Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since wc2002 we have seen all attacking/positive teams humiliated in any major tournament you can think of. The winners of the past few years are not going to do football any justice by attracting new fans.
ucl 2003 - Milan(too defensive for neutral fans to like).
ucl 2004 - Porto(all the negative terms you can think of: defensive, dirty, diving..)
euro 2004 - Greece(just plain defensive)

This year Man U, Arsenal, Real, Barca are all out. Juve, Milan, Chelsea, Bayern, Liverpool are the main challengers for the title :dazed: :eekani: . All of those teams will be happy to protect even a 0-0 scoreline as long as the opponent don't score.

Football is surely dying. Let's just hope we don't get to see a repeat of the 2003ucl final. The only offensive team that is doing well is Brazil national team. But even them might get knocked out by some tiny team in the next world cup because teams have now found out a way to win games(just look at Bolton). Thanks Morinho and Italian football for corrupting our sport :thmbdown: .

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
papa said:
ucl 2003 - Milan(too defensive for neutral fans to like).

----

Thanks Morinho and Italian football for corrupting our sport :thmbdown: .
it's recommended that you watch sides play before commenting on their style.

it's also recommended that you say where you come from, or at least mention the sides you support before insulting Italian teams or even Mourinho.

that is of course, if you actually want a proper discussion on this topic, which has already been done before in any case.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Its all the fault of the English Premier League, ban the EPL and the problem will disappear.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Well, attacking football will never die. If it ever dies, both Brazil and Holland won't be rated so highly nowadays. While the only positive effect of defensive and static football is giving a victory, attacking football tactics offered more positively like attracted new fans to the sport beside giving victory as well. What I mean is, when you playing good football but you lose, people will still be proud of your team. But when you play defensive and lose at the same time, you'll earn no respect.

IMHO, defensive tactic is not the ultimate tactic in football, it is 'Total Football'.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i wouldnt say its taken over. i think at the end of the day, teams must be balanced. Milan back in 2003 had a great CL tournament, lets not forget the scorelines of 4-0 twice against Bayern and other games where Inzaghi was scoring like it was going out of fashion. but their defensce was a rock as well.

And even today, you dont win games if you cant defend well. you need to have the best of both worlds. And of course if you only have attacking qualities, its more common the defensive team will win because they can hold their own and maybe get away with a late goal or so..eg. juve this CL season.

I dont like ultra defensive tactics but at the end of the day, if the teams playing as such are winning, IMO the other teams need to think about both aspects of the game.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Haha, I was waiting for another topic like this to come up. First of all, how will banning EPL clubs do anything? :irritate: Secondly, I hate to break it to you but some teams prefer to actually balance out and play to their strengths. All those teams you mentioned as being main contenders are built on excellent defending. You obviously cannot appreciate actual tactics being displayed and like to see super high-scoring games where the object is just to outscore the opponent. And what has a neutral fan liking a team got to do with anything, I mean it's not as if the team gives a flying ****. You blame Mourinho and Italian football for ruining football when in actual fact you probably hate seeing anything other than a 6-4 scoreline in every game. Here's a newsflash man: THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO WIN BESIDES OUTSCORING THE OPPONENT. You also seem horribly confused in just associating goals with positive football instead of an unbalanced team. You know not every team has the luxury of fielding attackers like Brazil constantly can.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vagabondo said:
it's recommended that you watch sides play before commenting on their style.
:rolleyes:
it's also recommended that you say where you come from, or at least mention the sides you support before insulting Italian teams or even Mourinho.
Where I come from? Now I need a passport to post in XT? :rolleyes: Teams I support! Atleast just know that I don't support defensive teams.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
J_Reyes#9 said:
Haha, I was waiting for another topic like this to come up. First of all, how will banning EPL clubs do anything? :irritate: Secondly, I hate to break it to you but some teams prefer to actually balance out and play to their strengths. All those teams you mentioned as being main contenders are built on excellent defending. You obviously cannot appreciate actual tactics being displayed and like to see super high-scoring games where the object is just to outscore the opponent. And what has a neutral fan liking a team got to do with anything, I mean it's not as if the team gives a flying ****. You blame Mourinho and Italian football for ruining football when in actual fact you probably hate seeing anything other than a 6-4 scoreline in every game. Here's a newsflash man: THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO WIN BESIDES OUTSCORING THE OPPONENT. You also seem horribly confused in just associating goals with positive football instead of an unbalanced team. You know not every team has the luxury of fielding attackers like Brazil constantly can.
Good post. :thumbsup:

People have a general misconception that scoring a load of goals in every match = good team.

Is Lecce a good team? They score loads of goals in every match, but for every 4 goals they put past their opponents, they let in 5. It's a joy to watch goals just flying in as a neutral, but at the same time you wonder why you're paying so much money to watch a bunch of tactical idiots having a go at each other and not watching their backs. I only know of one other club that plays like that - my local Sunday pub team. And they have never charged me for watching or attending their 5-5 matches.

The pinnacle of watching football is the privilege of watching a professionally run team win matches by achieving a beautiful balance. I want to see a good side play attractive attacking football, but at the same time I also want to see defensive strength, expert execution of the offside trap, tactical substitutions to confuse the opposition, and the whole works. That's what professional football should be all about. People tend to neglect the beauty of defence in football. Maldini and Baresi are as much of a football artist as Ruud van Nistelrooy and Romario.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
J_Reyes#9 said:
Here's a newsflash man: THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO WIN BESIDES OUTSCORING THE OPPONENT.
No there isn't :pp how else do you get three points by not scoring more than the opponent? :howler:

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
khimik said:
No there isn't :pp how else do you get three points by not scoring more than the opponent? :howler:
You could theoretically win the World Cup by not scoring a single goal in regulation time.. :howler: draw all 3 group matches without scoring then shootout all the way en route to lifting the Cup? :googly:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
You could theoretically win the World Cup by not scoring a single goal in regulation time.. :howler: draw all 3 group matches without scoring then shootout all the way en route to lifting the Cup? :googly:
Well I suppose that's possible in a cup competition, but not in a league. If you draw every game in England you'll probably get relegated. If you do it in Italy you'll finish third (see: Milan FC, Inter) :D

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
khimik said:
If you do it in Italy you'll finish third (see: Milan FC, Inter) :D
Just look at Inter.. if they had won half of the matches they drew they would have been 2 points clear of both Milan and Juve by now. :wallbang:

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
Just look at Inter.. if they had won half of the matches they drew they would have been 2 points clear of both Milan and Juve by now. :wallbang:

Wow. Did you actually do that calculation yourself :D?

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
So a team gets criticised for wanting to be balanced. Teams which play 6 men in attack will not win anymore. Even Brazil understood in WC 2002 that you need at least 2 DM's to be succesful. Its not about defending, its about being balanced. Milan are much better attacking side than Man Utd even if they sometimes seem defensive because of their 1-0 scorelines. Juve are defensive, but then it was their physical and attacking abaility which defeated the 'attack-minded' Real.

Winning 1-0 is not defensive, football is a hard game to score in and the only ball sport where an opponent always uses their feet (well some may say Rugby Union does this :D ) sometimes teams only win 1-0 because the team they play against defends well also.

When a match finished 0-0... it is a textbook match. Juve v Milan the UCL final of 2003 was atextbook match, 2 teams attacked well, but 2 teams who were just as even as each other so they cancelled each other out. They didnt defend, the amount of shots and chances show this, but defences are strong.

To win things you need to be balanced, but not defensive... especially league competitions anyway.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Yes Khimik that was smart but on the same token Inter have also won 10/11 games which gives them an extra 20 points than if they were to draw....

Anyway the Italian league had something like only 2% more draws last season than in England and this year it will be more but just because Inter either score or concede in the last minute so much.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
don't worry, we have just had a blip this year, next year you will see a great side to watch win things again. :proud:

btw Milan are good to watch, Chavski are when they have Robben also.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Well its not as if Arsenal have ever won the European cup anyway :rolleyes: Wait, they havent even got past the quarters :rolleyes:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Deano said:
Well its not as if Arsenal have ever won the European cup anyway :rolleyes: Wait, they havent even got past the quarters :rolleyes:
we are just growing again mate, we were the best team in the world in the 1930s and are building up again. :shades:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Deano said:
I didn't know that was the determining factor in how entertaining a team is. The Arsenal are always good to watch, even when we're playing like cack.

:proud:

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
So you were good to watch in Munich then?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts