Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Greta joke sharer
22,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I make the song selection more varied when listening to playlist/artist/song radio?

It seems like there are only maybe 50 songs in regular rotation with a surprise bonus song being thrown into the mix every 200 songs or so.

It's almost as if my own radio listening habits are weighted way too heavily in the algorithm when generating the radio playlist. So the more I listen to the playlist radio the more uniform the song selection will become.

For example I get the exact same songs regardless if I listen to the artist radio of any of the following bands Faith No More, Therapy, Pantera, Sepultura, Melvins etc. And I get the same songs if I listen to playlist radio if the playlist has songs that are even in the general vicinity of that genre.

I guess it's slightly better than their old algorithm that would throw in Song 2 by Blur once every ten songs and half of the selection would be random Rolling Stones songs. But it's still annoying.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Comrades!

·
Greta joke sharer
22,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
43,261 Posts
For example I get the exact same songs regardless if I listen to the artist radio of any of the following bands Faith No More, Therapy, Pantera, Sepultura, Melvins etc. And I get the same songs if I listen to playlist radio if the playlist has songs that are even in the general vicinity of that genre.

·
Administrator
52,185 Posts
Why listen to music and have no playlist, it makes no sense.

But also mea culpa, because I think I used Spotify since it beta phase 9 years ago, and I have no idea how their quirky radio track system works lol. Same thing with their daily mixes they give you.

Know some chick that works there, will pester her with questions next time I see her Nacka lol

·
Greta joke sharer
22,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why listen to music and have no playlist, it makes no sense.

I have playlists, but I want to use the radio function to hear similar tracks and songs/artists that I haven't heard before.

Making a playlist with songs I've never heard before would be a bit tricky.

I suppose an alternative could be trying to find other peoples' playlists instead of using radio.

But also mea culpa, because I think I used Spotify since it beta phase 9 years ago, and I have no idea how their quirky radio track system works lol. Same thing with their daily mixes they give you.
For some reason I think that all radio and daily mixes are based on your other playlists, "radio-stations" and other listening habits. So the more you listen to "radio" the more uniform all "radio-stations" that are sort of in the same genre will become. At least that's how it's been for me. It's my impression that Spotify just takes the approximate music genre combines it with your own listening habits and then chooses a bunch of songs based on that. Instead of making it more randomized.

It's pretty similar with the daily mixes, the same 50-100 songs in regular rotation with the occasional surprise song sprinkled in there.

Know some chick that works there, will pester her with questions next time I see her Nacka lol
Please do, ask her if there is a way to make radio more randomized instead of the same songs appearing every time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts