Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where else to ask this question, so I came here.

Can someone tell me about the two flags of Scotland. The yellow/red one with the lion and the St. Andrews flag.

Is it inappropriate to use the lion flag? I understand that is the Queen's flag?

Which flag would a Scotland NT supporter use at an international match?

my greatgrandparents were from Scotland and I'm trying to learn more about it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Well you probably best ask a Scot for this, but i think the lion flag was the royal flag of Scottish kings and queens before 1707 and the act of union with England, but i dont think its used as an 'official' royal flag since (although the Lion appears as part of other royal flags but not on its own)

So basically today its main 'official' role is kind of like an alternative flag which is used by football fans :)

As for the St Andrews flag, that is religious in origin (and is used by some other countries/areas, only in different colours and slightly different designs). Its one of the oldest national flags in the world, dating back to before 12th century, and the cross represents Saint Andrew who refused to be crucified on the same type of cross as Jesus or something like that. There is also some legend about Scots being inspired to victory on the battlefield against the Saxons, when the white clouds formed a cross in the blue sky...

This flag is also used by Scottish football fans!

There is probably a bit about the flags in more detail here
http://www.fotw.ca/flags/

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Did Tartan Day inspire you to find out more about your connections with Scotland by any chance Humbird?:)

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always been interested, but don't seem to have much luck tracing the family history. I never seem to get very far for lack of records.

I also had noticed the lion flag forming part of the flag that was on the Queen Mother's casket during the funeral last week.

I find it all very interesting and I want to visit Scotland some day.

I have only seen the national team play a few times on television. One memorable match included some of the supporters wearing kilts with nothing underneath. When Scotland scored, they celebrated in a very unique way by lifting their kilts. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Humbird :D

As you noticed part of the Scottish flag "The Lion Rampant" as it's known was on the Queen Mother's flag at her funeral...

That is because she was part of the Bowes-Lyon family which is really the family name of the Earl's of Strathmore who own Glamis Castle in the North East of Scotland not that far from a place called Forfar.

So although she was born in England her family are really part of the Scottish nobility and the castle itself is meant to be part of the Shakespeare story Macbeth who was if i'm right a ancestor of the Bowes-Lyon family itself although i'll need to check out that fact...

I'm also sure that there are places in Scotland that can trace family roots....Do you by any chance know where your Greatgrandparents were born? and what your greatgrandmothers madien name was? If so it may prove useful in at least helping you to trace at least part of the family roots...

I'll see if i can find anymore imformation that maybe helpful...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts