Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Certainly one of the World's best coaches and he's won everything where ever he's coached,yet has only won the European Cup/Champions League once in 1994 with Milan against Barcelona 4-0.So has Capello in some way's underachieved in Europe?As much as I admire him you could think that one trophy in Europe is quite low for such a brilliant manager.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
No, it's hard to win 1 CL and he did. He has a special talent to make consistent teams, but this is not enough always. The truth is that you see the individual players of Juve and most of them are good, because the system makes them good, not because they're big big players.

I think it's a problem of this kind of coaches (Van Gaal, Mourinho,...), they want soldiers to obbey and they despise talent many times.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just more a question than anything,undoubtedly to win the CL even once is an outstanding achievement but Capello's success speaks for itself where ever he's gone.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
He's underacheieved for 12 years now. Full stop.

Sure, you can say, as K4, that winning the CL once is hard enough, but that doesn't excuse him of numerous failures running for more than a decade. Having won it once doesn't mean he can lean back and say "fuck it, I won it already, I'm untouchable"....no! It's about time Europe as a whole updated the take on Capello...it's not a miracle maker...it's not King Midas...it's a pragmatical grumpy old man who's found out a system of football that usually does well in domestic competitions because his team can maul down all the teams in the bottom half without playing well at all and still win the 3 points--this is enough to win or do very well in most championships. But in Europe he has no ideas at all, he's clueless. It's not only bad luck Roma never played a knock-out game in the CL under Capello, he tried to play catenaccio with the best offensive team in Italy at the time in games we had to win...the result, always, arrivederci Roma, please try again. And now two years running with Juventus: he has no excuses whatsoever. He has, by own admission his 'dream squad', Daddy bought him every player he pointed at, yet his whole gameplan consists of waiting for a silly mistake of the opposition. If the opponent makes no mistakes, like Arsenal, like Liverpool 2005, he has no chance to progress, because he has no ideas how to win a game from the bench.

And he deserves it too, the self-important, arrogant footballing caveman that he is.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Zanettiforever an advice, read the title of the thread and then edit your post before someone else sees it. ;)

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
He won one CL (in a marvelous way) with Milan, came close to win 2 other ones (the one lost to a probably doped and cheating OM).

At RM he was just one season I think, and they werent playing in an European competition. He became champ with them. Sure, domestic title only, but he had not no other chance to win some european glory with them.

With Roma... well, dont remember exactly how "bad" his record were with Roma, but did you guys expect Roma to be a major contender for European glory in the CL.

At Juve... well, yes, Juve's performance in Europe hasnt been exactly thrilling in the last two seasons. However I think the problem is not only the coach in this case, but simply the team itself.

So no, IMO Capello hasnt underachieved in Europe.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
uhh... just think about it.. he insists on gettin trez and zlatan played where as they dont really bring success in lately... he lets Mutu play wide where he has no creative options while at romania he's a constant threat... hes been more of a threat to Czech all alone than Trez and Zlatan TOGETHER in the most games with a way stronger midfield to deliver balls... you got Viera and Emerson and they are so bound to their roles that they cant use their own capacities to the fullest... look at their strong defense... still they concede goals because the team is so defensive-minded that nobody has to fear a real counter threat... Trez and Zlatan arent exactly dangerous against an organised defense... all u gotta do is put one player on trez and annoy zlatan... zlatan doesnt twist a defense up anymore... his goal scoring abilities are very limited, his extravagant passes go nowhere... and one good assist per 5 games isnt enough for a top player...

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
With Roma... well, dont remember exactly how "bad" his record were with Roma, but did you guys expect Roma to be a major contender for European glory in the CL.
NO, but I expected at least a 1/4 final once, we had great squad back then. But it's not only the results, the performances were mostly shameful too, we had like 3 wins at home for 2 years in the group stages of CL under Capello, usually playing ugly defensive football. He was such a coward he put 4 DM in the midfield against Houllier's Liverpool in decisive game in 2002, no wonder we lost.

With Milan, I was too young back then, but considering the squad he had at his disposal and the legacy Sacchi left him, I don't think 1 CL is such a fantastic achievement, certainly not enough to cancel all the poor results and performances ever since.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Demandred said:
But it's not only the results, the performances were mostly shameful too, we had like 3 wins at home for 2 years in the group stages of CL under Capello, usually playing ugly defensive football.
If I recall correctly, we were the first team ever in the history of the Champions League to advance from a group without scoring a single goal at home. What's even more infuriating than Capello having a team with Montella, Totti, Cafú, Batigol, Delvecchio, Cassano, to name just our starstudded offensive bulk, play so defensive and bad football that WE COULDN'T SCORE A SINGLE GOAL AT HOME is that Capello saw it as an achievement, and was proud of having been able to do it. Mavaffa...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts