·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Ramadan Kareem everyone :)

May all our fasting and prayers be accepted, insh'Allah

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just out of curiosity: does Ramadan start at different days depending on the region? A paper I read had a headliner that "Turkish ramadan starts today" ; I found that odd as I expected the ramadan to be the same month for the entire Muslim population?

Anyways, happy ramadan guys. :thumbsup:
The month starts with the first crescent of a new moon. Many countries still hold to the traditional way of eyesight evidence to determine when a new moon occurs. So people in Egypt may see the first crescent and fast, while people in Iran or Indonesia might not and thus postpone their fasting.

Few countries like Libya use astronomical calculations to determine when a month starts. This should be the standard method in determining the start of the month in my opinion.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Ramadan Kareem everyone.

Hectic so far...the cool thing is the shortened work-schedule, but naturally it doesn't apply to Mr. Haytham-san here in the office....had my meal 2 hours late. :sigh: I had to break fast on a hot-chocolate.

I hope today and the rest of the days I can manage to do it on time.

·
African WC haha
5,934 Posts
Ramadaan Mubarak everyone :)

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Haytham, how come you don't get to leave early too?

This is obviously my first Ramadan as a "wife" and in a household where others are fasting. So yesterday I came home from work and was rushing around trying to get lentil soup made before maghrib and a meal together afterwards. Hopefully, this starts to run slightly more smoothly today as it was all a little hectic!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts

This is obviously my first Ramadan as a "wife" and in a household where others are fasting. So yesterday I came home from work and was rushing around trying to get lentil soup made before maghrib and a meal together afterwards. Hopefully, this starts to run slightly more smoothly today as it was all a little hectic!

You are not fasting yourself?

When I lived in Turkey, I was one of the only non-muslims at work. I had to eat during daytime together with the approx 4 or 5 other foreigners and about 4 or 5 Turks who chose not to do the ramadan. So apart from us 10 all had to eat during the evening when it was evening shift, as a result the 10 of us who had already eaten had to take care of all incoming phone calls alone during rush hour, because all others were eating then... But hey, no complaints about that whatsoever.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Today I managed to cram everything in the morning, my colleauges helped me out, a little multi tasking here and there, I was outta the office by...*ahem* 5.00pm (work hours are till 2.00pm)...iftar is at 6.40pm.

Eh...not so bad. Tomorrow exit target is 4.00pm Insh'Allah!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Is following the ramadan obligatory by law in most countries or is it a personal choice everyone has to make for himself (this is how it is in Turkey although I experience the majority does do the fasting... Of my friends and colleagues when I lived there only a small minority did not fast but I doubt they were muslims anyway)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is following the ramadan obligatory by law in most countries or is it a personal choice everyone has to make for himself (this is how it is in Turkey although I experience the majority does do the fasting... Of my friends and colleagues when I lived there only a small minority did not fast but I doubt they were muslims anyway)
It's a personal choice, just like prayer and pilgrimage.
You can choose to not fast Ramadan, but you have to feed one poor person.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
You are not fasting yourself?

When I lived in Turkey, I was one of the only non-muslims at work. I had to eat during daytime together with the approx 4 or 5 other foreigners and about 4 or 5 Turks who chose not to do the ramadan. So apart from us 10 all had to eat during the evening when it was evening shift, as a result the 10 of us who had already eaten had to take care of all incoming phone calls alone during rush hour, because all others were eating then... But hey, no complaints about that whatsoever.
No I am fasting but I'm used to being the only person in the home fasting so when it came to eating, it was usually a very quick, easy meal. But now there are two of us and one person who is used meals where the whole family would break fast with specific foods etc, there is a lot more effort put into cooking and what is going to be eaten.

Haytham, like you, the second day ran much more smoothly.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Ramadan Kareem everyone.

This year is so heart breaking for me since I am fasting Ramadan all alone away from my family, I did spend some days at my fiance's and they were brilliant, I did UMRAH as well and it was brilliant.

By the way, we wrote our book last wednesday, ktbna elkitab and it was also great! :D:D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ramadan Kareem everyone.

This year is so heart breaking for me since I am fasting Ramadan all alone away from my family, I did spend some days at my fiance's and they were brilliant, I did UMRAH as well and it was brilliant.

By the way, we wrote our book last wednesday, ktbna elkitab and it was also great! :D:D
Congratulations for doing Umrah, and Ramadan Kareem to everyone else.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Congrats on also becoming a married man during Ramadan Pooh!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts