Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just his first season in the most difficult championship in the world,Hector Cuper has proved that he is no less than a world class coach by reviving Inter,taking us to serious challenge for both the Coppa UEFA and the Serie A championship,despite the failure to win,his positive impact to the club is undenieable.

However,no one is flawless,even the best like Cuper,so I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss with u guys the negative side of Cuper,what do u guys think he lacks or what mistake do u think he has made in this season?!(Note that please dont talk about the curse thing,please!)

IMO,he has brought us many things,discipline,determination,compactness and heart that like never b4!If I have to point out some probable mistake or weakness of Cuper,this is what I think...

1)Insisting on using Guly early in the season.

Well this was a mistry that no one can explain.Despite rubbish performance again and again,Guly was constanly in the starting lineup of Cuper in the first half of the season!In many times he even substitue him about 30 sommin minutes.The reason he said was he wanna balance the team more with Guly's defensive ability.However his defensive performance was not that good enough to let him start IMO without even mention his "attacking" side which was more like one more defender for our opponent!He could have gave more chance to Emre at that time which was like a vice-Guly,we all know the talent Emre has and on the left flank,he proved that even he was not that spectacular at times,but still,a lot better than Guly!

2)Failing to add more depth to our defence.

We all know that this season in several occasions,we had defensive emergency.Which a lot of times even DB or even Javier had to switch to the centre.In the mid season I think he could bought a quality back-up for the team.Cuz quite frankly,we lost quite many points due to our lack of defenders backup

3)The right wing.

This posistion was the worst performing position other than the left back this season,much thanks to Mr.Lazio,who sucked almost every single game this season.And sometimes,like Guly,Cuper insisting to use him when he obviously fail to deliver goods.I know there were some injuries to players like Okan or Dalmat which limited his choice,but it seemed that there could be other possible choice other than Conceicao.For instance he could have pushed Javier forward,to use Simic or Vivas as right back.Yes,there were times that I think he could use a better choice.

4)Too defensive?

Sometimes in the season,even we were facing some "weak" teams at home,he insisted to use the midfield duo of DB and Christiano,sometimes even with Guly and Conceicao on the wings that left us almost without any creativity in the park.As I said,at these games he could have used more Emre and Seedorf.Rather than just relying on some through balls by DB or Chirstiano or some "cross" by Guly or Conceicao.Much of the time even Kallon had to go back to get the ball.He could have be more aggressive in attack.

These are the things that I thought he could have done better,I think he knows it.I'm sure such a great coach would only do better next season.

In anyways,he is a great coach,no doubt!So,what do u guys think?!;)

GRAZIE CUPER!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
This guy did a job as thoug before him in the last few years have failed...

Regardless nor he or they won lo scudetto but with what he had available gained more than just a run for the championship...

A team....

We just need to add a wee bit more to defense and attacking mid...and we will more than just a team..

CHAMPIONS 2002/2003

·
Registered
831 Posts
1)Insisting on using Guly early in the season.

this point i can almost agree on.... its true that Emre had many fittness problems throughout the season (apart from the final two months), but at times he was fit to play and Cuper could of used him.
However, something must be said, with guly on the team we never really were in crisis, i mean most of the time the team won... its true they were ugly wins but we still got the points

all in all, with this point i dont agree with what cuper did but however, i can not say that he was wrong !

2)Failing to add more depth to our defence.

i dont think that we needed any additions ... i mean logicaly u need one sub for every player in the squad PLUS a few other players if there are too many injuries. Inter had Matrix, Cordoba, Simic and sorondo PLUS Padilino and Vivas , IMO that is enough .... look at Lazio, Roma, MIlan how many centeral defenders do they have ... probably the same, so the way i see it is that Cuper was unlucky.

i mean Simic is a good backup the same goes for Sorondo and Vivas ... i dont think that there are any teams who have much better backups apart from Juve.

IMO it was just bad luck rather than bad judgment

3)The right wing.
i think that the right wing was gonna be Okans if he did not get injured, coz he really grabed on to his chance and made it his place while conceicao was watching from the bench.
after that cuper had to chose between conceicao and seedorf, and at that time i'm sure all of u here would have gave conceicao the spot coz of seedorfs bad form . However, seedorf did get his chance later on the right wing and he did play well for a few matches, then came Dalmat who at the end got benched by conceicao for the last 3 matches or so.

apart from the last matches were conceicao took the right wing spot from Dalmat i can not disagree with cuper coz he had no other choice.

about Zanetti moving to the right wing .... well i might have done that move, but knowing what a good job he did on the right back posistion PLUS lack of backups coz of VIVAS's injury then i might have not !

so again i might have not agreed with cuper about the right wing issue, but to be honest i must say that that he had reasons to do what he did.

4) i kind of agree on this one ... when Emre and Dalmat were fit i would have used one of them. However, seedorf NO

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for replying Mohanad,this shows that u are a true Inter forum poster!:) :cool:

I agree that at many times Cuper have no choice but to do what he did,since he is such a great coach,I reckon these were the potential "mistake" he made.

Hope to hear your view again!:)

FORZA CUPER!

·
Registered
831 Posts
sorry i did'nt reply when u first opened this thread, the thing is i have been away for some time coz of exam, but now i'm back.

com'on guys what do u think about Cuper ?

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Mohaned said:
Look at Lazio, Roma, MIlan how many centeral defenders do they have ... probably the same, so the way i see it is that Cuper was unlucky.

i mean Simic is a good backup the same goes for Sorondo and Vivas ... i dont think that there are any teams who have much better backups apart from Juve.
I don't think the depth was important, but the quality of the first choice centre-backs. You mention Lazio, Roma, Milan, and Juventus. With the exception of Milan, they all have a world-class centre-half (Nesta, Samuel, and Thuram, respectively). We don't. Sure, Materazzi is a good defender - but not good enough to thwart the best strikers. Nesta, Samuel and Thuram have the ability to snuff out the Vieris, Shevchenkos, and Trezeguets or this world. IMO, Nesta is the first-choice target. No question. If we have him and Matrix in central defence, with a strong core of reserve defenders (Simic, Padalino, Vivas), then we can (No; will) win the Scudetto next year. Add the continued fitness Ronaldo, Vieri, and the availability of Recoba, the continued excellent leadership of Zanetti, and (if he stays) good performances by Seedorf, then nothing can stop us domestically.

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is my reply from another forum....now its here as well:)

I agree that Hector Cuper has made some pretty obvious mistakes this season, but first i'll take the things i disagree on.

Guly and to defensive: I think Guly was a part of the team because Cuper needed to settle the defence before working on any kind of offense. And noone can deny that he did a pretty good job defensively. Ofcourse he was frustrating to look at, but I think there was a point in playing him.

I base this thought on situations i recall with troubled teams with huge reputation. In Denmark the dominating clubs are Brondby and FCK, but FCK has not been able to make the most out of their squad before last season. Last season Roy Hodgson came there and he did exactly what Cuper did. He restored the defence and won the matches from there. Later on in the season he started playing with more offensive minded players. The exact same thing happend again this year when FCK failed in the beginning of the season. I think playing defense first is a standardsolution to big teams with problems

Defense: First Gresko who many might think whould have been replaced. I had no problem with us not buying a backup for that position at that point in time. Cuz except for a few performances Gresko was, imo, great. And he was also great in most of the time after the winterbreak. Sure we could have bought a better leftback, but it would have taken time for the other defenders to get used to this player, and in the end i think it would have cost us just as many goals as Gresko did:sad:. Also I doubt that any of the great leftbacks would have been avaliable for transfer at that point in time. Im sure Braca/Milan wouldn't have sold us Coco, and I also doubt that Ajax would have sold Chivu since they were batteling for the championship. I believe that leftback would only have been yet another faliure

As for the rest of the central defence i also believe that we should have bought atleast one backupdefender. This player didn't have to be great, it should simply have been a player who could step in when Simic, Matrix and Padalino where all injured. Instead we had to use Di Biagio. That might have cost us the championship in the end

And now for something which troubled me:

Playerselection in UEFA: This is something which really troubled me when we played UEFA-cup. Against Valencia we fielded (as far as i remember) 4 normal starters. I know we won, but the way we did it was not exactly flattering to Inter. We were no less than outplayed and that simply must never happen!!!

The argument that we needed the players fit for the serie A really troubles me! What are we going to do next year when we have qualified for champions league??? In which matches should we rest our players??? Every team in Champions League fields the best formation both in the national league and Champions League. We didn't in UEFA eventhough those matches are played rare compared to the cl-matches!!!

I basically think there was something else behind the playersselection, i don't know what but I think it was a mistake to field such a weak team against Valencia and Feyenoord!

I feel sure that we would have gotten a trophy this season if we had only played for the UEFA-cup. Ofcourse it was hard to predict wheter or not we would fail the scudetto, but still? Every other teams always fields the best possible formation, even Valencia who won La Primera Division.....

Future:
I also feel sure that Cuper will bring even more succes to the club. Now that he has made the squad work like ONE team he can start working more on positional play and offensive tactics in general.
I expect Inter to play more entertaining next year and I also expect to see an even more determined team who hunger even more for the scudetto which we will take next year:hopeful:

·
Registered
831 Posts
First of all that is a different Issue.

Then i disagree, our defence is third best in the league (better than Lazio)... our problems with the defence have occured when Materazzi and cordoba got injured Not with them two as starters.

apart from the left back position then our defence is good !

Juventus had the best defence of the season and they never used THURAM in the center .. they chose Ferrara and Luliano (since Montero was injured) and btw both are behind Materazzi in the NT picking, Also i would rate Cordoba as a better indivual than both of them .... so the way i see it it is not always about the NAMES.

Our problems with our defence were coz of the left back position and the injuries, which seem to occur in numbers at the same time !.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Mohaned said:
Then i disagree, our defence is third best in the league (better than Lazio)
That's probably because Toldo is better than Marchegiani and Peruzzi.

Mohaned said:
Juventus had the best defence of the season and they never used THURAM in the center .. they chose Ferrara and Luliano (since Montero was injured) and btw both are behind Materazzi in the NT picking, Also i would rate Cordoba as a better indivual than both of them .... so the way i see it it is not always about the NAMES.
There is a difference between NAMES, and proven ABILITY.

Mohaned said:
Our problems with our defence were coz of the left back position and the injuries, which seem to occur in numbers at the same time !
Agreed that we don't have a good enough left-back, but a centre-back that can play 34 times in the league to a good standard is a must. As for left-backs, Coco looks possibly, but, otherwise, Ashley Cole is a definitely no-go, unless Inter are willing to fork out £30m.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Agreed that we don't have a good enough left-back, but a centre-back that can play 34 times in the league to a good standard is a must. As for left-backs, Coco looks possibly, but, otherwise, Ashley Cole is a definitely no-go, unless Inter are willing to fork out £30m.
30 million POUNDS??? Are you serious? An Ashley Cole is worth 30 million POUNDS in your opinion? ROFLMAO. No offense but you're taking your loyalty to Arsenal a bit too far. Next you'll be rating world class player Ray Parlour in the 30-40 million £ category too. :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
Bastin u said "proven ABILITY", i think u missed the part where i said that Materazzi, who u think is not good enough, is better than ferrara and Luliano !
To prove that he is ahead of them in the NT picking !!

The reason why our defence was not as good as Juve's is coz our defence is new .. Matrix and Cordoba have only played together for one season, while ferrara and Luliano have been playing together for years !

Individuals dont win titles. However, they do HELP win titles !! But the teams understanding HELPS even more !!

All in all, if cuper and Moratti deside to just keep Cordoba and Matrix as the center couple then its fine with me ! :)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
come on...ashley cole is good but he isn't worth 30m pound...nobody is going to pay that much for him...carlos and candela are the best left backs in the world...but they are not worth that much...not many defenders are worth more than 20m pounds...maybe except nesta, lucio...

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Cole won't leave for less than £30m. That's because:

a) He's one of the world's best left-backs as it is.
b) He's still young - 21.
c) He's been at Arsenal all his life, and supports the Gunners.
d) We have no cover at left-back until Giovanni Van Bronckhorst gets back from injury.

He won't be sold, because he will become THE BEST in the world. Not only that, but he's Arsenal through and through, and won't considering leaving unless Arsenal forced him out.

On the subject of Ray Parlour - no, he's not worth £30-40m, that's because he's 29, he's in a position where Arsenal have plenty of back-up, and he's not getting international football. I'd accept £15m - but no less. Not that Inter are interested...

Also, Materazzi may be better than Ferrara, of that, there is no doubt, but truthfully, can you really say that he's as good as Nesta?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Bastin said:
Cole won't leave for less than ?0m. That's because:

a) He's one of the world's best left-backs as it is.
b) He's still young - 21.
c) He's been at Arsenal all his life, and supports the Gunners.
d) We have no cover at left-back until Giovanni Van Bronckhorst gets back from injury.

He won't be sold, because he will become THE BEST in the world. Not only that, but he's Arsenal through and through, and won't considering leaving unless Arsenal forced him out.

On the subject of Ray Parlour - no, he's not worth ?0-40m, that's because he's 29, he's in a position where Arsenal have plenty of back-up, and he's not getting international football. I'd accept ?5m - but no less. Not that Inter are interested...

Also, Materazzi may be better than Ferrara, of that, there is no doubt, but truthfully, can you really say that he's as good as Nesta?
carlos, lizarazu, and candela are probably the best left backs in the world...ashley cole is good but he is not as good as those guys...cole is young...but so is chivu...do u think cole is a lot better than chivu?? chivu is not even worth more than 20m pounds...let alone 30m...30m pound is a lot of money...for a defender, i think only nesta, lucio, and samuel are worth that much...and u know, they all are superstars...cole is good but not a superstar...at most, u'd only get 15m pound for selling him...but not 30m...

regarding of parlour...i think it's not about his age...it's about how good he is...even at 29, zidane and figo are worth 40+m pound... i heard sunderland want parlour and they are willing to pay 7m pound for him...take the money and run away...coz wenger won't find a better offer...

also, no one says matrerazzi is better than nesta...only maybe samuel is probably better than nesta...i m one of the people who wants to see nesta come... :D:D:D

·
Registered
831 Posts
Bastin again u r missing the point !

to answer ur Question about if Matrix is better than Nesta ?
My answer is ...... NOWAY :D Materazzi is better than Nesta IMO

Nesta is definetly Better, but that is not the point !

we were talking about lack of depth in the defence .. then u said that its our starters that are not good enough and i was just saying that u were wrong ...

However, i never said that Materazzi is better than Nesta

GO back to my post and read what i wrote and then u would know what my point was :)

btw.. about Cole, i live in england and i watch him all the time. However, even the english commentators say that he he is not TOP class when it comes to defending.... i agree with Carson on what he said about cole, but still he is young and he will be one of the best in the future but NOW i dont think so !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts