Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it looks like FR has found an standard system after his constant changes in personnel and tactical system. I don't know if he will stick to it the moment we lose two games in a row though.
With the arrival of Davids plus the adding of a third midfielder the team has gained defensive consistency. It has also allowed Xavi to push forward and play in a position that suits him best, where he doesn't need to do much defensive work and where his touches can become assists and not mere passes.

We are playing with a sort of 4-1-2-3-1 system and many of the players used look like the ones who are going to play most of the games if they don't get injured or suspended. There are some positions where the first choice player is not yet clear.

-----------------------Valdes---------------------

Reiziger(Gabri?)-----Marquez---Puyol---VB

-----------------------Cocu-----------------------

-----------------------------------Davids---------

-----------------Xavi------------------------------

Luis Garcia (Overmars?)--------Ronaldinho

--------------------Saviola/Kluivert--------------

At the moment we have Gabri, Kluivert and Overmars injured, just the players that may make three of the current first choices go to the bench. Kluivert is likely to be preferred over Saviola, and Gabri and Overmars may take the positions of Reiziger and Luis Garcia.

Withing this system Oleguer can take any of the center back positions, Oscar Lopez may play as full back perferibly on the left side. Motta could play in Cocu position or Davids. The same applies to Gerard. Iniesta is a clear substitute of Xavi although he may get a chance playing on a wing. Sergio Garcia is the substitute center forward, and Quaresma can play in either flank.

What do you think guys of this system? Is it what Barcelona requires at present? Is it a system for the future? Its outlook it is quiet defensive IMO.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
According to elmundo they saw a 3-4-3 in the match against Osasuna, so i dont know if Rijkaard has found any tactical stability.

However theres no coincidence in the results and the arrival of Davids. Hes added what the defensive midfielders of barca has always missed- workrate. With his constant tackling and never stopping to run hes given Xavi the chance to advance and play the best football he has with the A team, along with the first few games under Antic.

The system IMO isnt too bad, I mean it must mean something if without a natural goalgetter it has brought us to 13 points out of 15. I think that Rijkaard will still be here next season and the reason for this is the projected summer campaign of getting a poacher. For this reason I think this system is excellent if we had someone like Makaay which we presumebly will have next season. In case of that this system will be even more efficient.

Ive heard tha Cocu and Xavi have injuries. If this persist to next weekend then it is likely that Iniesta and Motta will take there places. In that case i feel the system will work better as Motta will be more competent defensively and Iniesta more creative (though on Xavi form its very debatable)

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's about time there was some stability in the formation that Barca play. It's got to be very difficult for the players when they're constantly changing system, even the top players. Football has a lot to do with stability, it's a very under-estimated factor to success in my opinion.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Angel_Culé said:
-----------------------Valdes---------------------

Reiziger(Gabri?)-----Marquez---Puyol---VB

-----------------------Cocu-----------------------

-----------------------------------Davids---------

-----------------Xavi------------------------------

Luis Garcia (Overmars?)--------Ronaldinho

--------------------Saviola/Kluivert--------------
What was interesting is that it was drawn that way as they showed the line up on tv, but they did not really play that way for most of the game.

Reizeger stayed in the right back for only five minutes and changed towards the left for about 30 minutes or so. Puyol started to make runs in the right side for a long part of the game. As Maz said, it looked lke a 3-4-3 but it changed throught the game, constantly.

What has really helped the team is Davids, he wins his share of balls and fouls smartly, stopping dangerous attacks. When FCB was in toruble, you could see that Davids either had been beaten or had trouble tracking back. The difference between Davids and Motta or Gerard and even Xavi when he plays there are inmense. Davids also takes the ball forward much more that those three combined when playing in the middle.

Xavi was outstanding yesterday, nice forward vision and string holding the ball.

I think that Rijkaard will continue and change, he probably finds that an adavantage of his coaching tactics.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
With the signing of a world class striker, the system Rijkaard has used lately could have the potential to be an excellent one. I think that if we get one "crack" per season (eg. Henry), then we will slowly start to see Barcelona back to where they belong :)

But over the next few crucial games, I think we'll get a far more clearer picture of what Rijkaard is intending on using for the rest of the season.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Angel_Culé said:

What do you think guys of this system? Is it what Barcelona requires at present? Is it a system for the future? Its outlook it is quiet defensive IMO.
It can be more defensive, but it's giving results: 2 goals in the last 5 matches in Liga and 13 points of the last 15 played. We wanted results and we have them.

I think that this system gives more stability to the team. Cocu is definitely a great midfielder and a bad defender, Davids is playing each time better and he gives a good balance to the team. Xavi is playing his best football (I still think Iniesta is better). The midfield is the key of this team. Everything looks to be in its right place, when there's someone injured, the changes seem to be more logical than before.

Perhaps it's not the idea we have for the future of this team... but before having a dream team, I want to win. Let's see, still we have Atlético, Valencia and Depor.

·
Registered
565 Posts
What Barcelona should really be thinking for next season is how are they going to keep or replace a player like Davids.

Seriously people, Barcelona's game has improved alot since he came. He is one the most (if not the best) defensive midfielders in the world. If we look at the market, which players can replace a man like this??

Post your suggestions please.

JC

·
40,147 Posts
CampNou said:
What Barcelona should really be thinking for next season is how are they going to keep or replace a player like Davids.

Seriously people, Barcelona's game has improved alot since he came. He is one the most (if not the best) defensive midfielders in the world. If we look at the market, which players can replace a man like this??

I wish Davids can continue... but if not, Emerson (Roma) is a really good player, but I don't know if it could be a reasonable option.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Angel its too early to say, maybe after those hard games in the next couple weeks we will know for sure!

Last game he played Ronaldinho more in his true position and opted to play with only one winger, Luis Garcia, plus Davids was crucial aquisition to sort your defence problems while playing with wingers.

I think the player that needs to go is Luis Garcia, he could make Ronaldinho play more to the right (not as a winger, but with freedom to drop to the wing and go to the box aswell) and let Overmars be the only true winger. He might not be young enough to play 90min, but it sure beats having Luis Garcia.

I think the good thing so far is that he is not pushing to play with 2 wingers, I think it gave the team a little more balance because of that.

In the future I would like to see Ronaldinho play sort like Raul´s position in RM. Close to a great striker!

Koeman4 said:
I wish Davids can continue... but if not, Emerson (Roma) is a really good player, but I don't know if it could be a reasonable option.
Emerson is too old and always prone to injuries. If you want a good brasilian DM and you are willing to risk a bit you should look for a guy named Dudu Cearence or may I suggest (with the risk of getting booed) Rochemback.

He has controlled a bit of his stupidity but does make a bad move costing him yellow cards. But he has great skills and can tackle very well! If you can check him out in the portuguese league do it ;)

Dudu Cearence just went to Japan, so he would probably cost so little that even if he bombed (which I doubt) it would not be a huge loss.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Maz said:
According to elmundo they saw a 3-4-3 in the match against Osasuna, so i dont know if Rijkaard has found any tactical stability.
4-3?

Ronaldinho played a lot like a creative mid, he went a couple of time inside the box, but then so did Xavi. Edgard was doing a great job stealling the balls and Ronaldinho was feeding Luis Garcia and Saviola and always going foward to help the attack. But usually he started the plays from the mid and then moved close to the box.

It was Saviola with Luis Garcia on the wing, how that would translate on a formation I don´t have a clue.

·
40,147 Posts
Liternit said:
Emerson is too old and always prone to injuries. If you want a good brasilian DM and you are willing to risk a bit you should look for a guy named Dudu Cearence or may I suggest (with the risk of getting booed) Rochemback.
:dazed: ... I'll have to take the pills again... don't mention his name, please. :dazed: :rolleyes: :D

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
É think that an in-form Davids(he seems to be finding his one doesn't he) can only be replaced by Vieira.Lots of excellent DM out there but none of his level.I am optimistic that we'll keep him,i think he wants to stay here,he likes Barça and he made it clear since the beginning.

I mean if we get CL football next year and we offer him a reasonable contract,i can't see why he would prefer Roma or Inter.

As for the topic.I think its a nice formation,even if i didn't results say so and all we want is to make CL football this year.We might not be an ultra offensive team but i prefer this that seeing Malaga scoring five fukin goals on counter attacks.

As Liternit said about Luis Garcia i'd like to see

----------------------------VV-------------------------

---Reiziger------Marquez---Puyol----------VB---

----------------------Cocu/Motta---------------

----------------------------------------Davids-----------

-------------------Iniesta/Xavi---------

------------Ronnie--------------------------Overmars

-------------------------Kluivert---------------------

I think Luis Garcia should definitely not playing as a starter.Make it on the right or left i think he's crap anyways.Now i might unfair to Saviola but i just cvan't stand the idea of him playing as a lone striker.Besides Kluivert's been great in the last Liga matches.Furthermore i would count on more on Motta and Iniesta than Xavi and Cocu.Both very good but these kids are the future and we should try bring Motta to his prior form,we're very lucky to have him on our squad on that age.For the right back i think Reiziger is definitely better than Gabri both defensively and offensively(perhaps not on the first) .He's a mentality player,if his moralle is high he's great he can be a nightmare when low but this is not the matter this season

Imagine this formation with two new fullbacks next season or with Trabelsi and Lopez/Navarro on the left and a player like Henry on Overmar's place.That would be something huh:fero:

·
Registered
417 Posts
CampNou said:

Post your suggestions please.

JC
Lets hope he will stay :star: He told that Barca will be his first option he will discuss after season. So probably he will stay here. I dont believe that Laporta will let him go...

Davids is a great footballer on his position, and i would say he is meant to play in Barca! Emerson - no, his injures and age... Vieira - yes but he is loved in London and he wont go, but if so we dont have money to sign him. We need world class stricker not DM.

·
Registered
417 Posts
spAd! said:

Imagine this formation with two new fullbacks next season or with Trabelsi and Lopez/Navarro on the left and a player like Henry on Overmar's place.That would be something huh:fero:
Sounds great ;)

I dont hide that i dont like this tactics, its too defensive to me. But now more important are results not beautiful game, and i would be grateful for points now not for magic play. We must win to go to next CL. And this tactic might be good for it. I also would like to see Iniesta and Motta instead of Cocu and Xavi. Cocu after season will probably go away, so its time to play with Motta regulary. Iniesta has shown that he s got great potential and in offensive he is much better from 'still young successor of Pep'.... It is time play something different, because last years has shown us that something is bad. Is it tactics? We will see, next 3 games will show us what could we count on.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Luis Garcia should not start. Maybe when Overmars if fit or Iniesta could replace him. Davids should be made permanent :). The rest seems to be working at the moment so why disturb something that is working. Our first requirement was a working system and we have one which is giving points, though the big test comes in the next three matches. New tactics only after the 4th spot is secured. Though i agree that we can be more offensive, start with two strikers but that will not be the case this season .

·
Registered
69 Posts
rijkaard has a full squad now and ill really judge him the next 3 games
he played good tactics in osasuna but the next 3 games will show us what he is capable of
i have a feeling we will win it riazor:tongue: ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
dont forget guys
weve won in EL SADAR
we havent won there in 3 years,and this osasuna side is really strong
much better than last 3 seasons
so probably when he said before "with davids,we would be contenders" is correct:D

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Liternit said:
Last game he played Ronaldinho more in his true position and opted to play with only one winger, Luis Garcia,
Ronaldinho himself said after the game that he had absolute freedom of movement and the he was deciding when to move to the left wne when to stay in the middle.

The 4-3 was not to obviuos and it was heppening for about 10 minutes before the subs. Ronaldinho was playing almost entirely on the left, Saviola in the middle and Luis Garcia on the right. Hardly any of them were coming back to defend. A huge exageration by the newspaper to say that the team played a 3-4-3.

The biggest and most interesting dynamic wa happening at the back. The shuffling between Puyol and Reziger was constant.

I would like to continue and see Ronaldinho with the freedom of movement.

Changes will have to come as Cocu is hurt for two weeks.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
barça said:
Ronaldinho himself said after the game that he had absolute freedom of movement and the he was deciding when to move to the left wne when to stay in the middle.

The 4-3 was not to obviuos and it was heppening for about 10 minutes before the subs. Ronaldinho was playing almost entirely on the left, Saviola in the middle and Luis Garcia on the right. Hardly any of them were coming back to defend. A huge exageration by the newspaper to say that the team played a 3-4-3.

The biggest and most interesting dynamic wa happening at the back. The shuffling between Puyol and Reziger was constant.

I would like to continue and see Ronaldinho with the freedom of movement.

Changes will have to come as Cocu is hurt for two weeks.
I agree, none came back to defend! But at least Ronaldinho was not played like winger. Like you said he had the option to move where he wanted and sometimes played on the mid, not to defend, and would drop to the left.

And what do you mean shuffling between Puyol and Reziger? Puyol going to the mid right and Reiziger staying with Marques/Bronk to form a 3 man defence?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts