Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Objective question to both Juve fans and neutrals:

Do you think the current Juve have peaked from both individual player and also tactical perspectives?

Personally I think unless they add major enforcements with world class quality it is hard to progress any further. The fact is that many of their top performers are now on the wrong side of 30 and not getting younger. Pirlo showed some decline this season mainly at the end, and I think it will not get any better for him considering he has no rest this summer. He is still quality but will his body be able to perform on top level for a whole season and especially in Europe? Barzagli who has been their best defender for long stretches during the past few years seem to finally have expired. Buffon has been on slow decline for some time now but he is still quality. Tevez is already 30 and it will be interesting to see for how long he can keep it up.

More importantly is the question about Conte's ability to re motivate the team and invent new tactics. He has been more or less very rigid with his 352 that proved to be a big failure in Europe. Would be interesting to see if he can come up with a more flexible tactical approach, or whether he would be content with not messing with something he clearly thinks is not broken.

Or maybe it is all wishful thinking on my part. They most likely can still sustain the same level and still win Serie A with ease but I doubt that will be their main objective next season.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
you can say the same about roma. totti, maicon, de sanctis, de rossi, balzaretti are all old. strootman and pjanic will most likely be sold.

just wishful thinking on your part gameover. or, delusions of grandeur. probably both. lol

·
10'un Adi Lefter
8,620 Posts
I think so as well. I think they can win Serie A or at least challenge for the top two in the next few seasons, but I believe Conte must change now. I think the 352 can work in Serie A, but he must introduce a 433/442 for Europe. The spine is still very strong. I don't think they need to add MAJOR reinforcements. I think they need to get the best left back and two attacking midfielders/forwards available and move Asamoah to the center.

Something like this

Buffon
Storari

Lichtsteiner - Bonucci - Chiellini - ??????
Isla - Barzagli - Ogbonna - Caceras

Pogba - Pirlo - Vidal
Marchisio - Asamoah - Padoin

????? - Llorente - Tevez
????? - Osvaldo - Giovinco/Vucinic

I think Conte should eventually start rotating Pirlo out of the squad and play something like this

Asamoah - Vidal
Pogba
????? - Llorente - Tevez

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
The fact is that many of their top performers are now on the wrong side of 30
3. If 3 is many, ok. You have De Rossi, Totti, , De Sanctis, Maicon.
But it's true that keeping the same motivation 4 seasons in a row is hard, so i wont be surprise if someone else win the title next year, if have to bet, my money would be on Napoli. or maybe Inter prove their project is for real by making some ambitious and smart investments?

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Juventus is most likely to win next season. There is a bigger question whether they will in 2-3 years from now.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Assuming Juve have more or less the same squad come september 1st, I think that Juve will be a title contender and definitivly top3. I don't think that we will beat records as we have this season though, that kind of motivation is near impossible when you've won 3 consecutive scudetto's (scudetti's?).

Assuming we do make some big or semi big changes to the team, we'll be very tough to beat next year and the other teams will need great strenghtening to compete with us. I'm talking something like selling Pogba - signing Sanchez, Coentrao and Immobile and moving Asamoah centrally. Kick ass team!

·
Registered
45,352 Posts
GO, this thread looks more like a wish indeed. :D
Roma have a much bigger problem with the replacement of Totti, who is almost 38, than Juventus with the replacement of Pirlo who is 35. Basically Roma have to replace Totti now.

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
Next season i think we will sacrifice more in the league in order to try and achieve in the CL, it only makes sense after 3 straight Scudetti.

It will be between Napoli and Roma for the title, unless Roma sell their stars all over again.

I think Napoli will come out very strong.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Difficult to say Juve have peaked when they are going to win the league with 100 points. Also they co-own so many good players they can bring any in form player of Serie A back and are 1 of the few teams who can attract current good players from outside of the league.

All that said I do find Pirlo has been the main reason alongside Conte for this past 3 seasons. Both of them have been the main constant in getting Juve back to the top of their game. Replacing Pirlo effectively will be key, especially as they will probably not hold on to Pogba for so long too. They can do this though and I think Conte can change his scheme in the process and keep Juve at the top.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
3. If 3 is many, ok. You have De Rossi, Totti, , De Sanctis, Maicon.
This is not a Juve vs Roma thread. And i don't intend to make it so.

But again: Chiellini is 30 on August, Lichtsteiner is already 30, so is Tevez, Peluso, Padoin and both Vucinic and Quag if they stay. Plus the obvious 3: Pirlo, Buffon and Barzagli. And you can throw in Storari, Rubinho and Pepe on top although admittedly they are useless anyways.

13 out of 24 squad.

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
Definitely peaked, both in serie a and europe. This is as good as this side can get.

Should still be plenty to easily win the scudetto for the next 2 seasons with only minor signings though. Unless their crackpipe dream of selling pigba for a ridiculous sum comes true then i doubt they will improve.

They might perform even worse in europe next season though. They have quite alot hacks in the squad who seemingly have no clue/arent good enough to perform against non-serie a teams and no real players who are likely to improve alot, combined with Cunte's 352 horseshit formation it could be another group stage exit.

·
Registered
45,352 Posts
But again: Chiellini is 30 on August, Lichtsteiner is already 30, so is Tevez, Peluso, Padoin and both Vucinic and Quag if they stay. Plus the obvious 3: Pirlo, Buffon and Barzagli. And you can throw in Storari, Rubinho and Pepe on top although admittedly they are useless anyways.

13 out of 24 squad.
Being 30 yo is not that much, as long there aren't too many players who are 30 yo, but that doesn't really look like the problem of Juventus since out of those 13 players at least 5 are useless/easily replaced and 3 are goalies. The real problem of Juventus is increasing the overall quality of the team so that it can challenge the best European clubs.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I personally think the two main issues are the dependence on Pirlo who is still good but clearly declining and Conte ability to evolve. The squad age is a factor but it probably won't have major effect over next season.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Peaked or not, they will win the Scudetto for at leas the other two seasons.

With respect to Champions League, like Conte admitted himself they have still way to go as they can`t compete with other European top-guns.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Isn't Tevez leaving?
Juve were so much better than most of the other clubs this season, it's hard to see that wide of a gap closed in a season's time. The club needs a Sabatini-type of scout to find a new generation of players. The ones they have still have a championship or two in them, but a lot will depend on not only their mercato, but Roma's, Napoli's, Inter's, etc. I envision a tighter scudetto race, but Juve still has the money, players, the refs and the tradition. Roma will have to compete in the CL, too, next season.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
marotta's better than loser sabatini. he got pogba for free, enough said.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Can't argue with Marotta's successful history, but getting quality players on a free is a hugely overvalued 'skill'.

Almost all clubs in the world wanted Pogba and Llorente on a free, Marotta didn't find an undervalued gem. Juve got him because of the wages they could offer, the clout that the club has, the possibility of winning, playing time and development, etc.

For instance, if Marotta was in charge of Chievo's xfer market, he closes on neither of those players. (No offense meant, Chievo supporters, just a random non-wealthy club that came to mind.)

·
Registered
16,825 Posts
I like this thread idea. Basically the problem for me is that the necessary switch to a 4-man defence formation will expose Juve's lack of LB, competent starting CBs, and lack of wing forwards. All in one summer, it is difficult to fix all these areas.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
marotta's better than loser sabatini. he got pogba for free, enough said.
You seem to hate Roma more than Juventus, which is probably quite strange for a Milan fan. However, I understand why you are butthurt about things at the moment.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts