Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's discuss the best possible tactics and formation to help our master tactician, since :

1. I'm sure Maldini went to dressing room and personally extracted Hakan or of the team for Paqueta as GM would never take out his puppy!

2. GM looked stoned from the beginning of the game. He might be in anti-depressants drugs and can't install his brilliant tactics to work.

3. It's 3:15 AM and I'm awake, bored, and unable to sleep.

So, given our players, what is your favorite formation? Where do you position Leao and ribic?

If play an u symmetric 4-2-3-1 with Bennacer and Kessie as dms, Paqueta infront of them as player maker, rebic as lw, leao as ss behind piatek.

-------------- Donna ------------
Conti --- donkey ---- Roman---Theo
---------- Kessie ---- Bennacer---
------------- Paqueta -----------
------------Leao------------ribic
------------------Piatek---------

When attacking, Kessie drifts to the right with Paqueta or leao help, the other one gets behind or next to Piatek.

For this formation to work, ref must show the red card to samu, Hakan, and Borini before the start of every game.

Discuss.

·
Super Moderator
13,625 Posts
Let's discuss the best possible tactics and formation to help our master tactician, since :

1. I'm sure Maldini went to dressing room and personally extracted Hakan or of the team for Paqueta as GM would never take out his puppy!

2. GM looked stoned from the beginning of the game. He might be in anti-depressants drugs and can't install his brilliant tactics to work.

3. It's 3:15 AM and I'm awake, bored, and unable to sleep.

So, given our players, what is your favorite formation? Where do you position Leao and ribic?

If play an u symmetric 4-2-3-1 with Bennacer and Kessie as dms, Paqueta infront of them as player maker, rebic as lw, leao as ss behind piatek.

-------------- Donna ------------
Conti --- donkey ---- Roman---Theo
---------- Kessie ---- Bennacer---
------------- Paqueta -----------
------------Leao------------ribic
------------------Piatek---------

When attacking, Kessie drifts to the right with Paqueta or leao help, the other one gets behind or next to Piatek.

For this formation to work, ref must show the red card to samu, Hakan, and Borini before the start of every game.

Discuss.
----------------Donnarumma----------------

---Conti----Anyone---Romagnoli----Hernandez

----------Kessié/Biglia--Bennacer-----------

----Suso--------Paquetá-------------Leao

-----------------Piatek--------------------

·
Super Moderator
13,625 Posts
Above all, though, he needs to get these guys to play as a team. The formation is secondary to that. Right now it's just 11 guys out there for most of the games. No sense of coordination at all.

We had that last season, however mediocre and painful to watch we were, we were a cohesive team. Everybody understood their role (i.e. everybody go back, fight hard, pass pass pass pass in the back, eventually throw it to Suso and then to Piatek). We've lost it even that now. Hopefully we'll have it again for most than 15 minutes next time.

Not sure what Rebic does as a starter. I get everyone hates Suso, but Rebic so far has looked absolutely brutal. Comes in, tries to do three tricks, falls on his ass, misses a sitter. Repeat. It's like Borini but directed by Emir Kusturica.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
----------------Donnarumma----------------

---Conti----Anyone---Romagnoli----Hernandez

----------Kessié/Biglia--Bennacer-----------

----Suso--------Paquetá-------------Leao

-----------------Piatek--------------------
This but maybe play Rebic as acm and Paqueta in Suso spot.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
——————-Biglia——————
Rebic—————————Ismael
——————Paqueta—————
———Leao—————Piantek—-

*Paqueta on top of the diamond formation.

————Biglia——Ismael———-
Rebic——————————Leao
——————Paqueta—————
——————Piantek—————-

*If need be, Ismael and Biglia move to protect front defense.

Borini to take the next available spot as game goes on. His running and energy. Also he knows when to get into the opponent box.

Sell the rest of the mids and strikers!

We need another Theo on the right back during winter mercato as a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Above all, though, he needs to get these guys to play as a team. The formation is secondary to that

I agree. Moreover I think it's a lot to do with confidence issues. The players are at their lowest self confidence level. I see them misplaced passes to teammates from 3 yards. Reina put it perfectly after the game last night - "when confidence is at such a low level, the football burns like fire. You don't want to be near it". Yes, it's the coach's responsibility to lift them up but when everything and everyone (media, fans,) is against you it's very difficult not to let your head drop. And this team has taken a lot of beating psychologically by everything and everyone in the last week. It just needs to catch some breaks.

Not sure what Rebic does as a starter. I get everyone hates Suso, but Rebic so far has looked absolutely brutal. Comes in, tries to do three tricks, falls on his ass, misses a sitter. Repeat. It's like Borini but directed by Emir Kusturica.

Honestly though I'd drop Suso. These days no one even knows what he does. Even his single trick (do a shoulder drop, cut to his left, shoot/cross) has disappeared, or rather not working. None of his crosses find our strikers and the shooting is wayward. And has he put on some weight? Someone help me as I can't be the only one who noticed.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Honestly though I'd drop Suso. These days no one even knows what he does. Even his single trick (do a shoulder drop, cut right, shoot/cross) has disappeared, or rather not working. None of his crosses find our strikers and the shooting is wayward. And has he put on some weight? Someone help me as I can't be the only one who noticed.
All that plus defensively his side of the field is our weakest position. With Bakayoko gone we don't really have anybody in the midfield that really wins balls back and so our right flank is very exposed and its not rocket science that our RB has had 2 red cards,probably conceded most of our goals from that side of the field and I feel like Suso is a big part of that.

·
Registered
24,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Honestly though I'd drop Suso. These days no one even knows what he does. Even his single trick (do a shoulder drop, cut to his left, shoot/cross) has disappeared, or rather not working. None of his crosses find our strikers and the shooting is wayward. And has he put on some weight? Someone help me as I can't be the only one who noticed.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1180597109046665219

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Lol...saw that in Twitter too.
Also Maldini did not re appear after half time. So does Boban.

Basically, Giampaolo was saved by his two subs Paqueta and Leao. Theo start bursting more on the left side after their intro.

I assume they confront Giampaolo at half time and lost his balls. This is the result of the two subs. If this is true, they odd to search for a new coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,625 Posts

I agree. Moreover I think it's a lot to do with confidence issues. The players are at their lowest self confidence level. I see them misplaced passes to teammates from 3 yards. Reina put it perfectly after the game last night - "when confidence is at such a low level, the football burns like fire. You don't want to be near it". Yes, it's the coach's responsibility to lift them up but when everything and everyone (media, fans,) is against you it's very difficult not to let your head drop. And this team has taken a lot of beating psychologically by everything and everyone in the last week. It just needs to catch some breaks.
No denying that the confidence is an issue. I'm one of these people who would never boo my own team in the stadium. At the same time, can't blame the people who actually pay their own money to go watch a bunch of millionaires play football and who even give up like amateurs when circumstances go wrong. It's a balance, but for sure confidence is a problem.

As I've said many times, I don't mind if Suso is dropped. The problem is for what? Yesterday our only two shots on target for 45 minutes were Suso. Yes wayward bla bla but no one else even shoots. The couple of passes behind the backs of defenders or the switching the play, unfortunately no one else is doing it. Jack tried and missed a couple.

If we manage to find a viable alternative, I honestly don't care -- even better so we don't need to deal with the "one trick fans'". Maybe Paquetá there, or Leao there, or a formation that doesn't need a AMR, which so far has not been at all possible. Especially with Piatek in dire form and no subs for him other than Leao.

But Rebic? I mean hope the guy is better than he's shown so far, but nothing to deserve a starting spot. Look at his "best plays highlights" from the Verona game, for which somehow he got a good rating. There was one good play that led to a foul, the rest is just LOL.

he was not much better the next game either.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Rumours of Giampaolo risking being sacked despite the win against Genoa...
I think he should get the last chance during and after the international break. How many of our players are even called up to national teams? I reckon a good amount of the players that are starting or starting material are available during this break...
There can be no more excuses from Giampaolo if we do not improve for the next game. He has had the whole summer and no European games so enough time to train and talk tactics during the week.
Now an extended period of time again to get his ideas through. This must be the last chance...

Am still a bit shocked about yesterdays starting line-up.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
As someone already mentioned, even with tbe best tactics ever, this team will fail bc they dont play as a team and dont have the confidence to succeed.

To change that we need to sign few champions, or get a great coach.

Nothing until now has shown Giampy can succeed (4 place finish) here.

·
Super Moderator
13,625 Posts
Well if he is replaced by the rumored ones, the season may get better but we'll still be looking for a manager in the long run.

I mean names like Rudy Garcia, Spalletti, Pioli... We really need to be looking outside of the usual "experienced in the league/household names" at the moment for a long-term manager. We should have in the summer, and we should for the next one unless someone like Allegri or Mourinho is a possibility.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If you don't get tired of asking for a "great, big name" coach, I for one won't get tired of reminding you that no big coach will come to Milan, not in our current condition. You want a big coach, spend money on players. Do we have money to pay for such coaches plus buy the players they would certainly ask for? That's a question only Elliott can answer with certainty. But we all have an idea, don't we?

So all of asking for topnotch coach, better do a reality check. Be real and tamper your Expectations.

·
Super Moderator
13,625 Posts
If you don't get tired of asking for a "great, big name" coach, I for one won't get tired of reminding you that no big coach will come to Milan, not in our current condition. You want a big coach, spend money on players. Do we have money to pay for such coaches plus buy the players they would certainly ask for? That's a question only Elliott can answer with certainty. But we all have an idea, don't we?

So all of asking for topnotch coach, better do a reality check. Be real and tamper your Expectations.
I've been very clear about this. There are a good dozen of coaches that we may have realistically hired this summer which all had CLEARLY better resumes than Giampaolo, including recent achievements exactly similar to those Milan are after, and who are also not the unattainable (or very unlikely) top 10-15 like Klopp or Guardiola or Conte or Allegri. You may not be super excited about them, but all have much better, recent results, and were more appropriate for the job if only "Serie A experience", passport, or a historical link with the club were not seemingly non-negotiable veto factors.

The problem is the insistence on Serie A/Milan names only that leads us to hire one midtable manager after an unexperienced manager and then another unexperienced manager and then another midtable manager.

Expectations should be that Milan hire a decent manager in line with the objectives. Hiring a perpetually midtable manager, giving him a semi-decent squad (competitive but with clear issues and very inexperienced) and expecting him to finish 4th is a huge leap of faith.

Of course Giampaolo so far has fared way below even my low expectations, fielding the worst Milan I have ever seen.

·
Registered
23,863 Posts
One thing is clear, we have really been found out in how we want to play from defense, but we are awful at playing out from pressure. Basically any team that put good pressure on us will give us loads of trouble. This is due to several reasons.

1. We dont have players that are both good at protecting the ball AND finding passes to escape pressure. Biglia and Kessie are good at protecting the ball, but cant make those passes that relieve pressure. Hakan and Bennacer are not good at protecting the ball. Paqueta is the exception, except he sometimes overdo his ball-holding dribbles.

2. We dont have a setup were there is a player in open space to pass to. This is the only thing that is on the manager, but also the player to show themselves. Conte is almost a master at this and it is very clear for a viewer to see how players move and there is almost always someone in open space. And the team in this case know where those open players are and can "blind-pass" there.

3. We suck at counterattacks. If your team cant counter then your opponents can pressure you with no worries about what happens if the pressure fail. We barerly have counterattacks, due to few quick players and slow passing. When we finally manage a counter we blow it with some mind-boggling bad decision or bad finish. We simply dont score on counters at all.

4. We got no player that can hold on to the ball in attack. Basically a Zlatan-like that is strong and can hold it back or a quick player that is not easily dispossesed.

Here we can talk formations as much as we want, but it doesnt matter as long as we dont have a plan on how to transition from defense to attack. If we cant make the team escape pressure and then in the second step establish attacks and our own pressure. Yeah our pressure is the other sore spot, as it work very seldom. Under Gattuso it was catastrophic.

Personally i would build my team around Paqueta and make sure he get the ball and get the right alternatives. Despite his talents I would not use Suso unless we got a similar threat on the left side and a working midfield. Right now attacks go there and die. I got a few ideas on how to achieve this, but its not sure it would work with our pea-brained players. which is why I will not use some of them.

With the ball and we start an attack the team should look like this:

----------------- Goalie ------------------------
-- Duarte -------------------------- Romagnoli --
------------------ Biglia ------------------------
Calabria ---------------- Bennacer --------------
---------- Kessie ------------------------- Theo
----------------- Paqueta ----------------------
---------------- Piatek ---------- Leao ----------

Depending on where the ball is the Bennacer/Theo/Leao and Calabria/Kessie/Piatek would be higher/lower.
- Paqueta shall find space between midfield and defense of opponent and from there should have Calabria/Theo to reach on both sides and Piatek/Leao one running behind their defense and other meeting up with him for combination. He should drift towards our right if there is space there.
- Bennacer should try to meet the ball. If he is under direct pressure then Biglia/Romagnoli/Theo should be there for easy alternatives, preferably Theo, but that depends on from were he got the ball. If not under direct pressure then he should find Paqueta or Calabria.
- Kessie should run into space to open up space for teammates. Even out on our right if needed. If he get the ball he should use his strength to protect it before delivering it to an open player with a simple pass. If we established an attack he should always run into the penalty area.
- Leao should move a bit to the left side to draw a player upon himself without closing the space for Theo. If Paqueta get the ball he make a run inwards to either go forward or meet the ball. That would open up even more for Theo. If Theo get the ball he can run on the left lane.
- Piatek shall try to open space for Paqueta. Apart from that he should always be in the penalty area.

Everyone should know were their teammates are even if not looking and they should always have a minimum of three alternatives. Few teams can block away three alternatives without taking huge risks.

Hakan and Bonaventura could be used with less effect than the mentioned players. I would use Hakan instead of Paqueta and Bonaventura instead of Bennacer/Kessie. That is because Bonaventura is to much of a ball-hogger to be playmakter and Hakan is to easily dispossesed to be used deep. In Theory Suso could be used instead of Paqueta, but as far as we seen that has not worked out well.

·
Super Moderator
13,625 Posts
One thing is clear, we have really been found out in how we want to play from defense, but we are awful at playing out from pressure. Basically any team that put good pressure on us will give us loads of trouble. This is due to several reasons.

1. We dont have players that are both good at protecting the ball AND finding passes to escape pressure. Biglia and Kessie are good at protecting the ball, but cant make those passes that relieve pressure. Hakan and Bennacer are not good at protecting the ball. Paqueta is the exception, except he sometimes overdo his ball-holding dribbles.

2. We dont have a setup were there is a player in open space to pass to. This is the only thing that is on the manager, but also the player to show themselves. Conte is almost a master at this and it is very clear for a viewer to see how players move and there is almost always someone in open space. And the team in this case know where those open players are and can "blind-pass" there.

3. We suck at counterattacks. If your team cant counter then your opponents can pressure you with no worries about what happens if the pressure fail. We barerly have counterattacks, due to few quick players and slow passing. When we finally manage a counter we blow it with some mind-boggling bad decision or bad finish. We simply dont score on counters at all.

4. We got no player that can hold on to the ball in attack. Basically a Zlatan-like that is strong and can hold it back or a quick player that is not easily dispossesed.

Here we can talk formations as much as we want, but it doesnt matter as long as we dont have a plan on how to transition from defense to attack. If we cant make the team escape pressure and then in the second step establish attacks and our own pressure. Yeah our pressure is the other sore spot, as it work very seldom. Under Gattuso it was catastrophic.

Personally i would build my team around Paqueta and make sure he get the ball and get the right alternatives. Despite his talents I would not use Suso unless we got a similar threat on the left side and a working midfield. Right now attacks go there and die. I got a few ideas on how to achieve this, but its not sure it would work with our pea-brained players. which is why I will not use some of them.

With the ball and we start an attack the team should look like this:

----------------- Goalie ------------------------
-- Duarte -------------------------- Romagnoli --
------------------ Biglia ------------------------
Calabria ---------------- Bennacer --------------
---------- Kessie ------------------------- Theo
----------------- Paqueta ----------------------
---------------- Piatek ---------- Leao ----------

Depending on where the ball is the Bennacer/Theo/Leao and Calabria/Kessie/Piatek would be higher/lower.
- Paqueta shall find space between midfield and defense of opponent and from there should have Calabria/Theo to reach on both sides and Piatek/Leao one running behind their defense and other meeting up with him for combination. He should drift towards our right if there is space there.
- Bennacer should try to meet the ball. If he is under direct pressure then Biglia/Romagnoli/Theo should be there for easy alternatives, preferably Theo, but that depends on from were he got the ball. If not under direct pressure then he should find Paqueta or Calabria.
- Kessie should run into space to open up space for teammates. Even out on our right if needed. If he get the ball he should use his strength to protect it before delivering it to an open player with a simple pass. If we established an attack he should always run into the penalty area.
- Leao should move a bit to the left side to draw a player upon himself without closing the space for Theo. If Paqueta get the ball he make a run inwards to either go forward or meet the ball. That would open up even more for Theo. If Theo get the ball he can run on the left lane.
- Piatek shall try to open space for Paqueta. Apart from that he should always be in the penalty area.

Everyone should know were their teammates are even if not looking and they should always have a minimum of three alternatives. Few teams can block away three alternatives without taking huge risks.

Hakan and Bonaventura could be used with less effect than the mentioned players. I would use Hakan instead of Paqueta and Bonaventura instead of Bennacer/Kessie. That is because Bonaventura is to much of a ball-hogger to be playmakter and Hakan is to easily dispossesed to be used deep. In Theory Suso could be used instead of Paqueta, but as far as we seen that has not worked out well.
That is a nice formation that on paper looks a lot like what Giampaolo was supposed to want. If he had done better in the way he presented himself and implemented things, we could be playing that now to good effect.

However playing a similar formation from day one but with a completely inappropriate cast was just madness. And things like deciding and publicly declaring that if he played that formation Suso was the AMC and Paqueta had to become a disciplined mezzala -- when in fact Suso may have been a decent sub for the forward position and Paqueta the starting AMC, and in any event it was a matter of trying them in games and not just deciding dogmatically. And then also deciding that the formation was the problem after trying it with those players, then trying it again a few times during only 45 minutes... It was all just really poor management.

·
Registered
24,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, looks like our 2nd master tactician need help as well. Cohesion is better, you can at least see that these guys had trained and know those purpose, to some extent, as a team. However, tweaking is still needed.

Realistically this should be our formation:

----------- Donnaroma ---------
------donkey-------Rom---------
Donkey2-------------------theo
----------Bennacer---------------
-----------------Paqueta---------
Donkey3----------------Hakan
------------------leao-----------
------------piatek---------------

Hakan and leao can interchange and roam. Donkey 3 can cross to piatek as much as he likes.

My preferred lineup though, works be a Christmas tree :

----------- Donnaroma ---------
------donkey-------Rom---------
Donkey2-------------------theo
-----Croatian Bennacer Paqueta----
----------leao--------Hakan-------
---------------piatek-------------

Unfortunately, no solution to donkey 1 & 2. Maybe if caldara is fit, he can solve donkey 1 problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts