Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of Helguera as central defender alongside Hierro? I really think that he's been doing well in this position the last couple of games against Barca. Mabye, Camacho should consider him as a central defender. He seems to be more comfortable with using Puyol in a central position, but I think Puyol might be more suitable on the wing. What's everyone's opinion?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I think that it would work if he had a fast partner in the defense; and it seems that won't be this way since Hierro will be surely titular. My choice is Helguera playing in the midfield, and Hierro, Puyol, Téllez and Salgado as defenders

G

·
You gotta remember that one of Helguera's main qualities is his versatility, so he should rotate between the two positions an Puyol should move accordingly....Puyol is great in centre and wing, no problem.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I don't think Helguera is as good in the in-line D as he is as sweeper/DMC. Against Barcelona in Nou Camp, he played as a sweeper, as both Pavon and Hierro were there. He alternated being sweeper with Hierro.

with Pep gone though, Ivan remains Spain's best DMC IMO.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I think some of you are forgetting here that it is either nadal-hierro or helguera-hierro, that's the way camacho made it seem on the list. With Curro picked, it seems puyol will be forced to play RB as if he chose Salgado, we could have had Puyol in CD.

Blame Camacho, again:mad:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think Helegera doesn't like to play as a central defender.He made a lot of mistakes when he played at that position with Real this season.i prefer to see him as a def mid with some attacking duties like last season with Makelele in Real and Guardiola in National team.He has been great in that position and he has named as one of the players to win European golden ball.and with Camacho new formation 4/2/3/1,he will be great again.and about our defence i prefer

Salgado Puyol Hierro Fran

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't think Helguera was very comfortable in the CL final. It worked in the end, but it was definitely shaky. In other positions he's incredible though. One of those players you don't notice until he's not playing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ibiza,

You're right in that Helguera never is really comfortable in a central pairing. He is much better in a sweeper type role.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts