Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Hehe:tongue: Look who's here;) But Ashikin, you gotta write a bit more...one-liners will not attract many responses:eek:
Anyway, as for your question......
I personally rate Cameroon and Nigeria very highly. I think they are as good as any European team with the exception of Italy or France maybe. The draw is not too kind for Nigeria cuz even if they manage to become 2nd in their group, they will probably end up playing France in the 2nd Round. So it is difficult to predict whether they have what it takes to reach the quarters:rolleyes:
And Cameroon's group is no wallkover either......Germany, Ireland and even Saudi Arabia isn't going to be easy by any means. But I have high hopes for them. According to my calculations, Cameroon will probably face Spain or Paraguay in the 2nd round, either of which they have the capability to beat......
So long pal;)............and try to keep posting here:)

·
Registered
333 Posts
African soccer is on the clock, and the clock is ticking.
The Hype has been building over the years about African football.
The last 2 WC's have seen 13 Eurpopean teams and 3 South American teams in the quarters.

Nigeria and Cameroon obviously have the talent, but need the temperament as well. Senegal showed me something during the African Nations Cup.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Figo Rules is correct, they certainly have the talent (Cameroon and Nigeria mainly) but the problem is that they all have pretty tough groups, and many people think South Africa, Senegal and Tunisia are among the favoruties to finish last.

Cameroon has an excellent chance to get out of Group E. If they can sneak a draw with Germany and Ireland, and win against Saudi Arabia, then they have a great chance of making the second round. Nigeria I am not so confident about.

I don't think any African side can go as far as the Quarters, but maybe they will prove us wrong.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I would not be surprised if Nigeria and/or Cameroon make the 1/4's. Senegal is an unkown team to me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
we (Africa) still has a long ways to go to play football at a consistant hight level. That being said, Cameroon has been consistent since 2000. They have been the best team in Africa for a long time.

Outside of Africa, people might think that next to Cameroon that Nigeria seems to be the next best. Senegal to me seems to be the next best to Cameroon. Then Nigeria.

The 3 countries play different form of football. Cameroon is very physical and play a direct style of football. They hardly dribble and do a lot of off the ball running. They don't like playing with the ball in the back. And hence I think I will pick Cameroon to give Germany, Ireland and of course Saudi Arabia a lot of trouble. You have to consider the elements (weather) will also be in Cameroon's favor. Also to their advantage is that most European countries still have this view that Africans are not smart enough to harness their talent into victory... don't bet against Cameroon...they can play ugly effective European football. so they fit right in their group.

Senegal. In the last ANC, played and beat Nigeria with 10 men for over 70 minutes... played Cameroon for a full 120 minutes and lost in PKs to Cameroon in finals...they beat Egypt, Morroco to qualify for the WC. As you can see, they have gotten to the WC the long way. Their group is tough with France, Denmark and Uruaguay. After the first game against france, the rest of the group and the world will take note of Senegal. France will not have the space it needs to operate. Senegal packs it in and depend on counters to score. Have very fast and strong players all down the lineup. Since ZiZo will be missing that game, I think France will be stretched ...remember opening games are always tough. It is a tough group. I will not be surprised if the unexpected happens but conventional wisdoms says France and someone else.... but I see things changing after the first game.

Nigeria.
A good team with a lot of young players. The one player (Oliseh) they dropped due to Non-footballing reason is the one position they have not found a replacement yet. That aside, people who don't know Nigeria don't know that they play better when the jersies lined up in front of them are big names. In their 2 past WCs, they have topped their group in 94 it had Argentina, Bulgaria and Greece. Everyone thought Greece and Nigeria will be battling on who will finish last. In 98, Spain, Bulgaria and Paraguay were all in the same group. Many said it was Spain and anyone else... guess who left France after the first week of the tourney?

This year it is Argentina that is supposed to make it out with England... and some did not inform Sweden and Nigeria that they were there to help prepare Argentina for the match to the finals.

All I will say to Argentina is to call Spain and ask them what happened. We have played Argentina thrice with a record of 1-1-1 and they have never scored in regular run of play.

I would not even mention England... their press have given the boys enough ammunition already. Against England it is personal...

In summation, it is paramount that Africa give a good account of themselves. Starting May 31st... We hope to change all that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cameroon is very promising in this World Cup. I am not so sure about the quarters but they will certainly get out the group ( I beleive as the leader)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Cameroon will make it out of group and will be eliminated once faced up against a European super power.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I reckon Cameroon are well capable of beating any team in their or Spain's group, so a quarter-final is well possible.

·
International
9,526 Posts
1-1-GoalessDraw said:

I would not even mention England... their press have given the boys enough ammunition already. Against England it is personal...

In summation, it is paramount that Africa give a good account of themselves. Starting May 31st... We hope to change all that.
why? you need to get over what you read in the press. It dominates your attitude towards other teams far too much.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
I think Cameroon could do great in this WC, mainly because of 2 reasons: 1) To me it looks like they're at their peak right now (playing great, splendid talents, won ACN in January), and their draw is relatively easy, certainly better then Nigeria. If they manage to get out of their group I can see them going at least until the quarters or maybe semis.

Although I don't really know much about Nigeria's current squad I think that they were unlucky to be drawn in the group of death. If that wasn't enough, if they manage to get out of it they will probably face France right in the 1/8 finals... :sigh:

I don't know much about Tunisia neither, so I won't comment but if their team is good enough they could make it out of their group since the draw is do'able. Having said that I believe they will finish bottom of their group. ;)

Lastly about South Africa...I read that they used 42 players during the whole qualifying tournament (8 games), and if I understand correctly changed 3 coaches in the last 3 years. So much for stability. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
although Nigeria have great individuals, they lack team unity and consistency.
but Cameroon are completely different. i was massively impressed with their performance against England, and although England played poorly, Cameroon were extremely well organised and have some real stars in the making. their players have expereiance at the top (Lauren, Etoo, Geremi, etc), and they should be able to give Ireland and Germany a real run for their money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There seems to be a lot of fuss about Nigeria's and Cameroon's chances, but look at what has Senegal just done. Who could've imagined that? In my opinion, this World Cup will totally change the hierarchy of today's football. The forthcoming domination of Africa!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Alav said:
There seems to be a lot of fuss about Nigeria's and Cameroon's chances, but look at what has Senegal just done. Who could've imagined that? In my opinion, this World Cup will totally change the hierarchy of today's football. The forthcoming domination of Africa!
Alav, I could have imagined it... read my posts about their chances... I have been consistent. And am not even Senegalese.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
1-1-GoalessDraw said:
All I will say to Argentina is to call Spain and ask them what happened. We have played Argentina thrice with a record of 1-1-1 and they have never scored in regular run of play.
Yes, but let's not forget that Nigeria also won that game because Spain beat themselves. Should have really ended 2-2. But because of that puta's unbelievable mistake "Zubizaretta" we lost. Nigeria demonstrated against Denmark, that they still have a long way to go. But, I do agree that if any African team is going to do something, it's Cameroon, they look good. Now, then again we just saw what Senegal did against FRance, so who knows.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey man, get off Zubizaretta, already forgotten what Raul did in the clash between Spain and France? He can be blamed as well, if not more. Generally - ignorance pisses me off. Zubi is a player that gave Spain far more that Raul, so no sense in discrediting him, no doubt. Unless you are affected by the team you belong to...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Please get off Zubi... If Raul had buried his chances earlier in the game, like the Laudrop brothers did in the Second round game, the game would not have been close.

The last goal against Spain was pretty lucky IMO... but your display in the first game could easily be attributed to over confidence not because we were better than you guys...

But on Sunday, we shall beat Argentina not because of luck but because we are better than them... :tongue:

·
International
9,526 Posts
hindsight is a terrible thing I know, but Nigeria didn't look particularly impressive against Argie. On that showing, I feel reasonably confident of a result, not necessarily a win, but not a loss.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts