    Kewell

                  
                  Owen         RVN
If the Manure faithful wanna be picky, they have an arguement for Giggs to make the team. No one else though.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Fair enough, I'd pick Giggs at the moment cos Kewell ain't playing well. You mid is prob spot on(if Giggs was in it) with Gerrard out right, although with Gerrard in the form he's in now I'd have to pick him in the centre. On current form I'd pick Gerrard over any CM in the world, including Vieira and Ballack.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I was thinking about Stevie in the center with Le Tallec out wide, but I decided against it because Didi is a better DM than what Le Tallec is a right winger and Gerrard is better out wide than what Le Tallec is. The midfield picks itself like the rest of the team does, with the exception of the left of midfield, which is debatable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,853 Posts
7-4.......6-5.....11-0........

Keep the Scousers away from our team.I don't wanna be rotting in the UEFA Cup or celebrating The Worthless Cup anytime soon.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doc_Rule said:
Henchoz went a bit over the top but he was right.

Man for man we are in theory a slightly better team, in picking a combined Liverpool/United 11, you'd have something like this:

Dudek
Finnan-Henchoz-Ferdinand-O'Shea
LeTallec-Gerrard-Scholes-Giggs
RVN-Owen

6 Liverpool, 5 United. Add your manager, and our board and you'd be set.

I'm being generous selecting Scholes in midfield, he should really be vying with Owen to partner RVN, and Owen wins cos he's a natural striker. And Didi is MILES better than Phil Chuckle who normally plays CM. so i could easily have gone 7-4 to us.
Disagree with you big time - there is no way that you can tell me that Finnan is better than Gary Neville - he may well be a better attacking full back but in recent times Gary Neville has added crossing as a good facet of his game - just look at the OPTA stats if you don't believe me.

I would have Howard over Dudek any day - just look at the last 2 games at Anfield - the double strike of Forlan last season and Giggs this season were down to Dudek's ineptness and the fact that he bottled those games.

Silvestre is a much better centre half than Henchoz - he is pacy, skillful on the ball and has improved massively since we first signed him. Henchoz is slow, can't play the long diagonal balls that Silvestre does and he is on the tail end of his career.

Cristiano Ronaldo is much better than Le Tallec, if anything Sinama-Pongolle is a better prospect and I would have him over both of those two. I would also say that Solskjaer is the best from both teams on the right.

That leaves Owen who is clearly better than Saha and Gerrard who would walk into any Premiership team.

So to sum up - you are wrong and so is Henchoz. Just look at our trophy cabinet in comparison to yours in recent years and I am sure you will agree that there is no contest.

The only team in the UK that rivals us player for player and on team spirit is Arsenal - I don't like the Gooners but I certainly respect them and the football they play. I can't say the same for Liverpool since the 80s despite that season when you won a few cups !!!
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Pav said:
Disagree with you big time - there is no way that you can tell me that Finnan is better than Gary Neville - he may well be a better attacking full back but in recent times Gary Neville has added crossing as a good facet of his game - just look at the OPTA stats if you don't believe me.

I would have Howard over Dudek any day - just look at the last 2 games at Anfield - the double strike of Forlan last season and Giggs this season were down to Dudek's ineptness and the fact that he bottled those games.

Silvestre is a much better centre half than Henchoz - he is pacy, skillful on the ball and has improved massively since we first signed him. Henchoz is slow, can't play the long diagonal balls that Silvestre does and he is on the tail end of his career.

Cristiano Ronaldo is much better than Le Tallec, if anything Sinama-Pongolle is a better prospect and I would have him over both of those two. I would also say that Solskjaer is the best from both teams on the right.

That leaves Owen who is clearly better than Saha and Gerrard who would walk into any Premiership team.

So to sum up - you are wrong and so is Henchoz. Just look at our trophy cabinet in comparison to yours in recent years and I am sure you will agree that there is no contest.

The only team in the UK that rivals us player for player and on team spirit is Arsenal - I don't like the Gooners but I certainly respect them and the football they play. I can't say the same for Liverpool since the 80s despite that season when you won a few cups !!!
Absolute nonsense.

Finnan is far better than Neville, hence Fergie spent 18 months trying to buy Finnan. It's not even close.

Dudek wasn't to blame for either goals this year, and only one of last years was his fault. Dudek is world class, Howard is average

Henchoz is better than Silvestre, simple as. No contest

Le Tallec is better than Ronaldo. Substance over style every time. Le Tallec did more against Everton than Ronaldo has all season.

Look at your trophy cabinet in recent years?? what the **** has that got to do with the players on each team now.

Man for man , ourselves, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle are all better than united.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doc_Rule said:
Absolute nonsense.

Man for man , ourselves, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle are all better than united.
I am not even going to bother responding to this particulcar comment - you are obviously a seriously deluded individual if you truly believe the credence of your statement.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Combined teams between

Liverpool - United = easily 6-5 to us, good claim for 7-4, or even 8-3

Arsenal - United = easily 8-3, good claim for 9-2

Chelski - United = easily 8-3, good claim for 7-4

Newcastle - United = shaky 6-5, good claim for 6-5 United.
 

·
Cachorro
Joined
·
18,741 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
Man for man , ourselves, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle are all better than united.
To use your own catchphrase, Doc... 'Absolute nonsense'.

Really... what's the point of these sterile "man-to-man" comparisons exactly? It's more than obvious that neither Liverpool nor Newcastle are on the same level as Manchester and Arsenal; the results speak for themselves. Trophies are not won by the best list of players, but by the best teams. ;)

You can make these comparisons till doomsday, and conclude that your team "would have" six, seven or even all the positions in an imaginary "combined eleven".... :rollani: But what's the point, when clearly Manchester is a far superior TEAM?
:confused:

Even if you were right about United's squad being so inferior to the others, it would only increase United's merits – after all they're doing better than all those supposedly-superior squads, and staying firmly above them all :mute: – and it also would make the "superior squads" look rather pathethic, for getting their arses kicked by a "weaker team" so often.

Unless you want to convince someone that Liverpool is somehow better than ManU, based on the "combined eleven"...? :googly:
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
GARRINCHIA, read what Henchoz said, he said we had better players than Manure, and we clearly do, so do Newcastle, Arsenal and Chelsea. I never once said we had a better team than them, i said MAN FOR MAN WE ARE BETTER THAN THEM. Individually United are decidedly average this season, as a team they are still very good though and are doing well, this is down to team spirit, determination and boring the socks off everyone they play.

We have played United and Arsenal off the pitch this season, and lost both times, our problems are: our manager is a tactically inept fool and inconsistancy. the 11 men we put on the pitch when we are at full strength are as good as anyone in the league individually and if we had a decent manager who understood how the game should be played, then collectively we would be right up there as well.
 

·
Cachorro
Joined
·
18,741 Posts
I see what you mean, Doc. The Liverpool management's seemingly-endless patience with Houllier is a mystery, no doubt... looking at Liverpool's squad I agree that they should be doing much better.

The first time I heard about Houllier's "five-year-plan" to take Liverpool back to greatness I thought it was interesting, but wondered if the club and fans would be willing to 'bite the bullet' for those five years. Now the years have passed, and both club and fans have given him everything he wanted... and Liverpool is still underperforming. :mute:

Maybe the problem was with the whole "five-year-plan" in the first place... I've seen competent managers step in clubs and turn things around in MUCH less time. In the end, Houllier's request for a five-year tolerance only served to guarantee his job for half a decade. I remember Liverpool fans demanding his head last season, and the biggest argument in his defense was that the five years were not complete yet... :wth:

Gotta hand it to Houllier... he found a clever way to avoid getting fired. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,853 Posts
Let the deluded Swiss babble(another Liverpool "great":howler: )on as much as he wants.

While he retires as a loser with nothing to show for in his "illustrious":dielaugh::howler: career,the likes of Gaz and Micky will be mentioned many times for their accomplishments.;)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top