Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think people who are claiming that past greats like Maradona, Pele looked good because they played against weaker opponents are wrong. The level of football has really gone down. It was tougher playing in the 80s for example than now. The only thing present proffessionals can complain about is the number of games they play per season.

1) The balls are lighter. Even a sissy like Becks can test a keeper from as far as the center line. Still remember those hard and heavy balls from the 80s?
2) Players nowadays are protected by the refs. A fly need to just brush against guys like Deco, Inzaghi, Totti (my top three divers) for them to go flying like they were hit by a train. Past greats like Pele were constant target for abuse.
3) Players now have an advantage for use of drugs (both legal and otherwise). The great Juve of the 90s have been accused of using performance enhacing drugs.

So guys, don't try to bring past greats down by comparing them to lazy guys like Zidane because present proffessionals have it easy. Today only Ronaldo, Ronaldinho deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as past greats

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Today's players are a bit bigger, faster, and stronger than in the past though like any other pro sport, so it's hard to say which era had better footballers.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Good to have you back Calcio.....:)

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I think the technical aspect has declined a bit in preference of a more physical game.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,163 Posts
CMBurns said:
3) Players now have an advantage for use of drugs (both legal and otherwise). The great Juve of the 90s have been accused of using performance enhacing drugs.
In 70s and 80s it was far easier to use performance-enhancing drugs and get away with it. There was practically no doping tests in football back then.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Like jamal said it can only be hard to play now in the modern days due to so much talent and comp out there!!! SO i dont know about this thread

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't know if the standard has increased or not, but I am sure that if teams could play less games in a year we would see better football!

·
Registered
535 Posts
today football become more of a battle of coaches and their tactics rather then players' skills and acceleration. if the coach chooses right formation of a play then the team can beat another team without any problem.
any way, i think in ealry years like 70s and 80s the game was tougher then right now. because the tackles from behind were allowed to do and so on...

·
Registered
893 Posts
There's so much attention paid to football and so much money in it now, that people - especially young ones - obviously think that things have never been better. Maybe - but the overall standard stays at the same level as always. The fact that there hasn't been any real tactical innovation in the game since about 1972 is one reason why things aren't as great as we sometimes like to think. If football is a battle of coaches, most of them seem to have a very limited battle-plan.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
dont believe so, it will continue to grow. barca and arsneal just play some truely great football to watch.

players like ronnie, c.ronnie, henry, kaka and others are so great to watch

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
perhaps, but that's because defenders nowadays are faster and stronger so it gives less time to technical players to think on the fly.
i really would like to see a pele, eusebio, distefano, garrincha or puskas transported to play nowadays, would they still shine or just be above-average players? i suspect the pace of today's game would make it very difficult for them to do their circus tricks often.

·
Registered
472 Posts
ampersand said:
perhaps, but that's because defenders nowadays are faster and stronger so it gives less time to technical players to think on the fly.
i really would like to see a pele, eusebio, distefano, garrincha or puskas transported to play nowadays, would they still shine or just be above-average players? i suspect the pace of today's game would make it very difficult for them to do their circus tricks often.
I think pele or other former great players would have shine too. If they would play nowaday they would have a better equipement they would be technically stronger and more powerful cuz training standards has increased a lot too. You can't take Henry and compare him to pele for example that's not possible. Do you really think that if Henry ( I take him for example) had played 40 years ago he would play in the same way?

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
1) The balls are lighter. Even a sissy like Becks can test a keeper from as far as the center line. Still remember those hard and heavy balls from the 80s?
2) Players nowadays are protected by the refs. A fly need to just brush against guys like Deco, Inzaghi, Totti (my top three divers) for them to go flying like they were hit by a train. Past greats like Pele were constant target for abuse.
it's called technology :D

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
il_capitano said:
I think pele or other former great players would have shine too. If they would play nowaday they would have a better equipement they would be technically stronger and more powerful cuz training standards has increased a lot too. You can't take Henry and compare him to pele for example that's not possible. Do you really think that if Henry ( I take him for example) had played 40 years ago he would play in the same way?
yeah you can really compare him to Pele simply because Pele was a complete player. You can´t even compare him to Romario, much less to the likes of Pele.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Why does people always take forwards as examples? There are defenders too you know.

I just want to say that Puyol/Nesta seem to be the last "supreme" defenders. All the rest are plain average compared to in the mid-90s. Especially in Serie A, there are hardly any defender worth beeing a "new Nesta/Maldini"

·
Registered
472 Posts
Liternit said:
yeah you can really compare him to Pele simply because Pele was a complete player. You can´t even compare him to Romario, much less to the likes of Pele.
I took the best soccer player from the past becuz I think that If they would be on a pitch right now Henry would be better but I just said that you can't do that becuz of technology.
Pele was a magician at his time but nowadays he would be only good I think, but if he had had the possibilities players have now, well than he yould be 5 times better than ronaldinho!

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Football is less technical, more tactical, whether this is good or bad is depatable but I for one would prefer to see more technical than tactical.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
It's more tactical in the sense that coaches find ways to kill the game and the opponnents talent using bunker-defense and pressure that sometimes makes the game look like Graeco-Roman wrestling. Of course there is no tactical innovation there, bunker defense (catenaccio, etc.) has been around for a long time.

I think it's because there is so much pressure on coaches nowadays, because there is so much money in the game. For example I liked the last two games I watched Lecce play, even if they are minnows they play more open, they attack, sure the scoreline is high and obviously they lose against stronger teams, but at least they are entertaining. If you don't have the players to win championships, at least entertain the crowd, that's what I'd like to see.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ampersand said:
CIRCUS TRICKS!? Three of the players you've listed were probably the most rational and expedient footballers we've ever seen, who served the team completely. Garrincha was the only one guilty of self-indulgence and there was ultimately purpose to his "trickery". The ball is always round and the goals never move. Inherent ability and mental strength would always come through.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts