Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBC:
Yassin had been returning from morning prayers at the mosque
Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, spiritual head of Palestinian militant group Hamas, has been killed in an Israeli air strike.
He was targeted as he returned from a mosque in Gaza City at daybreak. Five others were killed and some 15 wounded.

Thousands of angry Palestinians took to the streets of Gaza in protest and Hamas said Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon had "opened the gates of hell".

The Israeli army said Sheikh Yassin had been "personally responsible" for attacks that had killed many Israelis.

Security forces killed the Hamas leader in an air strike on his car in northern Gaza Strip, an army statement said.

Yassin was responsible for encouraging despicable attacks during his life - his death may prove to be an even more inspiring event for future suicide bombers

Boris, Thornhill, Canada

Have Your Say
Reports from the scene said Sheikh Yassin was being pushed in his wheelchair when he was directly hit by a missile.

The remains of the 67-year-old cleric's blood-soaked wheelchair could be seen outside the mosque.

Two bodyguards were reported to be among five people killed. At least 15 people were wounded, including two of Yassin's sons.

'War'

One witness who lives near the mosque said there was chaos after the air strike.

"I looked to see where Sheikh Ahmed Yassin was," he said. "He was lying on the ground and his wheelchair was destroyed.

"People there darted left and right. Then another two missiles landed."

Profile of Sheikh Yassin
In pictures: Yassin killed
Outside the morgue at Shifa Hospital, Hamas official Ismail Haniyeh confirmed Yassin's death.

"This is the moment Sheikh Yassin dreamed about," he said.

"Sheikh Yassin lived and died and offered his life to Palestine. Sheikh Yassin was a hero and a fighter and the leader of a nation, and [he] is in heaven now."

The Hamas leadership said Ariel Sharon had "opened the gates of hell".

"The battle is open and war between us and them is open. They are the killers of prophets and today they killed an Islamic symbol," said senior Hamas political leader Abdul Aziz al Rantissi.

After news of the killing broke crowds took to the streets in Gaza, denouncing Israel and calling for revenge.

"We will send death to every house, every city, every street in Israel," shouted Hamas militants through loudspeakers.

A few hours later a loud explosion was heard at the Erez crossing point between Israel and the Gaza Strip.

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei called the attack on Sheikh Yassin a "dangerous, cowardly act".

Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat told the BBC: "This will add fuel to the fire, and the cycle of violence and counter-violence."

He said the only way to stop suicide attacks was to "end the occupation of Palestinian territories".

'Marked for death'

Israeli Deputy Defence Minister Zeev Boim said Yassin had been behind a terror network in Gaza and was what he called "marked for death".

Who are Hamas?
Military sources told the BBC the attack on Yassin was personally organised and directed by Mr Sharon.

At a cabinet meeting last week, formal authorisation was given to attack and kill specific targets Israel says were responsible for the twin suicide attack in the port of Ashdod on 14 March that killed 10 Israelis.

The BBC's Wyre Davies in Jerusalem says the decision to target such a high profile figure is a significant move and Israel is likely to be on high alert in expectation of a response from Hamas.

In the first reaction from the US, the state department appealed for calm. A senior official urged all sides to show restraint.

Israel has warned on many occasions that it would target the Hamas chief after the militant group killed scores of Israelis.

A few months ago, they narrowly missed him after firing on a house where he had been having lunch with fellow Hamas members a short while earlier.

Israel sealed off the West Bank and Gaza Strip after the killing, barring Palestinians from entering the Jewish state.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3556099.stm

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hope this won't be the start of escalated violence, but rather the start of a more peaceful time. There's no doubt that many Palestinians will be mad about this, but then I believe that there is no doubt that Yassin was responsible for countless crimes and acts of terror. I was wondering for a long time why Israel didn't do anything against Yassin, when they killed so many other Hamas top guys, and why did Israel choose to kill him now?

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Hamas has claimed Israel has opened the gates of hell now. You can say a lot of things about Hamas, but not that they kid around in matters as these. Sharon knew this would happen. What should we think about democratically elected leaders that unleash such risks on their own people?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Disregarding who's right or who's wrong in this whole conflict, for me it's clear that Israel is holding the key to stop the escalasion.

And as gOD said, Sharon hasn't been acting in a responsible way. I can't imagine the Israeli people still having faith in him, but what do I know.

Anyway I have a strong opinion about the Palestina situation, but I don't feel like being the first to derail the topic ;)

ADRIAAN
_______

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
adriaan said:
Anyway I have a strong opinion about the Palestina situation, but I don't feel like being the first to derail the topic ;)
Well then let me be the first. With this assassination Israel is bringing the entire world in danger. Hamas has said that they will now call on several Muslim-organisation in the entire world to carry out attacks. This because 1 nation is occupying a territory that is not their's and is humiliating the people living there to the bone. that has got to stop now.

On this very moment Israel is in violation of 86 UN-resoltions, last year a war was carried out against a country because it was said to violate 1 resolution.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
the Isreali government wants to stop terrorism?
than maybe they should stop provoking the terrorist

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
So, by this war crime Sharon imagines that he can kill the liberation spirit in the Palestinians

he's such an IDIOT cause he doesn'y know what is the meaning of being under occupation

and just as Al-Rantisi said
Sharon has just opened the HELL doors
and even the USA with it's nuclear arsenal can't close these doors

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Orange said:
but then I believe that there is no doubt that Yassin was responsible for countless crimes and acts of terror.
Is this crippled, half blind, aged person
who can't move a hand or even blink
is the responsible for countless crimes and acts of terror as you said

I think this is not true at all

and what Sharon did is the PEACE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big military or terrorist leaders don't need to have strong bodies. He was the spiritual leader of Hamas, and the spirit can be strong in a weak body. I myself have seen him on tv many times saying how hamas was responsible for terrorist attacks and how this was a good thing. Obviously Hamas is working against peace in every way, and this man was their leader.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Terrorism committed by a nation and just because its America's best friend they can go scot free.

If Ariel Sharon can give one good reason about how this will actually help de-escalate the already volatile situation then I am all ears.Neither Arafat nor Sharon are interested in peace and such random acts of terrorrism will never see an end to the conflict which has seen the loss of so many lives.

Today Israel is the terrorist because no matter how "guilty" this crippled spiritual leader of Hamas was,it doesnt give any nation or individual to carry out such illegal actions.

Nobody is above the law though the actions of the prsent Israeli government certainly suggests otherwise.:rollani:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
There is a BIG difference between the Spirit Leader or the God Father and the field Leader

and Yassin was a Spirit Leader not a field leader

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shaf said:
Today Israel is the terrorist because no matter how "guilty" this crippled spiritual leader of Hamas was,it doesnt give any nation or individual to carry out such illegal actions.
Is it terrorism to kill someone who has sent countless bombers your way? No that's self defence.

Just like I would never want to kill anyone, if a person came in the door with a gun, wanting to kill me or my family, I would have to protect myself.

They didn't kill some innocent people that were sitting in a cafe or taking the bus, and this wasn't soldiers shooting at boys with rocks. This was the leader of a terrorist organization being killed.

If USA kills Osama Bin Laden, would that be a terrorist act?

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
If the guy was indeed the mind behind Hamas, I can't possibly not agree that him being dead is overal something he deserved. However, killing some grandfather will not stop Hamas and this will certainly motivated even more.

Causing a wound on a tiger might make it a bit more weak, but it also makes it more angry.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gooner4life said:
There is a BIG difference between the Spirit Leader or the God Father and the field Leader

and Yassin was a Spirit Leader not a field leader
You are probably right. But this guy was one of the leaders of Hamas, and he said it loud and clear many times, go out and kill. When a man in such a position says that, then it makes him just as guilty as the field leaders.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AMOROSO! said:
Causing a wound on a tiger might make it a bit more weak, but it also makes it more angry.
Yes, so the real question is, why did they kill him now?

I have seen speculation that it is because Israel is thinking about pulling out of Gaza completely, and they didn't want to leave with their tail between their legs.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I did love this guy more than my father!He is a paralised man with only his tongue and alittle to see by his lift eye and still made those mothers feckers sh!tting in their pants whenever he spoke or shown on tv!

"Edit"

**** PEACE!Peace will not bring my beloved back!

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
hey people!
sharon killed not only the spirit leader, he also killed the very small peace hope we had in the case of bush would not be reelected.
it's time for that all of the country leaders say something about what's going on right now. seems the international laws are completly forgot since a country (you know which one i'm thinking of) had cynically pissed on! the gates are open!

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Some great level-headed posts in this thread...

1 - 20 of 430 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.