Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The One and Only
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spain can be the team to stun the World.

Fernando Morientes, Raul, Diego Tristan

are more than evough talent up front. they need to keep things working thats all. I think tha problem is only that the fall a sleep for little periods during the game thats it.

Their mid field is full of experiance and can control games.
mendieta will be the key roll there.

Defence is there most of the time if they keep organised an keep thous evil forwards like.(Vieri, LOPEZ, Crespo, Ronaldo, ECT)
OFF THE BOARD.

in GOAL
they got two capable goalies
in Canizare, Casillas witch hell pick ____??? good question
but i dont think Molina will get into action but hell go 4 the ride.

They are a top 6 team 4 sure, but can they last till the end???

IN MY BOOKS THEY WILL GO FAR
AT LEAST A QUARTER FINAL app at the least.

remember its all in your head.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The talent is obviously there. but until they can demostrate that they can walk the walk, there won't be many people in that bandwagon:D

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
There's no dout that the team has talent, but Raul and Morientes have been playing bad in their last couple of games for their club. Hopefully they can turn it around. But Spain should atleast make it to the quarters.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Spain has the quality to win the World Cup and I don't think people forgot about it, it's just that it looks like there are only 2 or 3 candidates (France, Argentina and Brazil):)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
There's no doubt Spain have a talented squad and certianly could challenge the favourites, however, i seem to remeber saying something very similar before the previous world cup. For some reason, it would seem Spain always underperform in the big tournaments.

They are in one of the easier groups so they should make the second round at a canter, but they could face a tricky tie in the second round against the runnners up of group E, possibly Germany or Cameroon.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I agree ForçaMadeirense, we shouldn't forget Spain. They do have a squad packed with talent. But, as some of pointed out they really need to step it up during the big matches. I definately see them coming thorugh the first round. But, the real test will be the second round. Do I want them to win the WC? yes, most definately more than anything... Do I think they will win? If they play like they are capable of playing and not fall asleep sometimes, as you pointed out, they could win the WC. By the way good luck to Portugal! They look like serious contenders. I will definately be cheering for Portugal, if Spain gets knocked out.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Spain is, may be, the most talented squad in the world and all their players play in the best league in the world, La Liga, so definately a potential winner... But can they stick together as a team?

I hope they do well, it is by far one of the most exciting NT to watch...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have no doubt that Spain has the potential to win it all....they have the talent...they just need to come together as a family...

being a football nut...i want to see Spain's "A" game, as i want to see every team's "A" game.....it is only to our benefit, witnessing the most exciting games possible....just think......a fantastic Spain playing an exciting Germany, Camaroon or Ireland in the second round...fantastic....(remember Ireland knocked off Holland and almost came in first in qualifying) ...there's nothing better than watching the highest level of football during the world cup...

so it will not surprise me to see Raul holding the gold, just as it would not surprise to see Ronaldo, Crespo, Totti, Zidane and of course Figo....as all these teams have the ability to win...

Good luck to Spain and all other nations....may the best nation win...

(hopefully that's Portugal ;) )

·
Registered
150 Posts
Didnt people said so before!!!!

Didnt people said so before

WC94
Euro 96
WC98
Euro 2000
and now WC 2002
when will all these so called experts grow up all these years have had predictions that Spain will win the cup.

i better see that first before i belive it.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
españa has a good team, with great players, but still one step behind the big boys. not so many names as brazil, france or argentina. anyway, names dont make a great team, just ask brazilians about this. maybe, hierro was right, when he said spanish players dont care about NT like the ones of other countries do.
for sure, raul and tristan should make one of the best attacking duos, and with players like tristan and gaizka mendieta( but the old mendieta not the lazios one ) behind them you can be a threat to any team.
but your defense is not a solid one. puyol is great but i dont rate hierro as good as he used to be anymore. then salgado is just good and in the left..., u gotta have comething better than sergi barjuan, please.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Spain have loads of wonderful players but just look at their coach:(. I don't think there is something Spain could do at the WC with sloppy defenders Curro Torres, Nadal and Hierro along with the great talent Puyol. Too easy for world class attackers. But it isn't like Spain haven't got world class younger defenders, they do! Take César Martin, Pavón, Fernando Niño for example and put one of them next to the experienced Hierro in DC. And Salgado instead of Curro Torres... that would make a good WC team.

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
I think Spain are a great side and play good football. I think they just freeze on the big stage but they certainly did not freeze in the game against Yugo at Euro 2000. It was one of the best international games ever and had everything.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Look, I have had to deal 15 years of my life listening to people go on and on about Spain. Personally, my opinion will always be the same; one day, we will come from behind and do you (the crictics) so hard up ur a$$ that you will feel it tapping your teeth. That day still hasn't come, but I will never ever ever give up hope.

There is no doubt about the talent, I think there are sevaral reasons for failure. First off, it all starts with the attitude. I think the best thing to do is a foreign coach for 2004. We need to have someone with a view from outside of Spain, who isn't from a particular region, who doesn't know anything about politics to be there. Who this will be I don't know, but I'm sure it would have a difference in the team, and hopefully show that on the field. Another thing that doesn't help is our base of players. I respect Camacho's opinion to chose only in form players, not based on reputation, but that means we have no foundation. France are a great example of a 'machine team'. They always pick generally the same players there for it is no surprise why they can do those no look passes etc.

This WC, my expectations are the quarters. If somehow, which I doubt, we get into the semi's than I will be more than happy. With all my hate put aside to Camacho, I will still cheer Spain and make so much noise they will be able to hear me in South Korea (you think I'm joking).

P.S: To all the people who want to hear something positive, did you guys ever think that France also had a simular reputation to always choking? So when you think about it, I think 1 day we will be able to pull it off, I honestly think 2006 will be that year. If you think we have talent now, look at us in 2006.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I do agree with Spaniard, I think a foreign coach is good idea. Alot of these Spanish coaches are way too stubborn and influenced by politics. They don't pick the players they should and always seem to do exactly the opposite of what the media or general public is yelling at them. Don't get me wrong I don't think a coach should pick a team based on what the media or public want. But, sometimes, the the public is correct. For example, Euro 96, Clemente was heavily critized for not taking Raul even though he was only like 18 or 19 years old. What other choices did he have? He ended up having to rely on Salinas?!! Why did he do this? Already Raul had been notching goals in like crazy for Real, why not give the youngster a chance, like England did with Owen. It's not like he had a ton of options for forwards. Once again, Clemente screwed up FRance'98. Everyone, thought he should try Morientes up front. Instead for the first two games he used every combination except Morientes. He finally brought Morientes out against Paraguay in the 55th minute. Finally, he uses him as a starter against Bulgaria and he notches in 2 goals! A little too late! And I don't even want to get into Clemente's basque buddy, Zubi! Camacho, same stubborness! Everyone is telling him to take Morientes to Euro 2000, instead he takes Urzaiz!!! Atleast Camacho admitted that he was wrong for not taking him, which is more than Clemente ever admitted. My point is like Spaniard pointed out a foreign coach would be good, because there would be no politics, and hopefully only the very best players would be chosen. I also agree that we should have a foundation like FRance, Holland, etc... It's alright to try new players, but when your trying out 8 or 9 players every international game, you'll never achieve a foundation where all the players play well and gell together.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
i just want to wish you guys luck in the WC....i hope to see your "A" as I do enjoy watching you guys play...very talented and entertaining.....it only benefits the game of futebol when a great soccer nation like spain can play well and entertain....it just makes for a better WC...

Good luck Spain...

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
a foreing coach??
of what nationality??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts