Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just enquiering a question ive been having with some friends. Has their been any Basques who have refused to join the Spanish national team?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
nobody can say no, it is in the law to say yes

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats quite extreme. So even Spaniards cant say no even if it will cause conflict with their club? or they fallout with the manager but still get picked etc?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mmmm.... They can certainly say no if they choose to. They probably shouldn't, as they shouldn't ignore it if they are called. Although I doubt any manager would force anybody to play for a team if the player doesn't want to, for whatever reasons. It just wouldn't make any sense.

And I think I'll stop right there, otherwise I might cross the very fine line of politics....

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Not that I know of, certainly not recently... perhaps in the past I don't know.

Take a recent example, Oleguer was called for Spain (a training period or something), he's a true Catalan nationalist, is making television spots for an independent Catalunya and things like that, but then he was called for Spain... he thought about it, and he went...
It's very hard to refuse, also those players are sportsmen, who want to test themself at the highest possible level...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Knoert said:
It's very hard to refuse, also those players are sportsmen, who want to test themself at the highest possible level...
...and get their pockets full, as anyone would. Now, if you say no, you're also closing many doors for the future.

Example: Herri Torrotegi, motorcycle racing. He won a race in 80cc (yes, long ago) and he made the round of honour with the ikurriña. After that nobody in Spain would sponsor him...

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
inigo said:
Example: Herri Torrotegi, motorcycle racing. He won a race in 80cc (yes, long ago) and he made the round of honour with the ikurriña. After that nobody in Spain would sponsor him...
:D :thumbsup:

No problem, I bet the Basque sponsors would? :hopefull:

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
no oleguer was never chose to go to the national selection.....he say if he was chose he will think about it but of course aragones is not a maniac to chose this guy because he is terrible.....i dont think anybody say no

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Legally, the "ley del deporte" says that a sportsman can be sanctioned until 2 years if he refuses to participate in trainings, friendlies or international tournaments with the spanish nt.

HordeZla said:
Didn't Aranburu reject a call up by the U/21's saying he would rather play friendlies for Euskadi than play for Spain?
As far as I know, "unofficially", before the U-20 WC in Nigeria that Spain ended winning several years ago, Iñaki Sáez called him to let him know he was going to be in the list for the WC and Mikel told him he prefered to play friendlies for Erreala than a WC for Spain. Sáez accepted it and didn´t call him. Mikel was at that moment between the first team and the b one, and ended playing several games in primera that season.

Then Aranburu wasn´t called for the U-21 neither for the spanish team, with Sáez as coach.

Knoert said:
:D :thumbsup:

No problem, I bet the Basque sponsors would? :hopefull:
After Torrontegi refused to take the spanish flag and waved the ikurriña when he won in Jerez he couldn´t find team for the season after, even if he was a good driver. In motos there isn´t normall one sponsor but a group of sponsors that work with the teams, and well, Ángel Nieto had/still has a lot of power there and he decided he wasn´t going to run again.

These things often depend on the people in charge, as I commented the Aranburu issue was solved in private by the player and the coach. Of course, in such a masses sport as men´s football, is more difficult for players to take the step to make it public because it would be a hell for them in all the stadiums, and also, logically, because they earn a good bunch of money and recognition from nt calls. Not only from the fa but also from their clubs that have clauses for caps. Imagine the mess if a player refuses publically to go, just watching what happened with the Del Horno & Yeste flags issue, the Riesgo & Murillo/Iraola (?) hymn issue or the Oleguer "I will think if I go" issue...

I remember I read an interview (long time ago, I´m talking about egin) to women´s football players Nerea Onaindia and Aitziber Juaristi "Tzibi" where they explained why they had refused to play for the spanish team. Truth is there wasn´t problems and they´ve played their careers without problems, as there haven´t been problems in Bilbao with Athletic players that play with the spanish NT, Iraia Iturregi or Itziar Gurrutxaga to name 2 who are very loved by the fans.

On the other hand, a basque rugby player who´s name I don´t remember now (maybe Bio knows it) decided to retire after he was sanctioned for 2 years for refusing to play for spain since he knew he was going to be sanctioned again when he returned.

There have also been problems in pilota (yes, even in a basque sport) where before the WC celebrated in Iruñea a couple of years ago there was a voting to let participate Euskadi or not, with most of the latin american associations in favour and Spain & France against. The NO won although there was a denounce made by the Venezuelan association saying Spain & France had paid several associations for their vote and helped the creation of associations with right to vote (most in the EU) that actually had not a single pilota player 'federated'.:rolleyes:

In surf there was a basque association competing on international tournaments even before there was a spanish one. When they created the spanish they prohibited basque surfers to participate under the ikurriña and after denounces and all, in the end, there are some championships where they recognize the basque association and others not, so some people only go to those, others go with different flags depending on the championship...

There has also been problems like this in other sports, for example Bio has commented here several times the ones in tug-o war.

As you see, the 'democratic' law says what it says, and then it depends on the people in charge of that particular sport the freedom and decissions taken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts