Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Åge Hareide has signed a 3 year deal, making him the new Rosenborg coach when Eggen retires after this season. After a short vacation now, he'll take a place in the coaching staff this season, to get to know everything, before he takes over as head coach/manager after this season.

It's also been revealed that Sollied was RBKs first choice, and whenever he wants to return to Norwegian football, he'll be reinstated as RBK coach. Sollied said he didn't feel like he was finished with European football yet, and thought Hareide would be a good choice in the mean time.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Since Trond Sollied wasn't available, Åge Hareide is a good choose as new Rosenborg-coach.

I must say that I like to hear his first words:

- I plan to build a new team as soon as possible. We'll have to replace some central players.

...there's no secret that Nils Arne Eggen haven't done so much to build a new team with young talents as Hassan El Fakiri, Christer George and so on. Instead have Eggen used players like Olsen, Stensaas and Belsvik...

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
This is what i believe is Eggen's major shortcoming. He has spent most of his life and Rosenborg and has not learnt to adapt to the changing demands of football. For any team to challenge in europe (and domestically it seems now as well) there needs to be certain things most notably;

* a mix of youth and experience (where is the youth in RBK's midfield with all their players "over the hill" [i.e 30years old], not to mention the two wings [where is the speed???] and of course the famed central defence [which runs at about turtle speed these days :yawn: ] and is indeed becoming world famous. Even soccernet.com knows about it :eekani:!!!

and

* having a large enough squad to cope with injuries. I know Eggen's strength is not using many squad players and settling on a first XI which develops a sense of continuity. This is fine if you have adequate cover in key positions. One only has to look at what happened in the games against PSG in the CL nearly 2 years ago. In the home leg, Hoftun (who reads the game very well but is probably too slow even for the Tippeliga now) apparently marked Anelka out of the game, but when he was suspended in the away leg, we all know what happened (and no need to elaborate either :D )

This is why Eggen should have done what Hareide and Sollied did and that was coach abroad. What may be acceptable (or was given the way things are looking) in the Tippeliga may not be acceptable in european competition and this is the comp that Rosenborg should get more serious about (just qualifying is not good enough and i don't even think they'll be seeded for the 3rd qualifying round this year). Any sane bugger can see what Rosenborgs problems are but for some reason Eggen can't see it. Whether it has something to do with being loyal to his senior players like Hoftun, Skammelsrud etc.... or some other reason i don't know but if Eggen thinks he can go places with his team of "Senior citizens" then he is just deluding himself.

BTW i was unsure if Hareide preferred a 4-4-2 but it has been clarified that he prefers 4-3-3. Does he know the RBK system??? Cause it would seem weird for RBK to hire a coach that didn't

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Andreas said:
just qualifying is not good enough and i don't even think they'll be seeded for the 3rd qualifying round this year
I agree with you, Andreas, in the most you have written, but I think qualifying for the Champions League for the 8th time in row is good enough... And yes; Rosenborg is not seeded this year.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
i agree with many things that have been said, i think that eggen has lost his touch. i think that there's no reason why he shouldn't use el fakiri. i also think that he should be more careful when he lashes out at by riise, that is no way to build a team.

i also think that is good that sollied didn't return to rosenborg, he has a bright future other places in europe.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Wow, this must be my first ever post in this forum. :D

Just here to shoot in that Hareide should be interesting (hopefully for a change :D:angel:;)) after all this time of Eggenism. I heard that he was quite successful in Sweden and Denmark after leaving Molde, so he should be up for the job. :)

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
This is really the best solution for Rosenborg, and I hope that this will either bring RBK to the top of Europe, or do the contrary and create even more tension around the league title in Norway, and perhaps give us a new champion.

Although like most do I agree a bit with Andreas, I don't think this is the time or place to discuss Eggen's qualities in a negative way. He has been the best coach in Norwegian league football ever, and I think any coach will have a hard time following in his footsteps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts